Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
This is the first season 1 since 2005, right? RTD really said "I'll loving do it again".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lines
Aug 18, 2013

That's a nice interview (though what is with the overwhelming popularity of astrology nowadays! Just do not get the appeal). Really excited to see his Doctor in action.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Finally watched The Caves of Androzani. Thought it was really quite good (the other half called it 'solidly not bad, though I would have liked it to hate women less'. I'm not going to show them any Colin Baker).

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Rochallor posted:

I hate Chibnall but The Woman Who Fell to Earth isn't a terrible start. There's never a moment when Thirteen falls off a cliff, it's just a consistent steep decline.

I'll line up to kick Inferno, it's not a terrible story but it's way too long and easily the weakest story of the season.

The thing is I don't think Thirteen is a consistent decline episode-to-episode, in that there are individual episodes which are better than the last one! But the baseline is just constantly dropping so that you get yourself in the indignity I was in of trying to convince myself that any part of Flux was good. It was like being a boiling frog.

It's going to be weird when RTD's Who is like, mid, but mid-RTD is just so much better than Chibnall on a good day that it'll seem like the best poo poo ever.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

There's some 15 year old somewhere for whom Thirteen is their favourite era of the show and it's going to be quite strange when they are grown up and looking back on that era nostalgically.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

In FFXIV guns are named after someone called Gunnhildr.

The best part is that this is also true in reality, probably.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Delightful stuff. More of that please!

lines
Aug 18, 2013

It seems like a good change. The comments on YouTube there seem to hate it though so I worry it'll become a canard to criticise RTD's work with, "he's making the show too PC" or that kinda thing. Not that I don't think he or the show can weather it, it's just annoying. But gently caress 'em!

The element of the new design I particularly like is the bringing back of the Genesis-esque "I Can't Believe They're Not Nazi Stormtrooper" uniforms. It's nice to really emphasise that Davros' perspective was/is a fascistic one, even before the rest of his people got welded into the pepperpots.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Would be nice to see, e.g. a wheelchair-using companion at some point, or in general have more disabled representation on the show. For all Chibnall's faults and how unevenly it was done, I have dyspraxia, and while it doesn't impact me as much as it did Ryan it has had an impact on my life and it was good to see a character on screen explicitly struggle with it by name.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Dabir posted:

When he wasn't flawlessly headshotting alien robots because he'd played Call of Duty before that is

To be fair I am pretty good at video games but also can't manipulate basic objects in space very well so #accurate, but yes, that's that Chibnall writing magic.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Matinee posted:

The mistake is thinking of the doctors by their number.

There is no “Tenth Doctor”, there is no “Second Doctor” etc, they all exist in some eternal quantum present, but our puny human minds can’t perceive time and causality that way.

*exhales, puts down bong*

I actually wonder if RTD is going to make moves in that direction, what with the line about canons being re-written, bringing “non-canon” characters from the old marvel comics like beep the meep into the show, even the “Season One” stuff.

E: I don’t think “Whoniverse” is just a branding exercise, put it that way.

In some ways if the revelations of the Timeless Child meant anything they're an excuse to have infinite doctors in infinite order, I suppose.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Have discovered that my partner has barely watched any Who so I have begun inflicting Tennant's era on them. We watched Tooth and Claw yesterday and I have to say I did not remember the inexplicable kung fu monks who sort of just disappear from the plot about halfway through. What's... with them?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Dabir posted:

Yeah the monks were werewolf cultists who wanted to wolf Queen Victoria so they'd rule the British Empire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9fibQvAz48

Right yeah I got that, I just wasn't sure why they did kung fu about it.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Fil5000 posted:

I feel like people are overlooking this perfectly reasonable explanation for 19th century kung fu monks

Oh to be clear this has given me all the explanation I needed.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

This was an interesting watch for what they did and didn't include, especially re: Chibnall's era.

https://youtu.be/s46TZDTTFdM?si=jVZD-FA-bUkvN8Pt

lines
Aug 18, 2013

WERE BBAK BABEY

ok as a trans person I thought some things were handled a bit clumsily but clearly in a way designed to upset internet chuds so uh, fine, and also, it's rusty, he knows writers who use subtext and they're all cowards, and furthermore

WERE BBAK BABEY

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Love that we literally got this.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

That's strange because I just listened to the theme song and it said you were the Meep's friend?

https://youtu.be/sDwUmH4F2Pg?si=6voXqsjfX1ywiHdE

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Dongicus posted:

the conversation between donna and her mum seemed genuine and sweet but the other stuff was really dumb imo

It was extremely clumsy in a way that feels grindingly familiar from rusty's writing in this and other shows, yeah. But for me I guess I was just like - yeah fine whatever. I forgive this show a lot worse.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

So... does anyone have ANY guesses as to what the next episode is actually about?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Personally I don't have much sensitivity to my old name - I mean I never get called it really now, but it doesn't make me wince. With that caveat for me personally what they did with Rose in that regard actually worked for me quite well. I hadn't considered this issue with it being Trivia, though. Frankly I'm very ill-humoured at the thought of that.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I do think the BBC seems to be avoiding any criticism here, but from my reading of this residuals story it's going to have had major input from the BBC/BBC Studios. I actually suspect the putting of all the old episodes onto iPlayer might have had something to do with the renegotiation too.

I'm personally more relaxed about the Disney creative input thing than others are. Fundamentally with a naive showrunner I would be more worried but this is by no means Rusty's first rodeo and it's not Julie Gardner's either (I think she is one of the Bad Wolf bosses?) RTD is not lacking in commercial mindset - this is the man who approved officially licensed Frubes - but I think he will also fight for the things that matter.

Also I'm fairly sure the IP remains very firmly under the control of the BBC? They may not be doing production in-house but Doctor Who is essentially the crown jewels for them, they won't let it go. (Also, the BBC is also not lacking in pointy-headed bosses who would want to cut pro-trans content: perhaps more than Disney.)

So yeah - I understand why people are worried, but there is no indication that the flagship show is going to be any kind of Disney IP in the Marvel vein.

What's more interesting is the Whoniverse branding and all the talk of quite a few spinoffs. I do think that point about Star Trek is worth considering. Rusty wanted to do the shared universe thing before it was in vogue, he's been very clear that he never stopped wanting to do it - I think we're going to get yards and yards of Doctor Who spinoffs, almost certainly of variable quality. I could imagine Disney having a much tighter grasp over one or more of them.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Edward Mass posted:

FINALLY had a chance to watch it. Knowing the twist in advance, I can say it was Fine, which is better than most of 13's run.

Also...how old is Rose Temple supposed to be? Because she looks older than would be possible, given Donna got married in 2009/2010.

She's supposed to be 15. Yasmin was 19 at filming so it's a bit of a stretch but not ridiculous I think.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Say what you like about Chibnall - and I have - I never heard much bad about behind the scenes stuff in his era. This being said he brought Barrowman back - I'm all for people making restitution and second chances, but when it's back in a role associated with your inappropriate behaviour it's a bit poor taste.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

I may be wrong here but I think Barrowman returned prior to the accusations.

Wad he in it a second time after them? I've missed quite a few Fourteen episodes.

Yeah, in, uh, what was it, the one where he breaks the Doctor out of prison? I definitely thought that was after the accusations were known (though they've been an open secret for some time I think).

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Yeah looking at the dates I'm wrong in that it didn't hit the news until the middle of the year, but I could have sworn I heard about it years before. Hard to say really.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

That was just "this is what a good weekly episode of Doctor Who is" as a thesis statement. Nailed it IMO. They should get the guy who made this in to run the show!

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Rochallor posted:

The initial cut where the imposter beasts first come into play was really odd, going from Tennant standing over the orange cabinet to peering through the blue shelves, and I went back and rewatched it because it felt like I had missed something, but then of course you learn a couple minutes later it's purposely disorienting and jarring. That, plus the scene last week with the laser blasts bouncing harmlessly off the car turning out to be a plot point, makes this feel like a show that actively rewards paying attention, is not afraid to mess with a viewer's expectation, and basically is not designed to be CGI wallpaper like some eras that I could mention.

I thought that cut was masterfully done and a great example of editing telling the story.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

In retrospect, I don't know why Chibnall was SO crap at the job. I really wanted to like his stuff - I was still going into Flux going "trust in the Chibnall plan"! But ultimately he just didn't have the juice, did he? Moffat more or less did - I mean not that there aren't criticisms there, obviously there are, as there are with RTD - but Chibnall was really, genuinely A Bit Crap, wasn't he? Sad really - seems like a nice guy!

lines
Aug 18, 2013

marktheando posted:

I still can't quite believe that after this next special there's an actual series not long after. we don't have to wait for years

AND a Christmas special basically in the same run?! We are feasting!

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I never bothered to finish Flux, can someone give a quick summary of whatever the newest episode references before I watch it?

The Doctor's adopted mum unleashes an evil antimatter space cloud and escapes to the next universe over because this one is full of people who believe in the Doctor, which is rubbish. Half the universe is destroyed. Nobody visibly has any real feelings about this. There's also a guy who is a snake for some reason?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Annabel Pee posted:

Might be a very stupid question about a silly joke but was the Mavity joke supposed to be they interrupted him coming up with the world and now everyone thinks it’s always been called Mavity? In that case why did the doctor remember Gravity and Donna only remembered mavity? I’m definitely over thinking it.

Time Lord, resistant to changes in the flow of time, innit. (That was the joke.)

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Mr Beens posted:

I appreciate the references to the previous seasons, RTD didn't have to. But I hope he doesn't feel the need to spend too much time or energy justifying and "fixing" it over just doing his own thing.

I think it's clear he's going to run with the hand he's been dealt but also do his own thing, just like every showrunner has.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

Maybe she was a space skeleton????

you know, when she was alive. she always looked like that.

Space Mari Lwyd.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

My mate wrote one of the stories in this one so loyalty leads me to say that one's gotta be a certified banger. I'm sure the rest are good too.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

If your mate is Felicia Barker I doubt you've got much to worry about, she's fairly good.

The very same.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Time for the show to go back on hiatus for, uh, two weeks.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

It is worth saying that Rosa was written not just by Chibnall, but also by Malorie Blackman, who was the Children's Laurete a few years ago and has an extensive history of writing fiction for kids that contains anti-racist themes (and is herself Black). I have heard somewhat mixed things about her experience writing for the show, and I am quite suspicious of how much of the bad bits of Rosa were the result of Chibnall fiddling and messing with her script: but the episode did win an award and she seemed pretty happy about it at the time, at least publicly (https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/doctor-who-picks-up-special-award-for-malorie-blackman-episode-rosa/). (Malorie Blackman's writing was pretty special to me growing up! Great writer. The first non-white person to ever write for a screened episode it seems, even. I wish her episode was better regarded.)

I guess my point is that from Chibnall's perspective he seems to have thought he was doing the right thing - and it's not entirely a case of "about us without us" (I should say for the record that I am a white British person - so in fact here I'm only speaking for myself, and can only do so from that standpoint - I am not the "us" here!). It just... didn't cohere together and the messager ultimately is... cracked (in a way that to me screams of script tinkering). Great example of how best intentions can only get you so far I guess.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Knew what was coming because of the leaks, was worried it would be crap - I forgot about Emotional Logic! Thanks, Rusty! Oh, that was grand.

I thought there was a lot of quite small but conscious wrestling with the fact this is a very old show that has, frankly, not always been on the money in terms of, well, not being lovely in various ways. I'm interested to watch Unleashed because it sounds like Russell talks about that a bit.

Overall, that feels like one of the most successful regenerations *of the show* since, well, 2005, and possibly also since the vet first couple of regenerations. I'm so excited to be a fan of what comes next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lines
Aug 18, 2013

The idea to make Ncuti "the Doctor, but they've been to therapy one (1) time" is just grand.