Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
So excited to see the 10th/14th doctor in series 1/14/40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I like Capaldi's run in its totality, but Bill is just heads and shoulders above so many others, and I wish we got more with her.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

:hmmyes:

I loved Bill as a companion and I’m kinda mad Clara stuck around so long. Also, I don’t mind Nardole, but being a comic character he draws focus a lot.

I liked Nardole, and I think that's entirely because similar to Catherine Tate and (sadly only for a limited time) James Corden, as an American I had no context for them before their first Who appearance.

What I largely liked about the Capaldi run, beyond my general adoration of him as an actor is that it felt generally much more back to basics, even with the two-parter season. After the Smith stuff jumped the rails so dramatically, doing three seasons that were pretty similar in form to the RTD formula ones, it was a breath of fresh air. I'm meh on RTD as a writer, but the general arc of each season (e.g. first ep present day, second ep in the past/far future, third in the one not covered by the previous) was a nice durable format that let them do a variety of stories.

Clouseau fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 14, 2023

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Huge grin once the very recognizably Murray Gold music started kicking in.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

If this is the amount of chatter generated by a five minute comedy sketch for charity, we're just going to be walloped by the discussion generated by actual hour long episodes.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Big dumb silly fun. I was not a fan of this back then but I have a much softer heart now (but even then, I loved Donna and the Doctor).

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

eke out posted:

yeah i thought this was by far the best bit -- the grandma that's clearly trying very hard and probably thinking too much about saying the right pronouns when Rose is around but then messing up and anxiously apologizing to her daughter, that's downright subtle and realistic compared to the rest of the content.

My mom is the grandmother to a trans woman and I can tell you, it all nailed it for me.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Boxturret posted:

Isn't the end of time when he becomes everyone in the whole world, Obama specifically?

"President-Elect" Obama, as if that is a specific office.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

It's absolutely a ripoff for the writers, I have to imagine writing a script for a show that has as long legs as Who can be a nice little residuals bump. Now Disney gets the benefit over time.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Yeah that kicked rear end, a lot of kids are going to have hosed up dreams for a bit.

Truly bizarre to watch this show with an actual budget, especially since I've been rewatching the first season(2005).

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

edit: ^^ Yeah Capaldi also just helped carry through the dumb parts of his seasons. And I think the batting average overall is higher across the three.

Hefty Leftist posted:

did it really get that bad at the end of moffat and through chibnall? i got tired of moffat's Very Special Characters and his endless overarching pretentious storylines that never went anywhere that weren't dumb as hell. i've only seen criticisms of Chibnall that boil down to "it's gone woke!!! its all about The Message!!!" which are dumb

Speaking for myself I fell off in late Smith and came back for Capaldi and I think it's a very good run of episodes. And his last season has Bill, who is an absolute kick rear end companion.

I just found the Whittaker episodes I saw as a real slog and I never liked any of Chibs stuff to that point so I stopped there.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Carbon dioxide posted:

Gee I wonder who's writing he might be referring to.

Tbh I doubt it- this is how he writes about writing in his book, A Writer's Tale.

Which ends with him completely burnt out with writing Who and happily moving to the US for fame and fortune.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

I liked both, but vastly improved the latter. He *really* came into his own in his second season. Riding a tank into an axe fight playing a bitchin' solo. Aging rock star fit twelve so well it's hard to imagine why they even tried anything else.

There's people who hate this. I am not among them.

Tbh, I find Capaldi such a charismatic presence he can do whatever fourth wall breaking insanity he wants, it doesn't matter to me.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

I'd actually argue that RTD/Moffat both got second winds and their middle stuff was the weakest. Like both season one and season five (imo) contain a lot of their best moments, their best ideas, and a real solid spine. Like they're finally getting their dream after all these years to do Doctor Who. Then, the next season its like "ok do more" and they're like poo poo. But I think season four is RTD's next best, and I feel like a lot of the later Capaldi stuff is extremely good too. Its the weird middle for both of them that lost me.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Where are they getting the D+ numbers from, I thought most of that was kept from the public?

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

MikeJF posted:

Is it just me or does the original toymaker's face looks so much like Timothy Dalton Rassilon it's distracting

Not you. I was very confused.

(Not at all a spoiler, but a comment on the trailer so whatever)
I really hope that *ding* when the Toymaker winks is not in the show.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Was that the most non-revival continuity RTD has ever had in one of his stories?

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Yeah comparing the numbers when the television viewing landscape has changed drastically is silly. My phone's news suggestions are full of SEO bait headlines hyperventilating over the ratings drops because Who is too woke now.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

I remember someone asking in this thread over a decade ago if the show was going to end once he hit the regen limit. There were fans that believed this!

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

It still is disrespectful and even with whatever best technology you throw at it it still looks pretty ugly since everything was photographed specifically with black and white in mind, but at the end of the day the argument is going to be "well, how else are we going to get people to watch these old episodes and besides they can still watch the B&W originals!"

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

I also think that streaming and blu-ray make it much easier to make both the original and the colour versions available. I also do take some issue with the idea that it's disrespectful, as it's not as if the show was shot in black and white as an artistic choice but a technical and economic one.

That's the case with a lot of B&W stuff, like movies were (largely) shot in B&W because they didn't have many alternatives, but colorizing them looks awful. Regardless of if it was an aesthetic choice on behalf of the people shooting it, they shot it with making it for that palette in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

I thought that was was perfectly Fine. Probably the least of the four specials, but it had the most to do.

New Sonic kind of looks like an extremely impressive gadget made by Sony in 1997.