Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Maxwell Lord posted:

On the flipside there's the massive uptick in quality from The Dominators to The Mind Robber.

There's a lot of examples from Troughton tbf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Rochallor posted:

Literally the very next story pairing is Attack of the Cybermen to Vengeance on Varos, which is certainly a strong contender.

Absolutely not

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Tbf I know plenty of scientists who dress in the 2020's equivalent of a miniskirt and gogo boots

Random Stranger posted:

Inferno does run long, but it's still a strong story despite it's length. It's not like The War Games where you could chop half the episodes out and have an amazing story instead of just a good one that ends perfectly.

Good lord

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Narsham posted:

Yes, the Chibnall era is characterized by watching an episode and feeling the increasing urge to shout WHY ISN"T THIS EPISODE BETTER? at your screen. While in other moments of the show's history, you wouldn't do that because it was pretty obvious why that episode wasn't better. Contrasting with the "this plot/concept/character has no potential" is Chibnall's "look at all the wasted potential" model of the show.

Chibnall has seen one episode of television in his life, and it's the Venture Brothers episode Escape to the House of Mummies, Pt 2

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Astroman posted:

RTD's motives here remind me of Moffat's well meaning but misguided idea of showing medieval British villages as full of black and brown people "because that's what Britain looks like today and modern British people should feel represented". It sounds good, until you imagine him saying "Modern Beijing is very cosmopolitan and full of people from all over the world, so let's do a episode about 14th Century China where a bunch of white people are walking around." Or perhaps more problematically, "whitewashing history" in the sense that it says "many modern white British people are tolerant and live in harmony with minorities, and they were that way 800 years ago too."

It sounds good until you change what he's saying and the context of what's happening

Astroman posted:

So British people just kinda became racist for a bit when they were colonizing India, Africa, and the Americas? That is covering up some elements of history that need to be known.

That's more true than false, tbh - much modern racism has its roots in slavery, the attempt to justify it morally by defining black africans as sub-human.

I'd personally argue that showing a multicultural society and not drawing attention to it is not saying that this is how the world is and it's not inherently a glorification of current society. Why can't it be aspirational, why can't it be a part of bringing that society about by showing it as normal? Star Trek didn't make a song and dance about Nichols being a regular member of the bridge crew in the 60s, for example.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Khanstant posted:

History is full of the worst people doing the most godawful things for the shittiest imaginable reasons. Doctor Who is not educational, it isn't about teaching us how life used to be in some place and time. It would be a very grim and bitter show if it were a real tour of history.

It's got a good number of those, but that's because there's a lot of history. The vast majority of people have always lived boring, ordinary lives and attempting to paint all of history as being some crimes-against-humanity-fest has largely been pushed not by historians but by edgelords who want to justify their lovely predilections by justifying it through "historical accuracy"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Zaroff posted:

I’m still astounded by the number of people who thought ‘RTD is back, we’re getting rid of Chibnall’s wokery’’

Rusty's brand of wokery is very different!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

Sorry, what was Chibnell's "wokery"? Finally casting a woman or doing a couple of episodes that acknowledged that some of history is about people who aren't white?

Basically yes

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

So one bit of the werewolf monks that has been lost to time to some extent (viz: the bit in the cold opening) is the context of the BBC One Idents "Rhythm and Movement" (playlist here), used from 2002 to late 2006 (T&C being broadcast earlier that year).

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

Oh, those are twenty years old are they? I see. God I feel old.

Also, new Who only needs to go another 8 years before it's lasted as long as old Who did, that's pretty cool.

Austin Powers would now be made about the time Austin Powers came out

The "lame, dinosaur" bands Homer mentions in this scene (Grand Funk Railroad*, Jefferson Airplane, Jefferson Starship, The Alan Parsons Project) were then more recent than the then cool modern bands from the episode (Smashing Pumpkins, Sonic Youth, Cypress Hill) are now

*They didn't pave the way for Jefferson Airplane, as they came first!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

That was exactly what I expected, and I don't know if that's good or not. The middle third was really fun, though.

CobiWann posted:

Posted without context.

The Star Beast was published in 1980, so if anything Cuddlesome is the ripoff.

Random Stranger posted:

I think when it was announced that Davies was coming back I said something like, "His highs were rarely as high as the show could be, but his lows were never that low."

And you got it exactly backwards!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Buml0r posted:

They got it in the can, then? They'd have had to film it more than a year ago if so...

Tennant said: "I am thrilled to say that – although very sadly he wasn't in those episodes as much as we hoped – he was on set with us and Wilfred lives on.

"Bernard is much missed and much grieved for, but I am so excited that his final screen performance will be [one] I had the great honour of being part of, and you'll see it all on your screens."

Filming for the specials wrapped July of last year

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Nov 26, 2023

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Driven mad by the sun, but also I don't think it's particularly relevant to real life mental illness

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

Tennent doesn't know what it means but the Producers do.

I thought those guys were in prison at the end of the film

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Doctor Who commander decks feel like someone made a Doctor Who set and then just shoved it into 4 decks not quite at random. A lot of care has been taken for flavour, but the upshot is that a lot of the cards just don't synergise in the same way normal precons do (or at least should).

Vinylshadow posted:

Hm...current Twitter trend is "rank the (revival) Doctor's opening stories now that we have a new one to add to the list"

Eleventh Hour/Deep Breath

Good lord

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

According to RTD, the name Jason means doctor or healer,

It does, it's from greek

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The one on Pluto was much earlier, The Sun Makers

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

I was pleasantly surprised when I noticed their ray guns weren't even scratching the paint on Donna's hubby's cab, and then a second later the Doctor pointed out that as a plot point and not just rushed SFX.

My other half did the same

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

HD DAD posted:

Yeah he was upset with Keith Boak, who directed Rose and the Slitheen two-parter. Apparently he was a massive rear end in a top hat, but Eccleston may have placed some blame on RTD and crew by proxy for not doing anything about him.

And implicitly, and in hindsight, he was upset with Barrowman and the production team allowing Barrowman to be that way on set

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

and with the exception of Children of Earth, I don't like ANY of Torchwood.

That's not fair, seeing the end credits is a highlight of every episode

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

This is something that actually makes me sad sometimes. It's The Doctor's home. It should be treated as something more than their car.

There's two sides to this though - there's a lot of stories, especially in the 4th and 5th era, there there's lots of time spent in the TARDIS just to fill time. It doesn't advance characters. it doesn't advance story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I didn't watch The Giggle until yesterday (because we don't have a TV license and so had to wait to get to my mum's for christmas) but that was some proper RTDing, for all of its good and bad. Lots of good, though.

Re: the earlier Weeping Angel discussion, the idea that you couldn't then time travel (Mawdryn Undead style) after getting got wouldn't work inside continuity, because the Doctor and Martha getting got is why the TARDIS is in the future to begin with in Blink

Rochallor posted:

Fun fact that highlights this: Tom Cruise is currently older than William Hartnell when he started playing the Doctor.

Tennant's only 18 months or so younger

PriorMarcus posted:

... Really?

I can honestly say that this episode is tied with others for the worse of the revival for me, and it's far and away the worst of the Christmas specials. Absolute dreck.

I watched it (having not seen it at the time) after catching up on Jodie for a video I'm making on the flavour of the Magic The Gathering Doctor Who cards and in comparison it was a solid 8/10, it had actual coherent story, plot and characterisation!

HD DAD posted:

Honestly I’ve enjoyed catching up on Whittaker’s run. It’s a very different take on Who with different sensibilities. I can absolutely see how a lot of people bounced hard off of it (like me initially), and there are some big dumb swings in there…but I don't think it's awful.

If RTD and Moffat's quality swung between a 3/10 and an 11/10, Chibnall just seems to be happy with a consistent 6 or 7.

As I've said before, I disagree entirely - Chibnall's episodes have this dream like quality in a pejorative sense, where nothing flows between bits but everything acts like it's all sensible events. Even watching the better episodes make me incredibly frustrated with the whole thing.

Rochallor posted:

I did not pick up on the fact that Audacity is a character's name and thought you were just complaining about the audio mixing as of late.

I would like to complain about the audio mixing, some of the first two specials were only intelligible with subtitles