Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

jisforjosh posted:

Wait is BBC's Doctor Who NOT airing on BBC America? :wtc:

Disney Bux swiped the US rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Is it going up on Disney+ the same time as UK broadcast or like an hour later?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Maybe I was just kind of blind to it during the Jodie era, but the RTD marketing machine is running at full blast.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I thought it was pretty good. Worried at the beginning at some mixing issues where you could barely hear the dialogue over all the bombast. Kind of interesting there's no real drama around the regeneration (so far), it's like Jodie never happened. Maybe since it's an old/new Doctor again, there's no awkward getting-to-know-yourself phase or lack of ability.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Jerusalem posted:

There were a number of references to him having been Jodie, the one thing I didn't quite get was that Donna and Rose both knew that this was a different Doctor to 10 and that he had been a woman before, and I wasn't sure where they got that knowledge. But also their brains were beyond human comprehension at that point so I guess that's as good a reason as any!
Yeah there were some references, I just meant it seems like the most peaceful regeneration that's ever happened. No amnesia, or sleepiness, or losing a step. Just a fully formed Doctor right out of the gate.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Also since I've been seeing it everywhere since, the new opening titles are great.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Urdnot Fire posted:

Surely that would just cause confusion with the Meta-Crisis clone of 10 that’s with Rose Tyler.

10, X-2, X-3 when this iteration kicks a Toymaker ball and it's a bomb

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If we get just like 30 seconds of Eccelston on screen again in the RTD2 era, it will all have been worth it.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Every season requires a Tardis bottle episode to stretch the budget for more content

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Hey that was a good episode Doctor Who is good again. Also kind of funny that this is all happening in like a 12-24 hour time period, any % regeneration speedrun.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Despite the new Disney digs, getting a Venom reference is very funny.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Infinitum posted:

Also lets not gloss over probably the single worst costume design of the series - Hyph3n

Make up and costume departments apparently both on loving strike. "Yeah nah, we don't have face prosthetics. A bit of grey lipstick'll do the job! Quick someone kill an Ewok and shove it on her head!"

Very obvious tail-attached-to belt. Tail looks like it comes out of the middle of her back :lol:

100% get Doctor Who is usually on a shoe-string budget, but :laffo: that's just straight up someone's budget fursona costume.

Spaceballs 2 made for TV sequel energy

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

That 4th picture, I did not expect club Doctor

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1733599927849095529?s=19

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I find it funny the subtitles start calling Tennant the 10th Doctor after the regeneration scene

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Three companions who all met horrible, but bittersweet ends.

What about the 13th Doctor? Uhh I dunno, the Flux? Let's go with that.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

https://twitter.com/hxll_mxtt/status/1733834130792591712?s=19

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The only way for the biregenerarion to work for me is that the 15th Doctor is plucked somewhere in time from his future after the 14th Doctor did all the work and eventually regenerates into the 15th Doctor proper. The idea he's the Doctor, but in a better mind frame, without that lived experience doesn't play well without some kind of handwave of the in-between time.

Otherwise he is a different character missing a part of himself (the trauma).

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Not enough love for The Vlinx which made the Doctor do like a headfake and then the mystery of such a character is never followed up again.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Will they retain the 3 seasons and done unless you're David Tennant informal clause?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

PriorMarcus posted:

Russel is writing Ncutt's third series now, he's just deciding on the title of the fifth episode apparently. It starts filming in October next year.

My guess is we get at least four series out of Ncutti at this rate, especially seeing as the plan seems to be to film two series close together and then have a gap.
With how far in advance they're banging these future seasons out, hope there's no leaks of who the next Doctor is when they're filming Season 4 and Season 2 is barely airing

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Matinee posted:

I have some specific info that the Big Finish catering these days is just bunch of Pret A Manger sandwich platters, alas.
"I'm so sorry."

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

In a historic turnout, Rassilon captures 99% of the time lord vote to become President again.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If you're all on your best behavior, maybe Santa will bring a new episode for Christmas now that the last guy is gone

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

That's sort of the point, I think. Clara had been acting as a Doctor-lite and her hubris got her into a bad situation. She doesn't get to live/escape because she's not the genuine article and it serves as a tragic story that the recklessness of the Doctor shouldn't be emulated.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Bicyclops posted:

It's particularly weird to think that Clara should be punished for hubris during that era because of how much it's emphasized that the Doctor is just like... a guy who stole a time machine. What makes him different and "better" than other Time Lords (well, before the Timeless Child stuff, I guess) is that he went out into the Universe and got enough perspective to always try to make sure that empathy and curiosity win out over tyranny and suppression. "Anyone can be the Doctor" is a better message than "leave the big stuff to the space wizards or you'll die" IMO.

The 12th Doctor was really kind of weird coming off the whole thing with the 11th getting more regenerations and a renewed lease on life by using it to basically investigate the fundamental question of, "Am I / Is the Doctor a good person?" to the point where he just becomes sick of everything by the end that he's on the verge of refusing to regenerate. Moffat gets dinged often for giving his companions tragic endings, but I think it at least served the story they were trying to tell with 12 and his companions at least.

Why does the Doctor always get to be the one to walk away? Well, they're the titular plot armor character and the revival era at least has been about carrying that trauma and weight. That is the conceit and drama behind the show. The message can still be anyone can be the Doctor, but we/the companions are still just human. There's a risk to doing these things, I don't think it has anything to do with gender politics.

RTD seemed focused on fixing some of these problems by saving Donna, giving her a Doctor-level type escape from her fate, and giving the Doctor a new new lease on life without all of this baggage.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Jerusalem posted:

Mostly that's down to me already being sick of "the companion falls in love with the Doctor" as a storyline crutch back in 2006 with 10/Rose.

If I have any concerns or misgivings about the 15th Doctor, I hope they do not do a romance plot with Ruby.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Not only is there a dystopian future, but there's a dystopian future that adapted The Weakest Link as a death match battle royale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Saw a video today of Gatwa talking about his Doctor's look and learning his hair is dyed a shade of blue.