Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Apparently 15ths first season is gonna be branded as Season 1, so look forward to that confusing naming scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Coward posted:

I do not have words for the sheer childish glee I expressed when McGann was revealed in Night of the Doctor.

Same. It was cool to see, but also for building up hype because WTF this huge thing is just an online short building up to the anniversary special how bloody wild is THAT gonna be?!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Creature posted:

The decimation of Earth's population to the sounds of Rogue Traders and the subsequent humiliation of the Doctor accompanied by Scissor Sisters were my RTD highlights. So stupid. So mid-00s.

Made ten times better by it being the Master playing the music in universe.

As perfect as the 50th was and I wouldn't trade it away for anything, there is part of me that really wants to see what a RTD 50th would have looked like, imagine it being like the finale scenes of Stolen Earth with them all piloting the TARDIS, but amped up even further.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

So... do we think the anniversary episodes will have Donna be a millionaire?

I think they'll side step it and just show that she's living a comfortable life without getting into details.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Sensible people watching TOS or TNG recognise that certain things like the complete lack of gay people in the future is a product of when the show was made, and totally recognise that if it was made now they would be there.

Conservatives take it literally and go "gently caress yeah look at this show recognising that 1960s norms are so eternal they'll be in place even centuries from now"

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Khanstant posted:

The thing I hated about Clara's ending was they implied she could always come back for more adventures but never has.

I kinda disagree. Clara had run her time out in the show, and we know how her story eventually ends. However our final scenes of her in the show make it clear that there are always going to be more adventures happening out there, so she's never really dead either.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Hmm, not crazy about the blue floor on the TARDIS, and then the Dalek city too.

https://twitter.com/dwpages/status/1724676920678257066

I assume this is based on photos of how the sets were painted? If so It's like seeing colour photos of the Addams Family house.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'll also add that I personally think the concept of "cancel culture" is a completely fake thing (mainly made up by aging comedians and right-leaning media personalities who are very "not mad" about people calling them out on their bullshit); so it's not in the least bit surprising to me that Moffat has not only decided to explore this fake idea, but to do it in a show about how it affects the career of a TV presenter who's also a middle-aged white guy.

The first season and a half of Morning Wars/The Morning Show already did this well enough

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

That was fun. Also guess that the implication is that the next episode won't follow on immediately from the moment of regeneration but have a bit of a gap.

Edit: oh I just read the quotes post above, never mind.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 18, 2023

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I always thought it was so interesting that while Davros thought so highly of the daleks, even as his body deteriorated he never became one himself

I've not watched enough of the classic series to realize that Davros was supposed to be disabled/injured. I thought it was more that he had far exceeded how long he should have lived, and was clinging onto existence through bitterness and embracing all the Dalek tech he could without completely giving himself over to it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Time War rewrote and changed so many things. What's that you say, we've seen Davros since the Time War ended so it's effects can't have changed him now? What limited four dimensional thinking.

When canon is changed purely because someone doesn't care to find out what came before, that sucks. It's why parts of early Discovery and the JJ reboots felt off, not because things were changed, but that it felt like they were changed because some involved didn't really want to be creating stories in that universe.

RTD loves Who and knows the history inside and out. If something changes under his watch you know it's because he's made a deliberate choice to change because he thinks it will make for a better episode of Doctor Who, and I'm here to trust him. It might not always work, but it's clearly done with love of the original material and that's what matters.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Orville of all series had a really good way of putting it, which was that technology didn't create their utopian society. The fact they were living in a cooperative society is what allowed technology like replicators to spread and end scarcity, whereas in an earlier more primitive time (cough our present day) the tech would have merely been used to prop up existing economic systems and inequalities.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Narsham posted:

The Kaleds and the Thals appear to be human; if that distinction is the driver of racism on Skaro, then skin color needn't be a thing. For that matter, while there were some non-white Nazis, there are lots of fascist dictators who weren't white, so you can tell as story about fascism and hatred without necessarily placing a restriction.

I agree, and think it makes the commentary on fascism and hatred stronger in many ways to have their biases be different. If this alien society exactly aligns with Human Nazi ideology then it applies there is something universal or inevitable about those specific traits being considered undesirable. Whereas the reality is that all the Nazi talk of racial superiority and the like was purely based on what they thought made the best rallying points for their audience.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Ok that clip with the Meep was so good that I'm going on spoiler block now from watching any other clips that come out, because I want to enjoy all of this.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

TinTower posted:

The mad lads did it.

They broke the layering!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I wouldn't be surprised if they use volume type screens to make a bunch of those passages extend to infinity or peek through into other rooms and the like.

Only thing I dislike with the Meep is that the cutesy thing was an act. Would have been much scarier if it was still in the adorable mode talking about killing and eating people

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Wolfechu posted:

Writing him running about when he first goes in must have been easy; just lead David up to the set with a blindfold on.

God I hope they did that.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

TBLALV posted:

I think that really gave what I was missing from Chibnall's run, a chance for the characters to relax and breathe and just be themselves, instead of non-stop action and set pieces being constantly flashed at you until the credits run. I really appreciated the scene with the Nobles, especially how much you can tell Donna and Silvia's relationship has changed just from a maybe five minute bit of dialogue. RTD usually nails those little moments and I'm so happy about it

The door cutting Donna and Tennant off initially made me roll my eyes but I was hooked right back in with

"Who cares about me?"
"I DO!"

Can't wait for the rest, I'm excited about Doctor Who again! Feels so weird!

The glass wall between the Doctor and Donna with him lamenting how it isn't fair had to be a call back to 10 and Wilf in their adjacent glass boxes yeah?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Resdfru posted:

Also, what are the odds the timeless child stuff is never mentioned again. Probably high since aside from stuff Moffat set up himself during Davies v1 every show runner just erases the board and starts over

Moffat did a lot of his own thing, but the biggest occasion of his run with the 50th special was all about wrapping up the the Time War and was probably the most RTD feeling thing he did.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

He clearly was meant to though wasn't he, and they changed plans?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

I liked both, but vastly improved the latter. He *really* came into his own in his second season. Riding a tank into an axe fight playing a bitchin' solo. Aging rock star fit twelve so well it's hard to imagine why they even tried anything else.

Yep. That later version of 12 felt like how 11 saw himself. Except while 11 was too self conscious and focused on trying to get others to agree that his current interest/fashion item is cool, 12 just owned it and didn't give a toss if anyone thought it was cool or not.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Is that dude who had the "new to Doctor Who I hate that I'm being made to watch this wait I'm three series in and this is the most batshit and best thing ever" watch threads still around?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Infinitum posted:

Did a rewatch, amazing, but also something I missed the first time

So bi-regeneration, how does that nonsense work? Cause I can understand the "It cheapens Gatwa's run by having 2 Doctors" camps perspective.

Looking like at some point 14 will regenerate 'normally' into 15, or 15 gains access to 14's memories as he heals himself mentally, or 15 gets the memories when 14 dies, or whatever.
At some point - however that happens - there is a firm delineation between the 2, which I think is an important aspect of the Doctor as a character.

14 heals, so 15 gets a clean start (with minimal baggage for the soft reboot)

It's oddly undefined in a way that does feel like they wanted to leave it open for Tennant to come back.

My best reading is that it's a bit wibbly wobbly. 15 is the next Doctor, and has all of 14s memories and the emotional growth that comes from taking a break, but doesn't necessarily have those memories yet, because they haven't happened to 14 yet.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The first RTD run did big massive things, introduced stuff like the Time War and so on, but it was all in the aid of setting up staging for and kicking off big epic fun stories.

Moffat was fond of a puzzle box, but when he did it well it was satisfying because of how it made a tight and wrapped up story, see S5 with the cracks. Where Moffat's style was weakest was when it tried to lean too much on the lore itself as being the engaging part.

Chibnalls Timeless Child stuff on the other hand didn't feel like it had much depth, it was a whole lot of "then this happens" and that being the whole story.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Makes sense, with the diminishing returns Disney have been seeing with each new Marvel and Star Wars series they would be very eager to ensure as many people as possible can start off with the new series.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Updog Scully posted:

Rewatched the Curator scene from DOTD and yup, it's him. Revisiting the "old favourites", saying "perhaps you are me"... Most importantly, notice what the Curator tells the Doctor in that scene. The Doctor believes the painting has two titles but the Curator corrects him, saying it's "all one title". He's literally fusing two titles into one, an inverse of bigeneration.

The "two titles" thing is the only part of that episode that falls flat for me, because it implies that literally no-one up to that point had heard of line breaks.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I admire their commitment to the Mavity joke, at least, even if I don't find it particularly funny.

As for the special, on thing I liked is that Ruby invites herself into the TARDIS. Now clearly it's what the Doctor wanted since he was waiting for her, but it's a nice twist to the "Come on in, oh don't worry it's bigger on the inside" the Doctor usually does

It seemed like the Doctor was about to go back and invite Ruby to come with him, before he had his moment of questioning if the chaos was following him and had second thoughts.

I interpreted it as he wanted her to come, but decided to see if she put the pieces together and made that real choice to come find him herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

DavidCameronsPig posted:

A little bit of me is worried that the reboot is a much deeper reboot than I'm hoping for. One episode is what it is, but this very much felt like a Disney show in a way I'm not hugely interested in, and if the specials were a way of ending the show to date to make way for this new rebooted show....eh. Not sure about it. I like how Who can simultaneously be the dumbest loving show on earth and weirdly clever at the same time. I hope they don't end up sanding all those edges off. Those edges are the point,. at least for me.

But, then again, if I was judging the show by that one with Kylie Minogue and the Space Titanic I'd feel exactly the same way so eh.

To me this episode felt like a 2005 Series 1 Eccleston episode, just with two decades of improved effects. Very much following the same soft reboot model, much like how it took until Series 2 and School Reunion for the show to start properly referencing anything from the past.