Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
We are a quarter of the way into the season and still no sackings, remarkable. Pochettino and ten Hag's seats are uncomfortably warm but maybe not hot yet, but give it another week of bad results and we'll see.

It's a reverse of how the table usually looks, top spots are all up for grabs while the bottom end is taking shape and probably unlikely to move much after Christmas.

No surprises who's top of the goal charts either.

Will Spurs come back down to earth? Will City continue to stumble? Will Sheffield United ever get another point? It's a funny old game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Sheffield have a real shot at breaking Derby's record, you love to see it

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Unai Emery

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
The last time we went this long before a sacking was Slaven Bilic getting replaced by Sam Allardyce at West Brom on Dec 16, 2020.

The longest the PL ever went before a first sacking was Danny Wilson at Sheffield Wed on Mar. 21, 2000.

Out of the previous 31 PL seasons, November is most common (8) month for the first sacking to occur. 3 seasons waited til December, then another 3 between Jan and March.

Soon.

source

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The people demand a sacking

I want something absolutely mad to happen and for it to be Pep

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

it might not be smart of sheffield united to sell all the players that gave them promotion and replace them with cameron archer and tom davies

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
There will be a sacking on Monday 18 December (ETH).

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Xabi posted:

Inshalla

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Xabi posted:

What time zone is that?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That crypto guy was found guilty yesterday, Erik ten Hag is the only manager whose initials are a crypto currency, I'm afraid he's done for.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Nuclear Spoon posted:

The last time we went this long before a sacking was Slaven Bilic getting replaced by Sam Allardyce at West Brom on Dec 16, 2020.

That season started later, too. Sep 12th.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bilic lasted 12 games

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Random question: are players always happy about winning the Championship and getting promoted to the PL? I know that it comes with a lot of money, but its gotta be more fun to be on top of a league than get your rear end kicked every week like most freshly promoted teams do

I'm assuming yes, that while players like to win with their teams ultimately they are focused on their careers and the PL is the biggest stage to display their skill and hopefully get a chance to move to a better team and be paid more

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you don't want to win then you should probably quit playing professional sport. Being content in the league you're in when there's one above you would count as not wanting to win.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

Bilic lasted 12 games

Long time to edge

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

If you don't want to win then you should probably quit playing professional sport. Being content in the league you're in when there's one above you would count as not wanting to win.

They also usually have a big pay increase for promotion written into their contracts

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

Also the people who even make it to the EFL level are monsters they are like in the 0.001% of people who played Football at a semi level then became pros. So most of these people don't have normal mentality. They definitely are extremely competitive. Maybe you know someone like that in real life who makes everything into a competition, that's the type of mentality you need in sports to get far.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Top of the league 🎶

We love big Ange

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Mad how hiring a manager who actually wants to manage your club and doesn't view everything about it with complete contempt has a positive effect

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

the sex ghost posted:

Mad how hiring a manager who actually wants to manage your club and doesn't view everything about it with complete contempt has a positive effect

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Agreed, ole in. managers whose sole focus is Good Vibes and trust the players to figure it out themselves are a dying breed at the highest level

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Just go out there and run about a bit

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

just bring greenwood back into the fold to teach them how to properly get stuck in

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

kri kri posted:

just bring greenwood back into the fold to teach them how to properly get stuck in

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Weaponized Cum posted:

Top of the league 🎶

We love big Ange

I loved the interview where someone was talking about bringing in a "big name manager" and he said "Postecoglou is a pretty big name."

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
:redflag:
I know this is strictly speaking Bundesliga, but I just wanted everyone to understand how unhinged germany is right now: Anwar El Ghazi's contract has just been terminated with immediate effect by FSV Mainz 05 because he posted this:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Germany is going mad over this, one of their ministers was talking about making people pledge allegiances and poo poo

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
:redflag:

Thanks Ants posted:

Germany is going mad over this, one of their ministers was talking about making people pledge allegiances and poo poo

This is "leftwing" politicians in Germany right now (football related!):

quote:

German-Israeli Society president Volker Beck has said he filed a criminal complaint against Bayern Munich defender Noussair Mazraoui in connection with a pro-Palestine post on social media and dismissed the club's handling of the affair as "pathetic."

Beck told the Bild paper in a report published on Wednesday he filed the complaint to Munich police and prosecutors because "the approval of crimes against humanity is punishable."

Mazraoui had shared a video on social media in which a Palestine victory was wished for after the October 7 attack on Israel by Islamist militant group Hamas from the Gaza Strip which it controls. The conflict has left thousands of people dead on both sides.

"The statement 'help our oppressed brothers in Palestine to achieve victory' can only be understood as an endorsement of Hamas' actions after the massacre of 7 October," Beck said.

Bayern decided against punishing Mazraoui after talks with the club leadership, which was also criticized by Beck, a member of parliament for the Green Party 1994-2017 and their chief whip until 2013.

"Even after Mazraoui's verbal evasions, there can be no simple 'let's forget it'," he said.

"Bayern's handling of this matter is pathetic. I hope that the judiciary will make club leaders aware of the dimension of the incident."

Bayern's decision not to sanction Mazraoui was previously criticized by the Central Committee of Jews in Germany and by Bayern fan club Kurt Landauer Zurich.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/report-criminal-complaint-against-mazraoui-over-pro-palestine-post/ar-AA1jdzBM

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Part of this, I’m guessing, is that there’s a far right, anti-semitic faction that’s outpolling every other party and that the elite think overcorrection is the only way to keep it in check.

Israel is bad as hell of course and this particular decision seems dumb but the political climate in Germany is frankly kinda bonkers from an outsider’s perspective.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Shrapnig posted:

What time zone is that?
Greenwood Doing Time (GDT).

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Big brain moves to go to the Gulf leagues on a free

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
Fulham have an opportunity to start the footballing weekend off in the funniest way

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
A bright afternoon in west london.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
that man mctominay.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
To the permanent mdt with you posthaste

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Oops sorry.

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?
We'll know VAR is working if City win the title

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
I'm not sure I've witnessed madness like the Chelsea Spurs game in a long long time. Not even sure how to explain it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Dravs posted:

I'm not sure I've witnessed madness like the Chelsea Spurs game in a long long time. Not even sure how to explain it.

I'd say it was the funniest game I'd seen this year but I watched the end of the Milan match where Giroud ended up playing goalkeeper which was just full chaosball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
That match generated like 500 new posts in a few hours, and I read every one