Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

The Finn posted:

That match generated like 500 new posts in a few hours, and I read every one

like a retired bus driver who still rides the loop on a sunday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

FullLeatherJacket posted:

like a retired bus driver who still rides the loop on a sunday

Wow, mods

E: Sorry, misread

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i didn't watch it so maybe they were clear as day but LOL that spurs got 2 red cards in a match when they are starting to look like they might fight for the title. it's so predictable

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

tbp posted:

i didn't watch it so maybe they were clear as day but LOL that spurs got 2 red cards in a match when they are starting to look like they might fight for the title. it's so predictable

both the guys that got sent off deserved it and could easily have been sent off even earlier

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

tbp posted:

wrong thread

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
ah, spurs once again doing something spursy, such a stereotypical and oft-repeated trait that the club's name has become synonymous with the act of loving up in comical ways, truly this is additional evidence to support a vast and nefarious conspiracy

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

tbp posted:

they were indeed clear as day, tbp

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.
the blind puppetmaster strikes again

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

they were so clear as day, that spurs couldn't even complain about VAR. VAR had already given two-three quite controversial decisions in their favour

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

tbp posted:

Don't forget injuries to 2 of their most important players

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jose posted:

Don't forget injuries to 2 of their most important players

in hindsight the conspiracy should have been obvious when Michael Oliver pulled out an axe and chopped off Van de Ven's leg

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

https://apnews.com/article/luis-diaz-liverpool-striker-father-released-kidnapping-3b607ca5e97ce11508bcae01d12664e1

quote:

BOGOTA, Colombia (AP) — Colombia’s government announced Thursday that the father of Liverpool striker Luis Díaz was released, 12 days after his kidnapping in northern Colombia by members of the guerrilla group National Liberation Army, or ELN.

The release was announced by the government’s delegation that currently is in peace negotiations with the ELN.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Good news

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?

Agreed. It can take time to recover from a literal nightmare scenario, but I still think he's going to score a hat trick the next time he plays.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Richarlison is having surgery, maddison is apparently out for months rather than weeks. VdV is months out also. In other words rip spurs for this season.

Short term its going to be brutal as well, with a load of kids coming in vs wolves and city (lol).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wolves don't have Neto though which should be a silver lining for Spurs fans.

What was Maddison's injury that is keeping him out for that long?

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Jippa posted:

Richarlison is having surgery, maddison is apparently out for months rather than weeks. VdV is months out also. In other words rip spurs for this season.

Short term its going to be brutal as well, with a load of kids coming in vs wolves and city (lol).

I got both Udogie and Maddison my fpl team is fuuuucccccckkkked.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Wolves don't have Neto though which should be a silver lining for Spurs fans.

What was Maddison's injury that is keeping him out for that long?

Ankle I think.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Newcastle and man united have like most of their first team injured too. Curious

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Jose posted:

Newcastle and man united have like most of their first team injured too. Curious

Almost as if the players are being ran into the ground and UEFA/FIFA need to gently caress the gently caress off.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TheRat posted:

Almost as if the players are being ran into the ground and UEFA/FIFA need to gently caress the gently caress off.

Nah that can't be it, let's add 20 minutes more playing time to every match

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

TheRat posted:

Unfortunately, I’m not sure if we can afford it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Nah that can't be it, let's add 20 minutes more playing time to every match

I like this part, but they should get rid of all international matches

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
get rid of qualifiers and just have a 200-odd team tournament every 4 years

whostolemyhat
Jan 15, 2014

Eddie Howe is not mad about not being allowed to loan players from the Saudi league
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/nov/10/newcastle-will-oppose-premier-league-rule-to-block-transfers-says-howe

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the fixture list for premier league teams is completely silly

re: spurs chels i thought the officiating was mostly ok except that VAR takes forever and each team had a goal ruled out for offside which were only offside in that players which weren't really doing anything to provoke a goal were in offside positions at some point. iirc manu got a goal chalked off this way a bit ago as well

idk who thought that getting VAR to spend five minutes looking for excuses to call a goal offside was a good idea but it was probably someone with a genuinely outrageous salary

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I would like to impotently point out that I've been saying this since the start, when man city suffered a few comedy var decisions and I realised how much joy it sucked out of the game to not be able to full-throatedly celebrate goals, and I was fairly roundly mocked at the time

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The pre-VAR refereeing situation was awful. Refs were consistently butchering title-deciding games and getting obvious offside decision wrong. They had no way to catch things that happened outside their eyeline. They could be corrupt and easily chalk it down to circumstance. They literally never got better.

That loose way of things was only compatible with a world that couldn’t rewatch replays in a thousand different angles.

For all its faults VAR at least has a clear path to improvement. Better technology, more cameras, clearer communication, more transparency, sharper processes, better trained personnel. You could throw money at this problem and arrive at an unequivocally better outcome. It’s crazy to wish away VAR.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

nah it has fairly obvious structural issues which i don't see being resoled with the present political economy of the game. since introduction it's gotten worse, not better, as we can see with these frankly destructive recent offside decisions

my hot take on it is that the main point of VAR is to make football a safer financial investment, meaning that it is there to make it so that the team with the most resources wins. that means that entertainment, immediacy or even reasonableness are secondary to being a well-drilled squad which is always in proper position. the more randomness can be removed and the higher the level of precision can be demanded, the less risk you have of your investment just not panning out. there are cases of simple mismanagement, of course (hello glazers) but in general the trend of increasing pedantic enforcement of rules is going to continue because it makes basic sense to the way most of the people with seats at the big table think. there's no incentive to improve, because the way the markets see it football supporters are basically a captive audience anyway and haven't got anywhere else to go; that means that money is being left on the table.

the alternative is a world in which you accept a fairly large degree of human error in officiating. in my opinion, this is not really a problem for the game as such so long as it's effectively random/home field advantage, i.e. not actively corrupt.

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
VAR or not, you’ll have clubs being found out for paying 7m euro to the head of the refereeing body and poo poo like that, so on balance I’d rather have the old corruption back maybe? VAR has cost the game a dose of immediacy in its drama for sure.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
VAR has always had issues

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The game is better without var just scrap it

slorb
May 14, 2002
I don't think VAR will ever be popular with people attending matches in person because waiting around for a result ruins the atmosphere. But matchday revenue is like 15% of EPL club income at this point so the clubs are going to prioritise the TV experience.

If they can unfuck VAR to the point where the reviews annoy TV viewers less than bungled decisions do it will stick around forever. Its not hard to see them getting to that point by bringing in automated offsides/ball out of play calls and by limiting the number of allowed VAR reviews per game.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

kri kri posted:

The game is better without var just scrap it

this is mostly how i feel. pilot it in lower leagues and use it as an excuse to invest money in them. there needs to be systems to decrease time taken and increase decision accuracy. i do think things like offside and ball outages should be fully covered by cameras and automated.

i was typing a bunch of anti-conspiracy stuff, but as i think about it, it is not impossible the refs got a "play nice with the middle east clubs" memo, considering the national consideration of the Newcastle buyout. Some may have taken it to heart. I doubt there is any direct money involved. but any active refs should probably be banned from travelling abroad (outside of FIFA stuff). i've always been a big proponent for paying refs way more money but holding them to a higher standard.

Bea Nanner fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 11, 2023

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The idea that VAR enables bias is kinda nuts. Bias used to be easy. You made a decision and that was it. You could explain any weird decision as a mistake. Now there’s a whole other group of people who has to be in on it, and those people have far less excuse for getting it wrong.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
also, remember when refs gave goals that hit the side netting and didnt give ones that went through the goal netting? those sort of egregious errors do seem have been eliminated.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Would adding more on field refs help at all to catch more stuff in real time

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I watched a few matches of the Rugby World Cup and they seemed to do pretty well with their version of VAR. One of the big differences was that the game clock is stopped while they're doing a VAR check so the refs wouldn't feel under time pressure to make a rushed decision. I don't think that's a useful comparison to football, but the other big difference was that the television audience could see and hear the ref and the VAR talking to one another, so you could understand their full decision-making process and know you were seeing exactly what they were seeing. That might help make the VAR process a little less mystifying, and also force the refs to act professionally because they know they're being broadcast live to millions of people.

Do that and change offside to either the automated World Cup rear end cam or do the thing with the thick lines where if they're touching it's close enough, and see if those two changes make VAR tolerable.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Would adding more on field refs help at all to catch more stuff in real time

They added touchline refs in the champions league for about 2 or maybe 3 years. They still missed blatant poo poo right in front of them and one problem I remember was that they didn't want to overrule the head ref so they just stood there with their magic wands (what were those things?) and waited patiently for sir to ask them if they had seen anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bea Nanner posted:

also, remember when refs gave goals that hit the side netting and didnt give ones that went through the goal netting? those sort of egregious errors do seem have been eliminated.

Hawkeye failed three seasons ago because a man was stood in front of a sensor, on a football pitch, while playing football. VAR chose not to look at it