Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I kinda feel like there's too much passion or trying to goad people into getting mad in posting in the first place. I think the easiest example was the 'settlement' discussion in the IP thread where someone just kind of obtusely went on and decided to take a different definition of the term explicitly to rile people up. I don't even think they're doing it on purpose any more, that's just how people have been learning to post and get engaged with.

Internet discussions are full of passion, everything on the internet is designed to farm emotional engagement out of you, i don't think it's a bad thing to try to tone things down on an internet forum, even if it might limit the emotional satisfaction of posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I will say this- i think it would cut down on a lot of the talking past each other if people only attributed positions to specific posters or people, and actually had to quote the post in question rather than vague swipes.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

the_steve posted:

It's funny because CSPAM originally was a D&D subforum.
It got split into it's own forum either because the very serious debate havers couldn't abide there being a section for shitposting, or the shitposters were tired of people trying to apply the serious debate rules to the shitpost forum; one or the other/some combination of both.

Well the mods of the shitpost forum will ban+30 people for arguing about the true positions of certain posters. Certain positions just aren't allowed in CSPAM.