Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
D&D is accomplishing the opposite of what it's intending to in my case, after seeing how, if you Mad Libs'd (pun unintended) the Russian/Israeli special military operations, you'll get the exact opposite responses from a particular set.

The most galling one is "stop using the politically loaded term genocide to browbeat and shame people" vs "voting for Biden is condoning genocide," which shows a complete lack of ideological or moral coherence, unless the ideology is supposed to solely consist of a "NO, gently caress YOU DAD UNCLE SAM" temper tantrum.

It makes me think that, while left-wing positions are usually more ethical than right-wing positions, left-wing people are not, and politically engaging with others is pointless because "both sides are the same," full of bitter nihilists consumed by grievance politics who get off on manipulating and provoking strangers on the internet because they feel otherwise incapable of influencing society.

There is a middle ground between naively believing in the invisible hand of the marketplace of ideas, and intentionally trying to corrupt, degrade, and dismantle it. The moderation, by clinging to some techbro belief in the former, has encouraged the latter.

For some constructive advice, I think the thresholds should be lower to thread-ban people. What are the chances that someone who gets probed for a blatantly bad-faith SYQ-mining post is suddenly going to start constructively participating in the discussion after their 12-24 hour probe is done?

Edit: I'll be more constructive and provide an example, from the Ukraine thread, with actual just asking questions at the end:

The Top G posted:

Hmmm, this doesn’t sound very democratic …

https://thehill.com/policy/international/4296123-ukraine-russia-war-volodymyr-zelensky-not-the-right-time-elections/

Seems like a dangerous precedent to set. What’s to keep Zelenskyy from suspending elections indefinitely?

20 posts later, all centered around the OP:

The Top G posted:

I didn’t make any of these claims, please refrain from appealing to the strawman fallacy.

I believe the democratic process is sacrosanct and should not be infringed upon. I think it’s concerning when the leader of a democratic country unilaterally decides to forego elections, and I think his western backers should keep a close eye on him.

Many are quick to excuse human rights violations and atrocities, justifying them in the name of war. To that, I say: enough! The people of Ukraine yearn for freedom from their oppressors, both foreign and domestic.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

This poster should be thread-banned in addition to the probe they received.

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Jose Valasquez posted:

My feedback is that saying hitler had a point about the jews should be more than a 1 day probe

Lol, this entire feedback thread is pointless if they're already this incompetent/malicious.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I think it's OK to ban people who post like they're in /pol/ or some sewage subreddit. Or is Holocaust cheerleading just a minor faux pax as long as it's "ironic"?

That quoted post wasn't even a joke/humor, where's the punchline?

Edit:

If I post "Kanye West makes me think abolition was a mistake," maybe that is absurd enough to be a terrible joke. If I say "Those looting thugs in San Francisco make me think abolition was a mistake," that just makes me sound like a MAGA psycho.

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 8, 2023