Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The actual gore and death is what I don't want to see on the forums and imo the mod team has done a good job of keeping it off. Posters getting weird about said gore and death is just what happens when it's allowed to stay.

And the commonly accepted metric or "major news outlet is using this image, that means it's ok" is imo a very bad one. A picture is horrible regardless of what a private entity or government says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

Swaths of posters don’t want certain topics discussed at all and it’s rooted in bad faith.

I used to think this but banning certain topics is ideological and honest. Posters lobbying to ban (or at least silo) the topic of electoral legitimacy genuinely believe it is a bad faith topic. And in reverse, many posters who don't believe in the legitimacy of liberal democracy may view the banning of such a topic as bad faith.

Imo, both sides are wrong. People can have all sorts of exotic, contradictory, or controversial beliefs even if I personally think they're too absurd to be serious.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Foxrunsecurity posted:

I don't think that a level of paranoia that would lead someone to believe posts they made in public being blind quoted for a chuckle in another part of the same forums means scary authoritarians are coming to get them or are is a sign of creeping fascism is at all healthy and an environment leading to that mindset should be discouraged.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Leper's colony posted:

Strawmanning, though only the part about creeping fascism, as someone did actually say SYQ could lead to authoritarians going after people irl. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.

My feedback: irl lol.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Maera Sior posted:

My feedback: There's too much leniency for users that are trolling, whether they're posting in good faith or not. They know there's been a reaction in the past, they know there will be a reaction in the future, and they don't care.

It seems like trolling is defined not by the intention of the poster but by the reception of his post. Interesting.