Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I just want to chime in to say that, by and large, you guys do a pretty great job of keeping this place from becoming a YT/Yahoo comments section or whatever it is Reddit is doing. I've caught my fair share of probes and some have been bullshit but the mods mostly keep this place in some semblance of order (for no pay) that makes 95% of it readable and mostly worth my time. That can't be easy to pull off, especially on a volunteer basis.

I guess if I were to suggest something, it might be to back off a little bit on posts that stray outside the specific thread topic unless they're causing a massive derail and digging too deep. The shape of the 2024 election, Israel v Palestine, Biden's poll numbers, and Trump's legal issues are as much USCE as most things I can think of and often warrant discussion there even though "there's a thread for that". I suppose the solution is to post in a way that ties it directly to USCE but that's a nebulous and vague bar, really, if we're being honest.

I got probed for posting LARGE BOLD HEADLINES from US news sources that, yeah, have their own threads but, at the same time, seem relevant to USCE. And vice versa, now that I think about it. Unless USCE is just "current events UNLESS they have a dedicated thread", in which case OK, but sometimes it's hard to compartmentalize this kind of talk.

Often, it's really difficult to talk about one topic without interjecting another since everything is connected and affects or informs the other thing.

For example: How do we talk about the GOP primaries without mentioning Trump being in court or the state of the US economy without mentioning healthcare costs or inflation even if there might be a better place to talk about those things? How do we speak on a mass shooting without taking it to a gun control thread if we're specifically talking about the different politicians who are or are not addressing it?

The entire world seems to be coming off the rails and even a topic as narrow and as dedicated as "climate change" informs discussion on everything; from wars in the middle east to elections and several other thread topics I can see just on page one. All the pieces matter and all that.

You're doing a good job though so keep up the good work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Jakabite posted:

It is a position. No one’s mind has ever been changed by participating in an internet debate anyway, its only utility is to convince spectators.

Strongly disagree with this sentiment. Speaking only for myself, I can honestly say that I've had my opinion swayed several times about a large variety of topics. Some of which I knew little about, some I knew a lot about and many that I thought I knew a lot about. I don't mind being called out on my own bullshit or learning why I was mistaken about something.