Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

One thing I liked about some iteration of the Ukraine threads is that the OP had some common recurring topics where good/fresh viewpoints were unlikely summarized and banned from being re-litigated in the thread. I know having the greatest hits banned can be off putting for non regular posters, but I also don't think anybody has anything interesting new to say on the the ethics regarding not voting or violent resistance.

Some contentious topics are also so toxic that even mentioning them seems like a troll at this point and its often the people who get heated responding that catch probes rather than the instigator which feels real bad. The whole notion already falls under II. B. 1, so it would really just be a more rigorous statement of what is "fresh."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Stringent posted:

Going to take the counter position and say, please, please, three times please, make Discendo Vox a moderator.

This sounds like a permaban with extra steps.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Jakabite posted:

I also strongly agree with this. Outright banning linking to violent content in a thread about a literal war smacks of ‘let us opine about these things, but gently caress you if you make me face the reality of what it is I’m opining about’. Ultimately I think if you’re going to sound off about horrendously violent events, you shouldn’t shy away from seeing them. It grounds us in the reality of it and stops it being a game. OwlFancier phrased it better anyhow

I think that is wishful thinking, posting dead bodies in a topic has not really changed anybody's mind on anything in the past. People can always justify it away and it just makes the thread worse off. It usually just serves to start a 2 minutes hate, which can be cathartic, but not really in a healthy way.

We all wish we can make people change their minds based on atrocity, but real reckoning doesn't happen this way.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

It's because D&D operates off of a very middle-class definition of rudeness. Calmly and icily arguing for the deaths of millions of people with a thesaurus in hand and a self-satisfied tone is not rude, it's intellectual drawing room conversation. Getting angry at or, worse, passing moral judgment on someone else in the room, is rude.

But... this is also exactly what you guys wanted?? D&D demanded a place where 'rudeness' was banned so arguments exactly like that could be made without social disapproval: supporting a rapist for president, putting kids in cages (if the president has a blue tie and not a red tie), defending drone strikes, letting covid rip under a Democrat even if it kills more people than died under Trump, etc.

Did you guys really think it would be different on a topic where you disagree with the political establishment? Not killing thousands of innocent civilians is a fringe position in the media and political class of the US, of course the mainstream view is going to be favored.
("You" isn't addressed to you personally, just the generic you)

Tbf the way moderation operates if you post an opinion too far from the median political alignment in here you pretty much have to drop an argument pretty quickly, because if you're getting dogpiled you're making people angry and it's typically assumed that any opinion that makes too many people angry must be a troll. Actual disagreement and debate on a controversial topic is considered a fail state by the moderation team. And by most of the posters left.

Case in point, this thread, people who also post in CSPAM are accused of "farming" for quotes, it's just assumed that no one can sincerely disagree with the slight-left-of-center bent of the forum, and anyone that seems to must be pulling some kind of trick on people.

So idk maybe they guy is posting conservative opinions and declining to defend them as a bad faith troll to make people mad, but hard to tell since defending unpopular opinions will get you punished so perhaps his opinions are sincere and he just doesn't want to be on probation all the time.

While I agree with the sentiment, it's unclear what you actually want.

People are complaining about contrarian posters not being punished enough, and you are complaining about contrarian posters being punished too much while responding to the same point. I'm not sure where the contradiction lies.

I don't think it's a moderation thing that posts going against the grain get a lot of hate engagement. I would consider it a fail when discussion is no longer happening, which is not just a function of the topic but also tone, but that's just how humans operate in a social setting. Or is this another opportunity to soapbox about the general opinion of the forum?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I don't think those are two separate things though? I think you can troll with earnestly held beliefs - where you post something you know the majority would disagree with and then fail to engage with the conversation afterwards. That's why I always though the fixation on "good faith" is kinda silly, because it's not about posters not being earnest, its posters not having basic pattern recognition and posting poo poo that stirs up a poo poo storm every time with the same people and presenting no new evidence or data.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

selec posted:

I think it’s this, and the ongoing splintering of Americans who are left of center. If CE isn’t a place you can talk about politics without swearing fealty to VBNMW, a lot of leftists (not my dumb rear end) are just gonna go to cspam for their politics chat, because they have (rightly, IMO) realized posting isn’t praxis, it’s something you do for fun. You’re just chatting and commiserating, and they’ve made the realization that CE is that but there’s also this rules structure in place that created all these guardrails for reasons that don’t seem meaningful or useful beyond protecting a worldview, which makes it less fun.

Ultimately the first and most important question for moderating, to me, is “are we having fun here?” and if not, why not? If there are certain users who cannot meaningfully have fun posting about certain topics, that’s a them problem to me.

But all this depends on the shared understanding that our posts don’t actually change anything in the world, and thus having fun (and learning stuff) should be our primary goal. If you disagree on that basic point, what are we even doing here?

I think hidden within the question is "what is fun" is "who is it fun for." I personally think the CSPAM forum war stuff is dumb, but I don't read CSPAM personally because it's not a very fun environment to be in for me. And I think it's fine that CSPAM enjoyers have their space. I would think the question about how DnD is would need a deeper examination on what you're enjoying about it and whether the other members of the community are also having fun with it.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Nix Panicus posted:

Which probes are these, that you've seen?

Also, D&D has a freep thread, so you're familiar with the core concept.

I don't think this line of questioning will be particularly fruitful but here you go:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=4016635&pagenumber=2034&perpage=40#post533154281

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I think its quite illustrative of the problems with the forum at large actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

zoux posted:

As long as this forum is a content farm for the other one, D&D will remain dysfunctional. All of the problems in this forum stem from that conflict, no amount of ridiculously obtuse legalistic rule policies will solve what is the obvious issue: everyone is trying to get the guys from the forum they hate in trouble. That cuts both ways, it's just that it all happens here. Until mods are willing to restrict and enforce rules against cross posting, which they never will be, the major traffic threads in this forum will continue to be useless for discussion.

This take is kind of over the top, but it's kinda scary how deeply rooted this is. I don't hold an identity as a DnD poster, and it seems kinda weird that there even would or should be one. I think part of the problem is that there exists the idea of the "DnD poster" who tacitly likes every post in this forum and thinks it is above mockery, which is false. It really feels like there are posters who are really into the us vs them mentality (see the new thread spun from the discussion) and it's just super dumb to even buy into it.