Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I don't actually mind the fastposting as long as it's around an event that's temporally interesting, like say Kevin McCarthy being pantsed on live TV and then later on the sisyphean struggle to find people who liked Jim Jordan.

By and large I have no major issue with the way D&D is moderated, but I will admit that I tend to avoid USPol and so am unlikely to see the electoralism debate that has heated a few tempers in this thread.

Is the state of reports really as bad as some have suggested, as in the mod team being unable to handle the sheer volume? If so then hiring more suckers volunteers to mod, particularly from time zones that span the other side of the world as that Japan-based poster requested, would be a good idea, particularly if election season is going to get particularly clowny in D&D.

Oh I guess I wish fuctifino's probation had been shorter if you want some negative feedback, but I guess he knew the risk of posting what he did so he was willing to bite that bullet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

World Famous W posted:

just to be clear, uspol is in cccc and usce is here. yall banished us, stop trying to take the name back!

This might explain why I stopped following it. I have no object permanence.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Papercut posted:

Only read the first few pages because this thread is moving fast, but I'm just here to agree with the people who believe the rules enforcement here is far too arbitrary. I mostly lurk and have been strongly discouraged from posting because there seem to be a set of mod favorites who regularly derail threads with bullshit, and then the people who respond to them eat a bunch of probes. Call it trolling or bad faith or simple stupidity, whatever you want, but it makes participating in the forum entirely not worth it.

Well going back on my earlier point, now I think about it in the UKMT we do have people who post once and give the impression they're scared of doing so. Some of that is just the fear of stepping into a thread where everyone knows each other to some extent.

But if people also fear a probation that's another matter.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

To be honest speaking to Irish goons has been a great way to learn about Ireland in a way you can't get in the UK because of our terrible whitewashed education system. Hell, even Northern Ireland, supposedly part of the UK, I have to learn from NI goons calmly explaining why I'm dumb, poo poo and wrong.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Nice try Imagineer but I know that's blackface.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That almost makes me wonder about the idea of "kid gloves" threads akin to the "there's no such thing as a stupid question" thread concept or Reddit's "Explain Like I'm Five" subreddit where there's a lower barrier to entry and and extremely zealous moderation standard towards hostility and ridicule.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Google Jeb Bush posted:

That's a pretty interesting idea, actually.

It's a good experience but does really require dedicated moderators/IKs from the offset. Feel free to PM if you don't want to muddy the waters of this thread.

Killer robot posted:

I've definitely learned a lot and had my mind changed a lot when lurking and browsing, and can agree that it's usually easier than when you're actively engaged in a debate. Of course, sometimes it turned out to be dishonest bullshit or bad approaches I had to unlearn later, but that itself is part of a learning process.

This to me is why I don't believe in instantly probating people with bad faith or generally lovely takes - providing a thoughtful (if potentially rude) response is so much better than the perceived complaint of probating people for "wrongthink" - by and large both posters and lurkers want to know why a post got such negative feedback.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

The rules are written to prevent shaming anyone out of a thread for any opinion no matter how terrible, they just appear to have not been enforced this time. Generally shaming someone is a gamble, if you just respond "shut the gently caress up" to someone you get punished. You're "supposed" to report it and move on so mods can take care of it, according to the rules anyway.

It's an interesting one because that was in the UKMT where we are allowed to C-SPAM post as well as D&D post and the general rule is only our IKs are allowed to mete out punishment.

I actually was a little put out that a D&D mod had to come in and punish them as I feel leaving a post like that unprobated, even with thread feedback being harsh, gives a bad impression. The thread had a small argument over the "gently caress off" vs probation approach.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah FWIW I don't think they're a nazi I think it was a joke that misfired badly, so I don't think a permaban is necessarily warranted, but certainly some kind of bad joke tax sure. Some days you miss but there's missing and hitting the wall and there's missing and somehow painting a swastika on the wall.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I think my whining that it should have been did eventually persuade the IKs to intervene rather than leave it to D&D mods next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Reik posted:

Bullying Nazis online is no different than being a Nazi?

Hitler was killed by a Nazi, so it checks out.