Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
I don't think it's possible for rules meant to curtail trolling or deceit to require an objective view into the speaker's heart of hearts. I also don't think they can meaningfully exist if they are automatically bypassed by a doe-eyed assertion of innocent sincerity. It's as absurd as the "It's only bribery if the quid-pro-quo was in writing AND if the exchange involved cloth sacks with dollar signs printed on them" joke. Rules meant to curtail bad faith actors by nature have to have some level of "reasonable person" standard and thus will involve judgement calls of what is reasonable.

Within that context, I think D&D's current moderation definitely isn't on the strict side. You've gotta lay out a lot of rope a lot of times before Koos hangs you with it and even small apologies seem to go a long way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Stringent posted:

Seems like a reasonable description of the status quo would be that acceptable posting practice in D&D is enforced by the moderators, whereas acceptable posting practice in CSPAM is enforced by the posters.

I think if you accept that status quo, the moderation of both forums is working as intended, and both sides are doing a pretty good job of it.

That sounds about as meaningful as "The UK has subjects, America has citizens. :911:" Both forums have acceptable posting guidelines defined by policy both as written and as enforced, however much they differ or how an individual feels they should differ. Both are informed by what the posters will accept without leaving, and enforced enough that a lot of people have been shown the door with and without community consensus as a driving force.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Jakabite posted:

Fair enough, but i think it’s pretty rare. Participating in the debate is I think inherently emotional and results in people digging in like the dumb apes we are. I have had a lot of my opinions changed by reading other peoples’ debates though. That’s why i generally only participate in an even slightly heated discussion on here when I’m pretty drat sure of my position and am willing to plant my flag with no regrets.

I've definitely learned a lot and had my mind changed a lot when lurking and browsing, and can agree that it's usually easier than when you're actively engaged in a debate. Of course, sometimes it turned out to be dishonest bullshit or bad approaches I had to unlearn later, but that itself is part of a learning process.