Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

James Garfield posted:

I think the US politics thread has electoralism derails because people don't get probed for posting about posters as reliably if they call the posters they're posting about "the liberals" (that might also work with "the leftists" but nobody does that)

I tend to think that this could potentially be fine if you just happen to mention the conventional wisdom of the thread/board (without attacking someone by name or making it obvious who you are attacking) on the way towards making whatever point you are trying to make, as long as it does help you in trying to make some kind of a point and it is not excessively whiny, annoying, or an obvious troll.

Killer robot posted:

I don't think it's possible for rules meant to curtail trolling or deceit to require an objective view into the speaker's heart of hearts. I also don't think they can meaningfully exist if they are automatically bypassed by a doe-eyed assertion of innocent sincerity. It's as absurd as the "It's only bribery if the quid-pro-quo was in writing AND if the exchange involved cloth sacks with dollar signs printed on them" joke. Rules meant to curtail bad faith actors by nature have to have some level of "reasonable person" standard and thus will involve judgement calls of what is reasonable.

Within that context, I think D&D's current moderation definitely isn't on the strict side. You've gotta lay out a lot of rope a lot of times before Koos hangs you with it and even small apologies seem to go a long way.

I think this is me right here, I'm probably the D&D mod most likely to be wedgied by Koos for being ridiculously naive and missing the obvious troll/bad faith poster. When I see someone posting an extremely unpopular opinion, I do try to be fair to their POV, but then in doing so, I often miss the signs that someone is just stirring poo poo up for laughs.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU