Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
imo forum wars or spite threads or whatever are the dumbest poo poo that only ever end in Helldump garbage and get a lot of people probed and banned. We're all posting on forums.somethingawful.com in the year of our lord 2024. Our collective dead gay glass house is pretty frail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Give all D&D posters the ability to probe each other for 6 hours. If you really don't like someone you can probe them and they can probe you back! This will improve the discourse.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Gucci Loafers posted:

I think it would hilarious if everyone had the ability to say probe someone for six hours but only once a month so that it used well or some such thing.

Or just possibly dumb.

:hmmyes:

What made SA enjoyable (for me, anyway) way back in the day was that it didn't take itself seriously. We're coming up on Lowtax's Suicide Anniversary Party here in a couple days so I don't want to write a wacky hagiography of the guy or anything, but one thing he did understand even 25 years ago was the absurdity and self-seriousness of Posters On The Internet. We've grown up since then but we've also become the people we used to make fun of. Robert's Rules of Order and the arbitrary enforcement of Forum Rule 2.II.A.C.3.b. in the P/I thread or whatever doesn't mean a goddamn thing except to make people angry in what is left of our community. I'm not saying that D&D should be a second C-SPAM or a new LF, but for gently caress's sake, maybe mods and IKs shouldn't alienate people. Enforce a few important rules (no CP, no gore, no galloping racism) but otherwise let people post what they want to be funny and dumb. lovely mods and admins like Ozma IceQueen and McCaine killed SA's readership, and nobody seems to have learned that lesson.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Bar Ran Dun posted:

That’s never been D&D though. It’s always been serious and aggressive. My first posts almost two decades ago were as a just graduated engineer on the topic of reactor types and nuclear proliferation in Iran. We got into it pretty seriously, quoting nuclear reactor engineering texts and IAEA reports back and forth.

Cefte was of course correct and I was incorrect. But the tone here even decades ago was gently caress you, you are wrong, followed by serious in-depth technical dissociation.

It’s quite far from that. Rhetorical hostility was replaced by actual hostility especially after the Bernie / Hillary primary. But this very much was always place where folks would angrily argue about everything especially religion, philosophy and politics. Along with relatively strict posting rules that changed focus over time.

The tone has always been the problem. I don't know what the ratio is, but I'd imagine D&D gets a lot more lurkers and readers than it does posters, because the "gently caress you you're wrong" hostility makes people not want to post and risk a probe or a ban or a snide seventeen paragraph rebuttal. Like, if Being Right on the Internet actually made a difference to anything in the world ever, okay, but the level of vitriol in D&D over opinions that have zero importance outside of the community has absolutely no benefit. If anything, it has driven people away who may otherwise have something to contribute.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

On one hand, you're right that part of the reason this site worked was it mocked the self-seriousness of other parts of the internet, but it's not the only reason. Lowtax also recognized that every other site was filled with stupid low-effort garbage, and went out of his way to insist that you do not post unless what you have to say is funny, informative, or interesting. I don't know about robert's rules of order, but on the one forum set aside to focus on the "informative" part of that, it seems pretty appropriate to have stricter rules to me. I don't like the the attitude of treating forums conflict as super serious and wish everyone would chill the gently caress out but I think it's cool to have a variety of places with a variety of expectations here.

Informative is one thing, sure. But stricter rules don't always lead to that. In this thread, ostensibly posted for feedback, I just saw Nix get forum banned because Koos thought they had a history of bad faith trolling, while Nix says he's being sincere. I don't know Nix and Koos outside of this thread and have not had any interactions with either of them ever, but a mod having the ability to arbitrarily forum ban somebody who hasn't done anything especially egregious except for posting what is likely their legitimate opinion seems not right or useful. I can name a dozen people I think have to be trolling because what they say is absurd to me but I don't think they should be forum banned for it. If somebody just wants information, there's always wikipedia.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 7, 2023