Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Conservative posters should have to be 3 times funnier than the funniest leftist poster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Missing Donut posted:

Feedback 1: Stop using the rule numbers as reasons in the Leper's Colony. Aside from being a really poor way to communicate the reason, the rules can and will change, so using static references is just a terrible way to log these issues.

No, keep doing this. It's hilarious and only 3 people in all of the forums care or even know what the gently caress specific rule they're referring to, lol.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Feedback thread goin' well!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Forumban the United States next, Koos.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

No, opinions you don’t like don’t deserve bans if they are articulated with arguments. Thats the whole idea here. You retort with flaws in the points and then leave it be. If their arguments don’t have any basis, then you probe for not bringing anything to the table other than hateful, exclusionary feelings. But not until that’s made abundantly clear. The reality is there’s always some misunderstanding in-between, the gray area. Some folk’s method of getting to that may be making an outlandish claim and waiting for the entire internet to tell them why they’re wrong-they are just less empathic, not necessarily bad faith or trolling. But only if they tackle the points brought forward. That’s D&D

Short one liners, reductivism, etc. are all social tools used to bully. You can say you feel okay bullying Nazis, go do so in GBS or CSPAM. These are leftist tools for control, acting no different than Nazis, just with a different target. That’s not debating or discussing. Calling someone a Nazi should not be okay unless you take the effort to compare their arguments with those historically made by the reich. Calling someone a Nazi doesn’t change them. Banning doesn’t either. Showing them how their arguments mirror Nazi principles might. This goes the other way too

If the effect of your argument is to turn anyone you dislike into a ‘ist’ to nullify their opinion you aren’t debating or discussing. Way too much of this going on here.

Feel pretty ok bullying Nazis in D&D, actually.

Edit:

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

Calling someone a Nazi doesn’t change them. Banning doesn’t either. Showing them how their arguments mirror Nazi principles might. This goes the other way too

At least we're acknowledging that the goal is to allow Nazis to present their arguments on equal ground with non-fascist ideology. Seems good, actually.

mutata fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 8, 2023

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ah, so the unironic fash-posting has been traced to the UKMT thread and ultimately determined that it's not D&D mods' problem.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Koos Group posted:

I don't believe it's unironic, and yes, our policy is that we allow UKMT to handle its own affairs.

What's the logical fallacy where someone presents a point, introduces an example, then the opponent only argues semantics of the example and purposefully avoids the actual point? Pretty sure that's in the list somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Koos Group posted:

I was not purposely avoiding your point. I understood it to be that there is a post in the UKMT thread you find objectionable and feel D&D mods should do something about it, and I attempted to address that directly.

Ah, my mistake. The point is this one:

Jose Valasquez posted:

Glad we're focusing on the jurisdictional issues instead of the fact the guy who said hitler had a point only got a 1 day probe.

This is hardly unique to the UKMT thread, and is in fact D&D policy as I understand it.