Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Why are people like Mister Fister allowed to post racist conspiracy theory level nonsense in the Palestine/Israel thread completely unpunished? You probe pro-Palestinian people for much less all the time in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Koos Group posted:

I would need to have examples of posts by Mister Fister that were reported but not probed to explain exactly why they weren't. There is no policy that pro-Palestinian people are treated any differently than pro-Israeli people, though because pro-Palestinian is something like a 90-10 majority, it would make sense that there would be more probations of that side overall even if the rates are the same.

Sure!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3754814&pagenumber=484&perpage=40#post535657365

In here Fister posts 3 tweets, one from MEMRI TV, which is well known to not be a reliable sources, one from some random bluecheck with 1,500 followers, and one from @StopAntisemitism, a bias twitter account that has spent most of the last week doxxing women that tore down "missing persons" posters in the USA for Israeli captives. None of these are reliable sources, but the third one is at least relatively easy to verify, even though it is putting the onus on the readers to verify what they posted. The first two are just inexcusable tweets to post without any context, explanation, or justification. I know this post was reported because I tried to report it and got the message that it had been reported recently.

Of course there isn't a written down D&D rule for explicit bias against pro-Palestinian posters, if that was the case this thread would look very different I imagine, but I don't know how else to explain this post making through administration when someone got probed for posting a tweet from a Democracy Now journalist citing the Gaza Ministry of Health that got overturned after people called it out. That isn't a numbers issue.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Koos Group posted:

It appears that post was handled by a different mod, and no explanation was given for not acting on the report (this is normal due to the high number of reports we receive). MEMRI had not been discussed during the course of the current conflict as being unreliable until after Mister Fister posted it, so that can be considered an honest mistake, and now that the truth has come to light others who post it without explaining themselves will be probed for not acknowledging rebuttals/ongoing debate. His second source does clearly seem to violate the rule against Twitter randos, so I will consider your posting of it here an appeal and punish it accordingly, with a warning to use better sources in general.

That actually could be considered a numbers issue, as it was caused by myself rushing through the large volume of reports, and the people who make up the bulk of the thread and are therefore there bulk of reports often are more likely to be victims of that sort of arbitrary error.

D&D is intended as a place where people of any political or philosophical persuasion can discuss and debate. If a large number of posters disagree with you, that is not a moderation issue unless they are insulting you, acting in bad faith or repeating each others' points, all of which should be reported.

You say MEMRI had not been discussed as being unreliable so it could be an honest mistake, had there been previous discussions of the Democracy Now journalist as being unreliable?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

No, opinions you don’t like don’t deserve bans if they are articulated with arguments. Thats the whole idea here. You retort with flaws in the points and then leave it be. If their arguments don’t have any basis, then you probe for not bringing anything to the table other than hateful, exclusionary feelings. But not until that’s made abundantly clear. The reality is there’s always some misunderstanding in-between, the gray area. Some folk’s method of getting to that may be making an outlandish claim and waiting for the entire internet to tell them why they’re wrong-they are just less empathic, not necessarily bad faith or trolling. But only if they tackle the points brought forward. That’s D&D

Short one liners, reductivism, etc. are all social tools used to bully. You can say you feel okay bullying Nazis, go do so in GBS or CSPAM. These are leftist tools for control, acting no different than Nazis, just with a different target. That’s not debating or discussing. Calling someone a Nazi should not be okay unless you take the effort to compare their arguments with those historically made by the reich. Calling someone a Nazi doesn’t change them. Banning doesn’t either. Showing them how their arguments mirror Nazi principles might. This goes the other way too

If the effect of your argument is to turn anyone you dislike into a ‘ist’ to nullify their opinion you aren’t debating or discussing. Way too much of this going on here.

Bullying Nazis online is no different than being a Nazi?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Koos Group posted:

Yes, positions aren't moderated in D&D, even the worst ones, though that post also would have been hit in D&D proper for other reasons. This is because doing so makes moderators arbiters of what's good and right, which in turn makes moderation much more difficult, makes rule enforcement issues into political issues, and stifles debate. For a more in-depth explanation of my reasoning, I would recommend using search to find my posts which say "moderate positions" or variations thereof. Because this policy has been debated extensively it is unlikely to change.

This moderation philosophy seems to embody the idea of "perfect is the enemy of good". You're struggling so hard to achieve perfectly objective moderation that you're forgetting that a moderator is supposed to be someone that applies their judgment, which is inherently subjective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Koos Group posted:

The goal is not perfect objectivity. The goal is that a mod's judgement is employed in matters of whether something is interesting, whether someone is being sincere, whether something is damaging discussion, and that sort of thing. Rather than our judgement being employed to give unassailable answers to political, philosophical or scientific questions.

When you ban a racist you're not giving an answer to a question, you're taking an action that makes the forum a healthier place. You shouldn't have a policy that says "we don't moderate positions", you should have a policy that says "we don't want to moderate positions but will do so if it will improve the forum." Otherwise you're putting your personal philosophy over the role of the moderator.