Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Going to take the counter position and say, please, please, three times please, make Discendo Vox a moderator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Seems like a reasonable description of the status quo would be that acceptable posting practice in D&D is enforced by the moderators, whereas acceptable posting practice in CSPAM is enforced by the posters.

I think if you accept that status quo, the moderation of both forums is working as intended, and both sides are doing a pretty good job of it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I have some actual feedback to ask about!

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

The ironic thing about the above bit is that you were actually an IK of USPOL at some point (as laughable as that is) and you used to do the exact type of poo poo that you're now "braying about", in your own words. You weren't quite as blatant and shameless about your abuse of your position as your fellow then-IK Majorian was (who was actually dumb enough to get caught openly taking orders/direction from the freaks over in succzone about which D&D poster to probate next), but it was very obvious to anyone who was actually watching that you would constantly give sixers to whoever dared disagree with him even slightly, and he did the same for you. So it is quite rich that you are now flinging these accusations and criticisms at the current cohort of mods and posters.

I'm in an odd timezone (Japan), so this kind of post always confuses me. When these kinds of posts come up in the off hours when no D&D mods are around, it's easy to see them stay up for hours and assume this is a permitted tone of discourse. Like, without seeing whether this gets probed or not, I feel like I have no compass as to whether or not it's OK to reply in kind.

So as actual feedback, could you put out some feelers for some more non-US timezone mods? Asia/ANZAC timezone in particular?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
3. Requiring mods to understand what "good faith posting" is versus trolling without posting examples is, "dumb".

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Baronash posted:

Obviously that's not an ideal situation, and there are IKs who do great work with specific threads and more mods would be great, but I don't think we'll ever be at the point where you should expect that someone you are currently in a discussion with is going to get hit with a probe in the moment.

Well, that seems like an action item that could be acted upon?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

gurragadon posted:

You should leave this feedback thread open permanently and maybe close it every once in a while if it goes off topic. Private messaging a moderator is not a substitute. Many people want to give their feedback in a public forum so others can add on to their feedback and so they know that their feedback is at least being seen by someone. Leaving the thread open through the week is an improvement because many people don't even use the forums on the weekend though. Private messaging is also a premium feature and feedback should not be reserved for only premium users.

Having a thread quarterly (was 3rd quarter skipped this year or am I missing it?) has everyone try to get all their opinions out at once which leads to more fighting and less results. Many problems would be solved better if they were dealt with sooner and with the events more recent in everyone's mind.

This is a good idea, with the caveat that everyone that posts in it, if they're complaining about a kind of posting, has to post at least three examples of the kinds of posts they're complaining about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Baronash posted:

But if the hope is that we can have enough coverage to be calling balls and strikes in the moment, I don't think there's a reasonable number of mods that can make that a reality. It's also just not a reliable way to understand what is and isn't acceptable, because if you're catching up on a thread later there are all sorts of reasons why a specific rulebreaking post might not have a "User was put on probation for this post" tag.

That is the hope, because if you're catching up on a thread later there's all kinds of rules that have kind of materialized in the last 5-10 pages that you might have missed. I understand it's a burden, but to that end, what's a reasonable number of mods?