Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Throwing my 2 cents,

D&D is kind of meh. I guess it's better than in the past few years but I find it rather hostile and unproductive. It's quite clear that there is a large of group of folks that don't want things debated but only discussed with a fixed narrative. Sometimes even that discussion can be quite good but anyone with other perspectives aren't remotely welcome which is a problem. There's also a very real issue with harassment generated from CSPAM attacking specific posters they don't like and along with off-site social media encouraging it even further to the point where they are literally trying to get admins fired. :lol:

It's dumb and bad even for comedy site.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I think it would hilarious if everyone had the ability to say probe someone for six hours but only once a month so that it used well or some such thing.

Or just possibly dumb.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Eason the Fifth posted:

:hmmyes:

What made SA enjoyable (for me, anyway) way back in the day was that it didn't take itself seriously. We're coming up on Lowtax's Suicide Anniversary Party here in a couple days so I don't want to write a wacky hagiography of the guy or anything, but one thing he did understand even 25 years ago was the absurdity and self-seriousness of Posters On The Internet. We've grown up since then but we've also become the people we used to make fun of. Robert's Rules of Order and the arbitrary enforcement of Forum Rule 2.II.A.C.3.b. in the P/I thread or whatever doesn't mean a goddamn thing except to make people angry in what is left of our community. I'm not saying that D&D should be a second C-SPAM or a new LF, but for gently caress's sake, maybe mods and IKs shouldn't alienate people. Enforce a few important rules (no CP, no gore, no galloping racism) but otherwise let people post what they want to be funny and dumb. lovely mods and admins like Ozma IceQueen and McCaine killed SA's readership, and nobody seems to have learned that lesson.

I mean, it still is a comedy forum on the internet but does that mean we can't do a little house keeping? Stop the continued harassment from CSPAM and other low effort garbage. I don't remember how the the other folks ran the place but it's simple to me if people keep beating a dead horse like "Electoralism" they should be stopped.

Eason the Fifth posted:

The tone has always been the problem. I don't know what the ratio is, but I'd imagine D&D gets a lot more lurkers and readers than it does posters, because the "gently caress you you're wrong" hostility makes people not want to post and risk a probe or a ban or a snide seventeen paragraph rebuttal. Like, if Being Right on the Internet actually made a difference to anything in the world ever, okay, but the level of vitriol in D&D over opinions that have zero importance outside of the community has absolutely no benefit. If anything, it has driven people away who may otherwise have something to contribute.

Agreed.