Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

I've done process serving in a few states always as a side gig. Real nice semi-abusable cashflow. Always worked as an independent contractor. That way, the org doesn't care what you bill them because they pass the cost off to the law office, and the lawyers don't care what they're billed because they pass the cost off to the client. It has always been the largest pay per hour in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

redshirt posted:

Did you have any wacky adventures? Dress up in disguise?

I started just when Pineapple Express came out in theatres so alot of people have always had big expectations from me about this job. Every delivery is a bit of an adventure

I made a recovery on a partially failed service where I got two out of three guys in the same dealership at once. Its always hard if they're expecting you, harder when they get tipped off that they're outside your office. I needed two repair shop guys and the president of the dealership, so I requested the president's presence at the front desk, then went around to maintenance, found the first repair guy and asked him if the second repair guy was around. He brought the guy over and I served them both then went back to the front desk. In that time they had already alerted the president, and the secretary told me to leave. Hid out in the parking lot for forty minutes talking with my boss, getting chased out by dealers, and in that time I was sent a pic of the dealership president's sedan with instructions to wait nearby. My boss uses bait calls to get people out of a building, like he'll call "from the daughter's school" or all sorts of other unethical poo poo. Sure enough he walks out to his car and I got him.

Divorce papers are also fun. Apparently, at least in the state of Minnesota, serving your spouse first allows you to getter set favorable court conditions. I'm honestly not sure what that boils down into. Nevertheless, after arguments where the sentiments of "I'm divorcing you!" "No, I'm divorcing YOU!" are passed, its kinda a race to see who can serve who first. Spouses provide a ton of intel and you'd expect a whole email full of photos of the spouse, the spouse's vehicles, interior and exterior shots of places they frequent.

Small businesses suck. They often are already expecting you, and you usually have to do it on their territory.

One thing I'm always surprised about is how much access people will give you if they're convinced you know the right person. I've lost myself in countless warehouses with no supervision.