Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

game is on sale for 60% off right now, way better than $70

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah I can reasonably reccomend this at 30 dollars or less, the game is very fun to run around in and explore the world once you get going, some of the later stuff can really encapsulate just being real far from civilization in a beautiful but incredibly treacharous place.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The real shame is that the backlash was so severe the studio that made the game just died basically immediately. They did a DLC which I'm going to cover after the main game is done which is interesting and expands on some yet-to-be-met characters in fun ways and then there'll be nothing else ever again. It also sets up a sequel hook in the DLC but not in a "the story fails to end" way, more in a "Frey's adventures will continue" sort of way, so it's not like the story just stops, it's just there are other chapters of her journey that we won't be privvy to.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Szarrukin posted:

I know that popular opinion is that this game is bad, but to this day I don't really know why this game is bad (except usual gamer stuff "its bad bcause its woke")

I tried the demo out and the gameplay failed to hook me at all. I came into the demo wanting to like the game because the premise of the combat system was interesting to me, but it just felt awful and unsatisfying to control. I'm sure there's some depth to the system and that it gets better over time, but I wasn't about to shell out a ton of money for a new game and sink how many hours into it to maybe get a fun gaming experience when I have dozens of other games to go through first. Hell, if I wanted to play another open world game, I could just boot up Elden Ring again.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
One thing I will say is that while the default earth shot spell is a bit lame, the l2 spells are quite satisfying. I love knocking down large crowds with Tendril.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
The game would really be just so much better if it started with red magic.

But then red L2 spells feel bad lol

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Dirk the Average posted:

I tried the demo out and the gameplay failed to hook me at all. I came into the demo wanting to like the game because the premise of the combat system was interesting to me, but it just felt awful and unsatisfying to control. I'm sure there's some depth to the system and that it gets better over time, but I wasn't about to shell out a ton of money for a new game and sink how many hours into it to maybe get a fun gaming experience when I have dozens of other games to go through first. Hell, if I wanted to play another open world game, I could just boot up Elden Ring again.

I bought the game specifically because of the demo. I had heard horrible things about it, and I really hate weird controlling parkour systems, so that push in the advertising turned me off; then I actually got to use it, and I loved it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Heh, I literally only have the game because it came with the PS5.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Part 11: The Blessed Plains, Part 2, (also Her Name is Bellette)

In which I discuss a personal bugbear with the plot of the game that I have, while also discussing an aspect of this area that I like in it's design.

I'll add the character bios this weekend.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Part 12: The Guardian's Way, Part 1

Today we begin to explore the second of Tanta Sila's main locations, the Guardian's Way

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

You were getting some pretty bad static and audio clipping on your commentary in this episode.

No offense, but I think your microphone is going the way of the dodo.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Sel Nar posted:

You were getting some pretty bad static and audio clipping on your commentary in this episode.

No offense, but I think your microphone is going the way of the dodo.

I'm using my work headset, we are getting a raise next month which will be backpaid for 6 months so I'll use some of that to get a new microphone with proper built in static prevention/popfilter. I'm also hoping to get a new computer eventually as my current one is old AF which is probably why it can't bake a video longer than 20 minutes without glitching.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 17, 2023

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just letting you all know that I have a proper mic with pop filter, so my next few vids should sound MUCH better commentary-wise. Just got it today.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

BioEnchanted posted:

Just letting you all know that I have a proper mic with pop filter, so my next few vids should sound MUCH better commentary-wise. Just got it today.

Very cool, I've been enjoying this so far so hearing that it'll be improved is awesome.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

My first video trying the new mic was a bit echoey, so I'm going to solve that by recording the commentary for the next forspoken video standing outside my computer room as my living room is much bigger, so should echo a lot less. At least I had a video to figure out the mic before I tried the next forspoken vid, which will be hopefully sometime today.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Looking forward to it!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Part 13: The Guardian's Way, Part 2

Here is the next Forspoken video, with new mic and me recording outside the small office I use to reduce echo as the living room is much bigger.

I've done my best but it balances differently now, hopefully everything is at a decent level.

In this part we are introduced to a new type of challenge and the game starts making things harder by throwing enemies that are resistant to our magic at us.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 31, 2023

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

You know what - I DO think that the more alien costume design - of the city leaders, of the Valorant cloak - they are pretty good. I won't hold THAT against the game. Reminds me of the aesthetics of the Endless series.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

No idea of the plot whatsoever but I'm going to guess that enemies don't have similar magic to Frey, Frey has similar magic to enemies.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Samovar posted:

You know what - I DO think that the more alien costume design - of the city leaders, of the Valorant cloak - they are pretty good. I won't hold THAT against the game. Reminds me of the aesthetics of the Endless series.

It reminds me of Warframe! And yeah, those are good.

But again, the game does not lean into the direction at all. Everything you see that's good is purely incidental.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Part 14: Entering Middle Praenost

In this episode we learn more about the Demon that the Reddig set loose upon Athia, and also see how the game is starting to play with types of challenges, not just making them harder with stronger enemies, but adding little twists. Also the cutest collectible rears it's adorable head. However, at this part the early Praenost areas do start to look a bit overly similar as it's the first main line of Sila's defense, so there's no really that much separating the Guardians Way and Middle Praenost, which is a shame.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm going to have a new computer in a few days that should be able to handle longer recordings, so for future videos I might start abridging them, only showing what's actually new or interesting, as that'll allow for more to be covered in each video and they might get less repetitive between plot beats.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Didn't see the update pre-New Years, how annoying!

So, something which has crystallized in me from watching this series is something I feel Forspoken is not that good at (but it certainly isn't the only game guilty of it) is combat barks. And, thinking over it, it's strange that something so relatively minor has such a huge part in making a game feel... Able to draw the player in.

I remember playing Half-Life as a young kid; not fully realizing how the barks worked - but freezing in place when I heard the marines mutter 'Sarge, I hear something' or being able to translate the alien soldiers language in Ops For and knowing when to expect a grenade. In Prey, hearing the muttering of the Typhon and then being extremely disorientated hearing the same words come from a couple of human survivors much later in the game. Hell - it can be made fun of and still be engaging (the Clockwork soldiers in Dishonored II).

But in Forspoken it... Seems kinda generic. 'We got this!' or the like. The occasional response to an enemy special attack or tactic. As I said, this isn't a monopolized problem with Forspoken, but it is one I feel is still there.

Looking forward to the next update, though!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Samovar posted:

Didn't see the update pre-New Years, how annoying!

So, something which has crystallized in me from watching this series is something I feel Forspoken is not that good at (but it certainly isn't the only game guilty of it) is combat barks. And, thinking over it, it's strange that something so relatively minor has such a huge part in making a game feel... Able to draw the player in.

I remember playing Half-Life as a young kid; not fully realizing how the barks worked - but freezing in place when I heard the marines mutter 'Sarge, I hear something' or being able to translate the alien soldiers language in Ops For and knowing when to expect a grenade. In Prey, hearing the muttering of the Typhon and then being extremely disorientated hearing the same words come from a couple of human survivors much later in the game. Hell - it can be made fun of and still be engaging (the Clockwork soldiers in Dishonored II).

But in Forspoken it... Seems kinda generic. 'We got this!' or the like. The occasional response to an enemy special attack or tactic. As I said, this isn't a monopolized problem with Forspoken, but it is one I feel is still there.

Looking forward to the next update, though!

Could be worse. "Burn, burn. burn to the gr- burn to the gr- bur-bur-burn to the ground!" :P

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Could be worse. "Burn, burn. burn to the gr- burn to the gr- bur-bur-burn to the ground!" :P

Yes, that one also sprang to mind.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

More complex issue than I thought - I have my new computer, but cannot install my old software, as Roxio Gamecap HD Pro no longer exists online, and even if I could find the installation CD, no modern PCs have disk drives. So I'm afraid this will be on hold until I can get a new capture card that is more compatible with newer tech. Really annoying, a lot of software that I used to use like YNAB is no longer available - YNAB is now an online only thing and it requires a monthly subscription.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Forspoken at least does allow you to turn off 95% of all
the combat barks, I had it off for most of my first playthrough and frey randomly saying "yup" constantly mid combat at nothing is burned into my brain. Turning them mostly off frankly makes sense too since theres nothing to banter at aside from cuff and cuff is always around.

As for the familars those made me think they might have been trying some sort of witchy asthetic at some point, between those and a lot of the item descriptions but frankly im no expert in regards to that.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Bummer to hear about the software issues. Thumbs held it gets resolved soon.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jan 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'll just need to get a new capture device that doesn't need an installation CD to make it work, it'll just take time as I already spent a bunch on the new PC.