Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I've had this idea for a couple weeks now.
So antique shops are always filled with absolutely weird poo poo. They're a place where junk goes to rot on a shelf for a few more years until someone either buys it or it goes into a dumpster.
Just think, all that porcelain you buy will go back to the antique shop when you die too; truly a beautiful cycle akin to life itself.
I've waded through the trenches of weird smells, wobbly floors, and old ladies to bring you... STUFF.

This one explains itself.
For once the child belongs in a plastic bag.

Looks sorta like a goblin?
Shameless Garfield ripoff.
Don't look at me like that, Sully.

AaaaAaa

I'll leave this one to be interpreted.
Murder.
I'm a big fan of black santa.
Perfect for holding

Rad Santa
Discontent Superman
I'm not sure what it is about this one but I like it
Sad clown!

I will start it off with... this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

How old does something have to be before it's an antique?

I'm betting most goons are older than some of those items. I'm betting i could get a few wood carvings from a local charity, bury them in the back yard for a week to season them, dig them up and clean them and then pass them off as antiques.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Valko posted:

How old does something have to be before it's an antique?

I'm betting most goons are older than some of those items. I'm betting i could get a few wood carvings from a local charity, bury them in the back yard for a week to season them, dig them up and clean them and then pass them off as antiques.

There's ALWAYS just random poo poo strewn in that is definitely not antique at antique shops.
For example I saw a minion and some Frozen stuff. I'm not sure what I'd consider the cutoff, but I'm not old and even I'm older than stuff I find.

But the point was to find weird things, not necessarily old things.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

Holy poo poo. I think I went to high school with the person that made it. Roughly 35 years ago.

Ceramics class, guy was weird/cool as heck. Everything he made was at least slightly demented, and some stuff was nightmare material. He got good marks for being "creative".

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Internetjack posted:

Holy poo poo. I think I went to high school with the person that made it. Roughly 35 years ago.

Ceramics class, guy was weird/cool as heck. Everything he made was at least slightly demented, and some stuff was nightmare material. He got good marks for being "creative".

Unfortunately didn't check it for names, but it was found in Colorado if that makes it any more likely.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

One more for good measure.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
This turned out creepier than I thought it would.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Das Boo posted:

This turned out creepier than I thought it would.

Thanks, I hate it!
It's perfect.

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021

Internetjack posted:

AAA! Real pottery head!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Such a fine line between "Antiques" and "Goodwill"

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i would like to ask you to acquire the singing, throating chef for me

i offer you nothing in return

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

cumpantry posted:

throating chef

Putting a whole new meaning to saucier.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
If you go out to the east coast the antique stores have a very different vibe, it turns out they actually have antiques and poo poo. Antique stores west of the Mississippi are mostly full of plastic crap that averages around 30 years old.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

the holy poopacy posted:

If you go out to the east coast the antique stores have a very different vibe, it turns out they actually have antiques and poo poo. Antique stores west of the Mississippi are mostly full of plastic crap that averages around 30 years old.

BRB, Going to drive 2,000 miles.
Yeah the 2 stores I checked out today were pretty full of newer stuff. There was lots of genuinely old stuff but it's not usually wacky.

A 100yo sewing machine and hemingray glass insulators don't make for good photoshops I imagine so I didn't think to take pictures of those.
Saw some vintage photgraphed titties though so that was pretty cool.

E: if there's genuine interest in a thread like this I'll try to find some proper weird antiques next time.

Grey Cat fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 5, 2023

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

cumpantry posted:

i would like to ask you to acquire the singing, throating chef for me

i offer you nothing in return

That’s actually a fairly recent wine caddy. My brother-in-law (at the time) got one as a Christmas gift for my father-in-law a couple of decades ago.

I’m pretty sure after it was taken out of the box so we could all see it without a wine bottle, we all just stared for a few seconds with a smirk, including my brother-in-law. Then we stuck a wine bottle in there. The pictures on the box and online for that product did not include any without the bottle.

I have a picture somewhere of this super creepy glass clown cigar ashtray that was at an antique mall in Nashville. I just need to figure out where that image is saved.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

i've definitely seen one of these creepy motherfuckers too. that exact hideous elf. pretty sure i took a picture of it. if i can find it in my google photos i'll update.

ok yeah the one i took a picture of is VERY similar. i'm on my chromebook, will post the picture tomorrow. its gotta be from the same manufacturer. i took the photo at (i think?) christmas tree shops in 2015.

Aishlinn fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 5, 2023

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Aishlinn posted:

i've definitely seen one of these creepy motherfuckers too. that exact hideous elf. pretty sure i took a picture of it. if i can find it in my google photos i'll update.

ok yeah the one i took a picture of is VERY similar. i'm on my chromebook, will post the picture tomorrow. its gotta be from the same manufacturer. i took the photo at (i think?) christmas tree shops in 2015.

If you can't find the photo it's because it was deleted by the hideous elf.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Internetjack posted:

My pottery instructor made a lot of cool caricature faces like that too! Though hers were usually on a mug or glass or something else practical.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

redshirt posted:

Such a fine line between "Antiques" and "Goodwill"

The line is usually antique shops charging a ton more for the same stuff you find at thrift shops.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Mega64 posted:

The line is usually antique shops charging a ton more for the same stuff you find at thrift shops.

This fine 1993 sealed bottle of cola can be yours for a bargain of $50.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Whenever I am dragged to an antique shop you better believe I am rubbing every lamp and bottle I can.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

redshirt posted:

Whenever I am dragged to an antique shop you better believe I am rubbing every lamp and bottle I can.

I'd be concerned if someone didn’t.
But it being antique you only get 1 wish, the other 2 were used up.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I got big regrets not buying this wall scroll I saw a few years ago

RavenousScoot
Mar 22, 2013

Grey Cat posted:

I'd be concerned if someone didn’t.
But it being antique you only get 1 wish, the other 2 were used up.

drat shrinkflation even hit genies? they're only giving out one wish per person now

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Konar posted:

I would hang this on my wall.
One of the 2001 movies of all time.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Konar posted:

You hosed up so bad

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

110223_2
Nov 2, 2023
Spending my "money" on antiques in the year 2023. To fill up my house

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

:wow:

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

the holy poopacy posted:

Gonna take the “family bloodline uncorrupted by colour or catholicism for three centuries” award I found in new hampshire to antiques roadshow

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

:vince:

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

:five:

RavenousScoot
Mar 22, 2013

these are my poo poo^

also stopped at an antique shop today

this poo poo is not an antique

I couldn't help myself and went home with the dogs playing poker bust

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mint condition tighty wighties from 1975, never worn.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

RavenousScoot posted:

this poo poo is not an antique

A story in two pictures.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

In 1979 I had all the Shogun Warriors. Toys I would much later learn were quite valuable.

Antique? Or not?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

My mother owns this in two sizes.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Aishlinn posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

RavenousScoot posted:

You made the right choice, my God.

These are my last two antique store buys. Little wolf puppet:

And this guy!