Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Namtab)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Monday Nitro 15/01/96

Singles Match - Randy Savage vs. Lex Luger
Tag Team Match - The Public Enemy (Johnny Grunge & Rocco Rock) vs. American Males (Marcus Alexander Bagwell & Scotty Riggs)
WCW World Heavyweight Title Match - Ric Flair (w/Jimmy Hart) (c) vs. Sting
Singles Match - Hulk Hogan vs. Meng (w/The Taskmaster)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

I think this Nitro is also a solid 3,5/5. The Savage v. Luger was a mid tier match, but as there wasn't much hand related hijinks, it was ok. Pillman slap was a good moment and the Giant only posed around without a clusterfuck, a definite plus. The Public Enemy v. American Males could have gone harder but the after match double table trick was neat. Ric Flair v. Sting was the highlight of the evening and it was really fun to watch in both the moves, but the drama side of things as well. Would have preferred a different ending but the look on Sting's face after the match was gold. Savage got to speak so that is also a plus. The Meng v. Hogan was... what I feared. I absolutely despise the hulkout finish, but at least the ending of the episode didn't see most of the talent inside the ring or ringside. You know, I just remembered that there were two big boys within a minute, so that actually raises the final score to 4.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

3.5/5

American Males is so bad, Sting good, Macho good, Hogan finds a new way to ruin the end of a show

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

very happy that savage lost clean

he shouldnt be wrestling at all with his injury, but when they also insisted on having him not lose it just made everyone look bad and broke the suspension of disbelief

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Furnaceface posted:

3.5/5

American Males is so bad, Sting good, Macho good, Hogan finds a new way to ruin the end of a show

What do you mean *new* ways?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Hazamuth posted:

What do you mean *new* ways?

Re-writing The Thirty-Six Dramatic Situations to be ways Hogan ruins the show

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Meng rules

You Can Join Something Awful Wrestling Today

Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9pm Eastern on twitch.tv/tha_swizzler

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

In just under 5 hours (10PM GMT), NXT Takeover New Orleans will be streamed via the SAW discord. Please join us (don't be weird): https://discord.gg/KVMfMRRM

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I remember the show from the old days, back when I watched NXT. It's great and the main event is one of the best matches WWE have ever done. The story isn't that great for it but that doesn't really matter here.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
it was good. can definitely see how my more jaded friend at the time couldnt like the show when im now brain poisoned like he was then

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
also i already decided if i win what i'm nominating. hopefully its online somewhere easily

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

That last match was fantastic but Im kind of sad kfg ruined the aftermath. The feud should have ended there, not started!

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Furnaceface posted:

That last match was fantastic but Im kind of sad kfg ruined the aftermath. The feud should have ended there, not started!

That was the end.
It just started and ended at least two more times

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 24, 2024

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Thats even worse!

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
wwe has no happy/good endings sorry

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

KungFu Grip posted:

wwe has no happy/good endings sorry

what about when the copyright notice appears and whatever is on next starts?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

WCW Nitro 22/01/96

WCW World Heavyweight Title Match - Ric Flair (w/Jimmy Hart) (c) vs. Randy Savage (w/Woman)
Singles Match - Brian Pillman vs. Dean Malenko
WCW World Tag Team Title Match - Harlem Heat (Booker T & Stevie Ray) (c) vs. Lex Luger & Sting
Non Title Match - Hulk Hogan vs. The One Man Gang

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Woman and American Males.

WCW at the peak of naming.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males American Males

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHoMDO9SGrw

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

the flair v. savage was starting to gain a little steam after a sluggish start but then arn anderson and hogan came out and
uhh, the match ended. the aftermath was good as long as savage continued talking, but hogan ruins everything simply by
opening his mouth. dean malenko v. brian pillman showcased nice, very solid ringwork between the two with pillman's personality
being the icing on top of the cake. however, the finish was boring af. mehh. the tag team match of harlem heat vs. luger and
sting was pretty much as expected of when luger and sting team up. luger is overpowering but when sting is tagged in, he gets
his rear end whipped until luger comes in with the win. Still, there were some cool spots in the match and Sting managed to raise
the tension by some little fightbacks. The fistful of dollars finish was fresh as at least it wasn't the wiggle. hogan v.
one man gang was absolute garbage. It does not deserve to be talked about.

Final score 1,5/5

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The highlight for me was basically just the dude in the green shirt gesticulating madly anytime he thought he was on camera

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

hogan draging nitro down into the garbage

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Nitro's standard formula of only 1 good match per show and some hit-and-miss promos/angles continues to be a recipe for mostly failure. Konnan's promo was short but he showed good confidence. Savage vs Flair was very low-effort for a WCW World Title match. Savage gave yet another performance devoid of anything interesting, instead just going through the motions the whole time. Flair gave good effort with everything he did, even if he drifted into melodramatic territory a few times with his selling and bumping. And then of course there had to be interference to cause a very screwed finish, but at least the crowd's massive excitement softened the blow a bit. **1/4. Hogan again showed how bad of a babyface he was by trying to steal Savage's thunder by parading around like an idiot in the post-match, rightfully causing Savage to cut a good, relatively serious and intense promo calling him out. If either guy could actually work then I'd be really interested in seeing Savage get his hands on Hogan, but oh well. Malenko vs Pillman was obviously unfairly short but still quite fun. There was good unhinged character work from Pillman, making up for Malenko's distinct lack of personality. Malenko's offence of course looked very good all around, as did Pillman's. Pillman's heel-selling was very energetic, making Malenko's attacks look even more impressive. They produced quite a few cool exchanges and spots with their strong chemistry, maintaining a good 'real fight' feel. A shame about the stupid finish, since the ref could clearly see Malenko's leg was tied up in the ropes to make any pinfall invalid, and the set-up getting to that spot was clumsy too. Still a fun match. ***. Harlem Heat vs Luger & Sting was pretty generic and not always too interesting, but still fine. Booker and Sting showed decent energy and some fine athleticism at points. Harlem Heat's control segment on Sting definitely lasted too long, but at least it made them look like a genuine threat and not something the babyfaces could easily brush off. Luger sneakily using the handful of coins from Hart to take out Booker and get the win before proceeding to happily celebrate with a surprised Sting was enjoyable for how dastardly it made Luger look, deceiving his upstanding best friend and partner Sting into thinking they had won fairly. The Sting and Luger storyline remains the most interesting drama on Nitro. **1/4. Hogan vs One Man Gang was the usual BS Hogan formula, making for another totally worthless match. Gang was dreadfully goofy to an insane level, somehow making Hogan look like Misawa by comparison. Hogan was still bad though, of course. Too short to rate. NR. Hogan and Savage fighting off the Horseman and the Dungeon was very boring -- the same thing we've seen many times before. Hogan and Savage also seemingly abandoning their interesting earlier tension in favour of banding together for a joint promo to hype up the Clash of the Champions show was disappointing.

:qqsay:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

starting to think wcw might not be good

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

starting to think wcw might not be good

Im sure we just need to give it another 40 or so episodes before it finally gets to the good parts.

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

It does not matter whether WCW is good or not. Namtab is taking us along on a historiographical journey into a very specific time and place. The land of the big boys and american males (w/ woman).

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
more and more they are being called the american fails.

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Gotta agree that the song is the best part of the team.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

WCW trying to get some good fashion to compete with TJPW

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Congrats to ghosthorse for winning the spin for April's ppv, I'm sure the pick will be made for something you want, and of your own free will.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

it had mike tenay and hogan lost (even if he mostly ruined it afterward) so this was better than all the nitros recently

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Namtab posted:

Congrats to ghosthorse for winning the spin for April's ppv, I'm sure the pick will be made for something you want, and of your own free will.

!rigged

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

Namtab posted:

not only is it something I want, no one made me! take that "democracy"! I'll be enjoying 666 while you grumble about your electoral dysfunction

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I have been completely brainwashed by joshis.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

super sweet best pal posted:

I have been completely brainwashed by joshis.

be sure to Respect the Bird

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Monday Nitro 29/01/96

Singles Match - Hulk Hogan (w/Debra McMichael, Linda Bollea, Miss Elizabeth & Woman) vs. Ric Flair (w/Jimmy Hart)
Tag Team Match - The Road Warriors (Road Warrior Animal & Road Warrior Hawk) vs. The Faces Of Fear (Meng & The Barbarian)
Singles Match - Sister Sherri vs. Madusa
WCW World Heavyweight Title Match - Randy Savage (w/Debra McMichael, Linda Bollea, Miss Elizabeth & Woman) (c) vs. The Giant

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Hogan got to ruin two matches

But Ric Flair got to lose his poo poo while having no idea how microphone or headsets work and hi-jacked the announcer desk

So who's to say if it was good or bad

The dog continues to be the highlight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

April Monthly Pick - 666 Hataage 20th Anniversary & Yuko Miyamoto Debut 20th Anniversary Show

Picked by: Ghosthorse

Ghosthorse picked this because snoozecruise told them to. I'm not sure what this is. There's a train belt. We'll find out if this is any good.

1. Battle Royal

2. Yasu Urano vs. Kunihiko Mitamega

3. Nene Dai & Takky Dai vs. Kohei Kinoshita & Yusuke Kodama

4. Hikari Noa & Pom Harajuku vs. Raku & Ram Kaicho

5. Jumbo Lee Burbridge, Kagura, Natsu Sumire & YANAGAWA vs. Banana Kaicho (Banana Senga), Ikuto Hidaka, Onryo & Rina Yamashita

6. Rebel X Enemy (Maika Ozaki & Maya Yukihi) (c) vs. Jun Masaoka & Ken vs. Dynasty & K666 (666 Locomotive Class Title Three Way Tag Team Match)

7. Jun Kasai, Ram Kaicho, Senpai & Yasu Urano vs. GENTARO, Guts Ishijima, Kunihiko Mitamega, Naoshi Sano & Yuiga (Five On Four Handicap Match)

8. Abdullah Kobayashi, Mayumi Ozaki & Yuko Miyamoto vs. Ryuya Kamishiro, Shinobu & Yuki Ishikawa

9. Konaka (c) vs. Koju Takeda (666 Chaos Undecided Freedom Title Match)