Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
This is probably a bad idea. Even though the derail was based on 'Man I tried to read some of her work and oh god was it horrible'.

My personal opinion: Ayn Rand had immense anger issues and badly needed therapy and medication. That didn't exist in her time, so she self-medicated by coming up with a philosophy instead. Really, besides all the usual things said about her, she really comes off as someone who can't stand the fact that her emotions can't be controlled and she'd rather have no emotions at all than the pain and rage she constantly felt. And it turns out that going around being angry all the time turns you into a piece of poo poo. Not a huge surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

chinatown is probed right now, so i'll step in

if i see ayn rand on the street imma slap the poo poo out of her

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Cornwind Evil posted:

This is probably a bad idea. Even though the derail was based on 'Man I tried to read some of her work and oh god was it horrible'.

My personal opinion: Ayn Rand had immense anger issues and badly needed therapy and medication. That didn't exist in her time, so she self-medicated by coming up with a philosophy instead. Really, besides all the usual things said about her, she really comes off as someone who can't stand the fact that her emotions can't be controlled and she'd rather have no emotions at all than the pain and rage she constantly felt. And it turns out that going around being angry all the time turns you into a piece of poo poo. Not a huge surprise.

I'm also angry all the time. Hell, made a thread about it yesterday. Ya know what I didn't do? Be the rear end in a top hat who invented Libertarianism. You know why? Because Ayn Rand beat me to it. Being a child as an adult sounds really cool until you are the child, or the adult. Anyway she sucks and I'm glad she's dead

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Bad Purchase posted:

She's been dead for like 41 years so it seems unlikely.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Rand is the name of money in South Africa!!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Rand is the name of money in South Africa!!

how is that not surprising and so surprising at the same time

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Reminder that Anton Levy said Satanism was just Objectivism with ritual

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Anus Rand

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Two bad books

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Miserable bitch
Writes like a SAD poster

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

i think that they are a bitch

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Chief McHeath posted:

i think that they are a bitch

it's ok to call Ayn Rand a she. I think she may be upset if call ...
You're right they are a bitch

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

My father told me to read Atlas Shrugged because it was somehow relevant. poo poo sucked and was not relevant.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
atlas shagged me baby yeah

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I've read and enjoyed the story "Harrison Bergeron", which I reckon is about all the familiarity with Objectivism I need

here's some info I didn't need, but since sharing is caring, you too may learn that part of what inspired Ms Rand to take up the quill was a botched extortion attempt that ended in a young girl's especially grisly murder, on the murderer's side. something about the murderer not, like, obeying society's rules, man, really lit a fire inside her heart--in an intellectual way, of course, which had nothing to do with him being somewhat traditionally attractive as well as a sociopath

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I am going to dig up her body and hold it to account it many sins.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Died alone smelling like an ashtray full of cancer

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

I liked that one song from her musical that Tatum sampled in his hip hop chart breaker.
It's a hard cock life for us!
It's a hard cock life for us!
Don't want to beat no bees,
It's fuggin tra-ged-dy!
It's a hard cock life.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
It would have been pretty cool if ayn rand had fallen in a well at some point. And then died.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

ZeusCannon posted:

It would have been pretty cool if ayn rand had fallen in a well at some point. And then died.

Well she didn't fall in a well but I have good news.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I have bad news about her two books, though, they suck poo poo

Lowparts
Dec 23, 2015
Her foundation sends me books at work every spring to entice me to order a class set.
It's the only book I'm okay with burning

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Ham Grand

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Hollismason posted:

She's been dead for like 41 years so it seems unlikely.

more like Aym Dead

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

I said in the GBS chud politics thread that I think a bunch of olds are Ayn Rand people because it got assigned as reading to me and a bunch of other people. I had to read Anthem and the Fountainhead in high school, write papers on them, and the correct essay format was "this is great literature and America loving owns", and a lot of Ayn Rand's success was being assigned reading as part of an anti-communist cold war curriculum. So if anyone who got probed for responding wants to discuss still feel free.

Then I got probed.

Look at this guy throat this glizzy:

He's the fuckin' GOAT.

I'm just gonna post politics poo poo in this thread instead.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

people who want to talk about ayn rand or her ‘ideas’ should be disregarded

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Finally! The thread I've been waiting for! I can't stop talking about Ayn Rand! I'm living my life by her myopic principals!!

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

more like an bad

writer

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I read Atlas Shrugged right up to somewhere in the middle of the John Galt speech, skipped ahead and found out there were something like 200 more pages to the speech alone, closed the book, and then tossed it into the sea.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I'll check out her books OP. Sounds like she might have some interesting and innovative ideas that I could base my life around.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Anus Rand

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I hate Rand so much! I hate her the most out of everyone!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Tayn Rand

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Would have absolutely taken her to pound town like no doubt rearranging those guts

But yeah writing was not so good

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I'm also angry all the time. Hell, made a thread about it yesterday. Ya know what I didn't do? Be the rear end in a top hat who invented Libertarianism. You know why? Because Ayn Rand beat me to it. Being a child as an adult sounds really cool until you are the child, or the adult. Anyway she sucks and I'm glad she's dead

True, but you were angry all the time in your timeframe and circumstances.

If Ayn Rand had been born 50 years earlier or later, she wouldn't have invented Libertarianism either. Which she technically didn't do. Her philosophy was Objectivism, though it's probably an alligator/crocodile situation. And the spellcheck doesn't recognize the word objectivism, which probably says it all.

SatansOnion posted:

here's some info I didn't need, but since sharing is caring, you too may learn that part of what inspired Ms Rand to take up the quill was a botched extortion attempt that ended in a young girl's especially grisly murder, on the murderer's side. something about the murderer not, like, obeying society's rules, man, really lit a fire inside her heart--in an intellectual way, of course, which had nothing to do with him being somewhat traditionally attractive as well as a sociopath

Rand really reads like the classic case of someone who got raised with a boot on their necks and learned the lesson of 'Be the one with the boot on the necks instead of stopping that from happening',

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Just call me big daddy cause I'm drilling my way into this thread. This is a thread about Bioshock right? That was a neato game.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Bad Purchase posted:

vry interesting

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

lol that one of her little fuckbuddies got to be chair of the Federal Reserve from '87 to '06

Objectivism worked out real well for the U.S. economy

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

drilldo squirt posted:

I am going to dig up her body and hold it to account it many sins.

go full cadaver synod on it, but instead of a trial we just piss on her corpse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

theres an auto body shop in east portland with a huge "who is john galt" painted on the wall