Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hazed glam
Jun 11, 2018
:goatsecx:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

SatansOnion posted:

I've read and enjoyed the story "Harrison Bergeron", which I reckon is about all the familiarity with Objectivism I need

Ok so I'm not the only one who interpreted it as an objectivist tract, good.

Whether or not Kurt Vonnegut wanted me to feel bad about the Randian superman being brought down by the big bad equality enforcing government, it doesn't change the fact that he made that idea look really stupid. So, good job I guess.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
"Objectivism," I scream into the night. "Objectivisim," I yell straining my lungs. "I want to gently caress Ayn Rand!" I scream with my last breath.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Any Rand’s fiction books take place in a world where no one is ever sick or infirm, a child, or otherwise needs assistance from anyone for any reason other than “they’re a lazy POS who thinks ‘emotions’ matter!”

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

lol people read Harrison Bergeron as an Objectivist tract?

For real?

Kurt Vonnegut's Harrison Bergeron?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I was fortunate; The Fountainhead was required reading for one of my college courses, but I crippled myself like a few days beforehand and was loopy out of my mind on painkillers while reading it. I don't know how else you could get through that.

Also she collected social security when she got old enough. So much for taking a principled stance.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

MrQwerty posted:

lol people read Harrison Bergeron as an Objectivist tract?

For real?

Kurt Vonnegut's Harrison Bergeron?

In a world where smart people are governmentally induced to wear distraction-causing headphones to keep them from thinking...a superior human goes Super Saiyan on live TV

astute readers: hmm, this is clearly a serious and sincere presentation of the author's political beliefs :thunkin:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Kurt Vonnegut, the guy who survived his own country trying to firebomb him to death, that guy's satire of Objectivism is an Objectivist tract?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

It's an interesting thought experiment, why do we select the books we select to be "important".

The only reason I read Rand's books were that they were "important". So I read them. They were crap.

But the fascination with them remains, only because of how they are not just books, stories, works of fiction, but they've become political totems. Another sign of political tribal identity.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

redshirt posted:

It's an interesting thought experiment, why do we select the books we select to be "important".

The only reason I read Rand's books were that they were "important". So I read them. They were crap.

But the fascination with them remains, only because of how they are not just books, stories, works of fiction, but they've become political totems. Another sign of political tribal identity.

tell us more, cultural commentator

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

git apologist posted:

tell us more, cultural commentator

*packs pipe, tamps it down

You see, it started with the first gathering around the fire. Fire, the first form of mass entertainment!

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Auld Lang Syne Rand

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Randy An(n)

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

redshirt posted:

*packs pipe, tamps it down

You see, it started with the first gathering around the fire. Fire, the first form of mass entertainment!

Neanderthal man would host fire parties where all members of the group stuck their hands in the fire and whoever could keep theirs in the longest won.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

emSparkly posted:

Neanderthal man would host fire parties where all members of the group stuck their hands in the fire and whoever could keep theirs in the longest won.

hands?

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

https://youtu.be/zN6JV2GXyvg

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

emSparkly posted:

Ok so I'm not the only one who interpreted it as an objectivist tract, good.

Whether or not Kurt Vonnegut wanted me to feel bad about the Randian superman being brought down by the big bad equality enforcing government, it doesn't change the fact that he made that idea look really stupid. So, good job I guess.

Eh, plenty of people have been fooled by Humbert Humbert in Lolita as well. Writing tweaks and avoids certain parts of the brain unless you're paying attention.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
did anyone say "Ayn BLAND" yet

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

Any idiot what reads books should be torn apart by aminals

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Henry Lee Mucus posted:

Any idiot what reads books should be torn apart by aminals

I'll protect the Book Readers! Behind me, nerds!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I only read one of her books Anthem and it was the lamest panickiest wannabe parable bullshit I've ever read. The Left Behind book series seemed measured in comparison.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

Cornwind Evil posted:

Eh, plenty of people have been fooled by Humbert Humbert in Lolita as well. Writing tweaks and avoids certain parts of the brain unless you're paying attention.

I read the story back in like 8th grade and don't know much else of Vonnegut's character or works other than he was the guy who wrote Slaughterhouse Five. I appreciate seeing the interpretation of it that I hadn't considered all this time.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

"He gazed up at the enormous face. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the dark moustache. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.”

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

Uh you cant cry booze. People actually read this poo poo?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Henry Lee Mucus posted:

Uh you cant cry booze. People actually read this poo poo?

That's how drunk he was bro. He was literally crying gin.

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

Cornwind Evil posted:

True, but you were angry all the time in your timeframe and circumstances.

If Ayn Rand had been born 50 years earlier or later, she wouldn't have invented Libertarianism either. Which she technically didn't do. Her philosophy was Objectivism, though it's probably an alligator/crocodile situation. And the spellcheck doesn't recognize the word objectivism, which probably says it all.
There's been a lot of cross-pollination over the years since they both come to the same conclusions from slightly different directions, but (at least when Rand was still alive) back in the day libertarians and Objectivists hated each other. The OG Austrian School guys thought Rand was a hack novelist turned creepy cult leader, and Rand thought the libertarians would collapse into Irrationality for liking the wrong music and poo poo. You can dig some of this up where they snipe at each other and it's really funny in a "let them fight" sort of way.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I went to a wedding of a friend.. I knew he was well off, but not how well off. He then married some woman from Atlanta who had a huge rich family. The reception was insane and easily beyond anything I've ever experienced in terms of sheer wealth and waste.

Anyway, their wedding vows were in large part ayn rand quotes lololol.

I kind of cracked up when they started and got some stares for being rude.

LMAO

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 5, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

A punchup at a wedding - Radiohead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DWP6a25iJI

110523_2
Nov 5, 2023
ayn rand, the historical 7 person committee, meeting at barnes and noble this saturday

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
objectivists are like "everyone should be pursuing their own selfish interests without regard for morality" until you threaten them with a weapon and demand their money then they're like "you're crazy!" and "someone help me!"

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

there used to be a ton of these in a big twitter thread, but i don't have an account anymore so no idea if they're all still around, but here's one

https://twitter.com/NoChorus/status/1028367700941303808

e: probably from this, start around 1m in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pevgyB12RMQ&t=62s

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 5, 2023

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

redshirt posted:

ouch!

110523_2
Nov 5, 2023
who is john galt?!?!? anyone remember??!???

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

redshirt posted:

Sounds like a man who needs some addictions counselling to me op

110523_2
Nov 5, 2023
motherfucker needs some mental healthcare

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

110523_2 posted:

who is john galt?!?!? anyone remember??!???

some sort of semi-magical sewer goblin from the russian lord of the rings ripoff pretty sure.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Jong Alt had high emotional and social intelligence, struck a great balance between work/play/charity and had many fulfilling relationships with family, friends, and colleagues in a robust social web that provided mutual benefit and support to those in it.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

Was that from the 3 part Atlas Shrugged movie disaster? The one that kept running out of money and might have recast everyone in the last entry? I remember seeing a video essay about it.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Jong Alt had high emotional and social intelligence, struck a great balance between work/play/charity and had many fulfilling relationships with family, friends, and colleagues in a robust social web that provided mutual benefit and support to those in it.

kim jong alt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Nooner posted:

Would have absolutely taken her to pound town like no doubt rearranging those guts

But yeah writing was not so good

It is a matter of record that she smelled like cat piss and cigarettes.