Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There's also the original dub of the three MSG movies, with Gun-drat, British Bright, and Steve Blum as Char

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
When I was going through my Ghost in the Shell SAC rewatch it really dawned on me how good that dub is. There really isn't anyone I'd recast. 2nd Gig got even better.

I also saw the dubbed version of the Laughing Man compilation film that Ocean worked on. David Kaye's version of Batou is uncanny in how similar he plays it to Epcar.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

stuff i find interesting with dubs is when theres lost or unaired pilots/pitches. like apparently a bunch of random precure series had dubs attempted for one or two episodes before Glitter Force happened (and then no more dubs after that)

One of the more amusing things is they pitched Yes for this and the pitch Video is on YouTube still. Plus also they designed the buildings to be more western to make it easier to dub which is why you have the awkward look for Brownstone buildings in Japan

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Dubs gave us this gem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuPU2EYqXbo

Regarding what I consider good dubs: I think the original non-Netflix dub of Neon Genesis Evangelion was good, Steins;Gate was really good, Monster was good aside from goony Lunge, Pluto was great

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Arist posted:

If you're anything like me, you wish there was a space in ADTRW to talk about dubs and dub voice actors. Well, now there is! Finally, we can have riveting conversations like:
  • Why are all the Sentai Filmworks dubs so bad?
The Book of Bantorra is a very good Sentai dub.
BanG Dream! S2 is passable and I give them props for getting a different voice actor for all 31 main characters and it's a shame they didn't continue on to dub S3.

But man, they really whiffed it on Revue Starlight.

I mostly watch dubs as my rewatch for a series, except in nostalgia cases like Slayers and the various Tenchi series.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I do love that the D4DJ dub has Maho played by her Japanese Seiyuu cause she's fluent in English and they made it a plot for a season 2 episode

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

While we're throwing names out there I'm sad of how Mix season 2 didn't get a dub. I remember when that first season came out, Funimation had a simuldub going on that almost kept up with the Japanese airing. I was real impressed at how it captured the cadence of a Mitsuru Adachi series in a way that made sense in English, wound up being one of my favorite dubs in awhile.

I was hoping that season 2 would get a dub to give me a great excuse to rewatch episodes while it was airing, but alas.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Like I said, Sentai's dub for Vinland Saga S1 is really drat good. I like Kirk Thornton just fine but when it comes to Askeladd I really think David Wald's raspy voice works for the character.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDjePCCgNSw

A lot of times they miss but when they hit it's great.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol I forgot about this, that clip should play every time you open adtrw

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Like I said, Sentai's dub for Vinland Saga S1 is really drat good. I like Kirk Thornton just fine but when it comes to Askeladd I really think David Wald's raspy voice works for the character.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDjePCCgNSw

A lot of times they miss but when they hit it's great.

Kirk Thornton is good but I agree Sentai really comes out with the superior output here

If you search my name and that fucker Kaiji Tang (who is in the Netflix dub) ive said it a million times, but he just flat out loving sucks, his voice is so wack, he sounds like the gooniest fuckin dweeb trying way too hard to sound tough in all his roles

He was trash as Kenshiro in the FOTNS Musou, he was trash as Guts in the trash Berserk 2016 adaptation, dude is just so distractingly bad

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

*bravely* I love Kaiji Tang

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Speaking of Berserk it also has a great dub and they kill Goku.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

For real though, Tang's got a good voice. He's good in more hard-boiled roles because there's a natural gravel there but I think he really shines when he gets to take advantage of how inviting and jovial he can sound.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

Speaking of Berserk it also has a great dub and they kill Goku.

The original dub had Carrie Keranen as Casca and she's just the nicest person. Practice as Trails of Cold Steel's Sara Valstein prepped her for the role of alkie caregiver with Misato in the Eva re-dub (which was... oof).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Arist posted:

For real though, Tang's got a good voice. He's good in more hard-boiled roles because there's a natural gravel there but I think he really shines when he gets to take advantage of how inviting and jovial he can sound.

I love Ichiban Kasuga

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Arist posted:

*bravely* I love Kaiji Tang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRHjY0ayQ4M

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone catch the Pluto adaptation on Netflix? Pretty standard crew of anime VAs, decent enough performances, and one badly translated kid's song, but uh they did spring for Keith motherfucking David for Dr. Tenma. . I didn't see it coming and it was delightful.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sloth Socks posted:

Anyone catch the Pluto adaptation on Netflix? Pretty standard crew of anime VAs, decent enough performances, and one badly translated kid's song, but uh they did spring for Keith motherfucking David for Dr. Tenma. . I didn't see it coming and it was delightful.

Always love seeing 'real' actors in anime roles. I remember how hard they pushed the little-remembered sequel to Armitage III, Dual-Matrix with Kiefer Sutherland and Juliette Lewis in the leads. The original had Elizabeth Berkley! (Were they any good? No. Voice acting is a skill.) Then there's Macross Plus which is remembered entirely for the soundtrack but it had Bryan Cranston in the lead.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
what's the best dub specific op. Imo it's the one from the Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's dub

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Shaman King's.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ultimate Muscle English OP

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean Pokemon

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Digimon! Digital Monsters! Digimon are the Champions!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

no contest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq6POolOHho

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I forgot a lot of the ones I liked for One Piece were sung by sex pest Vic Mignogna. Oh well. Funi stopped doing it by at least Brand New World anyway.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

I have a ton of nostalgia for the version we got in the UK, though Rock the Dragon is better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYonuNZB0vA

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Yu Yu Hakusho is better dubbed

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

surprised there's been no mention of chainsaw man's yet

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's pretty good. I like when Denji says a Testicle Devil went apeshit on Aki's nutsack

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Regalingualius posted:

surprised there's been no mention of chainsaw man's yet

Is it that good? I mean, I'm not surprised. Most dubs now are honestly at least 'fine.'

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Power's dub is great and I prefer dub Future Devil.

e: And oh my God, dub Kobeni.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
hope bryn apprill had a supply of lozenges handy

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Das Boo posted:

Power's dub is great and I prefer dub Future Devil.

e: And oh my God, dub Kobeni.

I KNOW WHAT YOU AAAAAAAARE

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Cromartie High School's dub is incredible and im sad it was cursed to be on g4 instead of adult swim where it clearly belonged to get more exposure

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Good soup! posted:

Cromartie High School's dub is incredible and im sad it was cursed to be on g4 instead of adult swim where it clearly belonged to get more exposure

Maeda's being bit by a horse!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

That happens all the time...

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Good soup! posted:

Yu Yu Hakusho is better dubbed

it's true, it gave us this version of jin

https://youtu.be/VW-1Jg2X6s4

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I remember coming across the El-Hazard OVA dub and how amazing it was in a time when this was not normally the case let's say. It's even a master class of localization since the main villain has five sidekicks that in the original are named after Japanese comedians people outside of Japan aren't going to know so in the dub he names them after the Marx brothers.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Kiryu kazuma voiced by a youtuber ... yet another L for yakuza dub enjoyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It really is like a tremendous miscast.