Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Dongicus posted:

Kiryu kazuma voiced by a youtuber ... yet another L for yakuza dub enjoyers.

lol what the gently caress, why did they think that was a good idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hajime no Ippo absolutely deserves a better dub, as the original script is something you could have tons of fun with adapting

Also some better direction and a bit more emotion would be nice because there are tons of scenes where characters may be muttering to themselves, or talking close to a whisper, and in the dub EVERYONE IS ALWAYS TALKING LIKE THIS WITHOUT ANY SENSE OF NUANCE AND IT GETS OLD FAST and it still finds ways to fall completely flat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZtYFsGVu28

E: I also highly recommend people watch the William Winckler Productions dub of the Fist of the North Star saga movies because it's an experience

https://archive.org/details/fist-of-the-north-star-william-winckler-prod.-dub-cold-fusion-web-dl-856x-480-h-264-aac

Good soup! fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 10, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Good soup! posted:

Hajime no Ippo absolutely deserves a better dub, as the original script is something you could have tons of fun with adapting

I wish sports anime did better overseas.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

It really is like a tremendous miscast.

It’s cool that they want Asian actors to play the MCs of the LAD game dubs, but also just get Keith David, please just hire Keith David, his voice isn’t even that far off from Kuroda.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Last Celebration posted:

It’s cool that they want Asian actors to play the MCs of the LAD game dubs, but also just get Keith David, please just hire Keith David, his voice isn’t even that far off from Kuroda.

Yeah. Like getting Lily Gao for Ada. The idea is sound and of course the poor woman did not deserve to be bullied off social media but I don't know how they were directing her.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Watching the subbed version of Edgerunners feels wrong

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bro Dad posted:

Who the gently caress are you?

The level of sheer venom in every Smasher line in the dub can't be matched.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Nov 10, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dongicus posted:

Kiryu kazuma voiced by a youtuber ... yet another L for yakuza dub enjoyers.

https://twitter.com/2005Dojima/status/1722682342597333124?t=iaAMHzIDUTPXez6IrEk-Pw&s=19

Oh wow you weren't kidding. Yong Yea what are you doing, man.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So uh...was there no one else or what?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's not even that he's an inherently bad voice actor, he was perfectly fine as Pucci in Jojo

He's just not Kiryu

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

It's not even that he's an inherently bad voice actor, he was perfectly fine as Pucci in Jojo

He's just not Kiryu

Wait for real? He was pretty good as Pucci, what the hell

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

He's just been cast grossly outside of his range and considering this is like his second major voice role I think it's really gonna hurt his career

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm not really gonna fault Yong that much. Yes it does sound bad, but a jobs a job and nobody is going to turn down a chance like his when it's offered to them. The casting crew should take more heat for having the final say, and I'd have to listen to more of the game to determine if it's an outlier of miscasting or if everyone sounds bad because the English audio production didn't give a poo poo

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The dub for 7 was really good, and it's not like Yong's performance (outside of not being able to sing) is bad in a vacuum.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
On other topics. You know who doesn't get enough credit? Patrick Seitz. He's rarely cast in leading roles but he's usually excellent barring some exceptions (My Senpai is Annoying he just sounded off). If you need a guy with a deep voice he's your man but that doesn't stop him from having quite a good range. Recently he killed it as Handler Walter in Armored Core and he oversaw the dub for Pluto.

For me though, anyone who can pull off an Ork voice is golden. Kaptin Bludflagg is a treasure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0vDQWMJNbE

Other great anime dubbers doing Orks include all three Dobson brothers, Keith Ferguson, Brian Drummond, Alan Shearman, Robin Atkin Downes and of course Scott McNeill. If you can do an Ork, I'm gonna like you in most roles.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 10, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

On other topics. You know who doesn't get enough credit? Patrick Seitz. He's rarely cast in leading roles but he's usually excellent barring some exceptions (My Senpai is Annoying he just sounded off). If you need a guy with a deep voice he's your man but that doesn't stop him from having quite a good range. Recently he killed it as Handler Walter in Armored Core and he oversaw the dub for Pluto.

I really like him as Franky in One Piece, too. Honestly all of OP's dub cast is good. Many are happy that they basically just do their normal voices like Sabat and Eric Vale and then you have Sonny Strait as Usopp who basically lives off lozenges.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbh his Franky is one of the few things of him I’m not fond of from the clips I’ve seen, it just sounds kinda…surly? Like they told him to sound almost mean in Water 7 since he starts off as a bad guy and never told him to dial it back when he’s a good guy. Dude is generally pretty great though, especially at voice direction, which feels like a super underrated part of dubs along with script adaptation.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I just wanna say

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51Gb150HtSo

Greg Chun as Kaname Date is a treasure

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Last Celebration posted:

Tbh his Franky is one of the few things of him I’m not fond of from the clips I’ve seen, it just sounds kinda…surly? Like they told him to sound almost mean in Water 7 since he starts off as a bad guy and never told him to dial it back when he’s a good guy. Dude is generally pretty great though, especially at voice direction, which feels like a super underrated part of dubs along with script adaptation.

Nah, once he gets further on down the line he switches to more enthusiastic.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Angel Cop has one of my favorite lines in a dub

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAutfQ-Clfk

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ian sinclair made a great brook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-XrB5VJ20g

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

His version of Binks' Brew is amazing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm pretty sure Ian would burst into song in every anime given the chance. He also completely sells the Otterly Sexy song from Sarazanmai.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Bro Dad posted:

that's because it is wrong. the subtitles are the english script so the japanese audio doesn't even match what we're reading

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Don't Netflix shows have two sets of English subtitles, one CC for the dub and one translation for the Japanese

I remember this came up when Squid Game was out and some person embarrassed themselves by going on a tear about the CC subs not realizing there was another set

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Edgerunners has onscreen subtitles for dialogue over the phone that matches the English script

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah I'm pretty sure the show was originally written in English anyway

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah the onscreen dialogue and signage is in English and the holo-calls are in English because regardless of the audio track they're still in California.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If you want to talk dubs you can't go wrong with Tony Oliver Lupin. The rest of his crew is also really good.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

If you want to talk dubs you can't go wrong with Tony Oliver Lupin. The rest of his crew is also really good.

Yeah, Sonny Strait is a good VA of course but his Lupin feels a little off, especially in the more serious Lupin varieties like The Woman Called Fujiko Mine.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What are your thoughts on celebrity voiceovers? I tend to be skeptical of them unless the actors in question have an established track record in voice acting. Someone like Mark Hamill or Keith David showing up I'm fine with but other times I raise my eyebrows.

To me it feels like an extension of the 90s shift in Disney films to use celebrity voices as a selling point regardless of how good the performance actually is. Appropriate considering Disney's association with many of the Ghibli dubs which are the frontrunners for grabbing a celebrity and tossing them into an anime with varying degrees of success.

It can be especially jarring when you fill out the rest of your cast with industry staples. Steamboy has an overall excellent dub with Patrick Stewart and Alfred Molina going full ham with Manchester accents but then you've got Anna Paquin trying and failing to sound like a ten year old English boy.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 14, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mean, this is gonna be a weak answer, but it works if the celebrity can voice act, you know? Having a recognizable voice certainly helps but knowing how to properly project your voice and sound good is gonna be the thing that matters.

When I watched Weathering with You, Alison Brie sounded really good and Lee Pace was fantastic, but Riz Ahmed, who is a good actor, sounded flat and almost bored. I don't think he was intentionally phoning it in, and "flat" wasn't the worst choice for his character, but he couldn't project the vocal strength to back it up and it unmoored the performance.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm surprised Riz Ahmed was poor in that one. I thought he sounded pretty good in Nimona and could lend himself well to voiceover.

I just consider some casting choices for celebrities to be weird and down to name recognition more than to find a fit for the role. Going back to Ghibli Billy Crudup and Claire Danes aren't exactly bad as Ashitaka and San in Princess Mononoke but they're vastly outperformed by Keith David, Billy Bob Thornton and John DiMaggio. Sometimes it feels like a celebrity casting is good by accident rather than by intent.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 14, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think he might have just been miscast, honestly. Part of his appeal as an actor is that he's very good at underplaying scenes. He's not a big, grandiose actor's actor, is what I'm saying. He's more... quiet and reserved, I guess? He's good, but it makes him the wrong choice for a hardass cop trying to catch the protagonist.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Robert Pattinson is unleashing a power we had never imagined as the Gray Heron and I need to see him do more voiceover.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The Ghibli dubs have been pretty successful IMO, Billy Crystal as Calcifer is great, Michael Keaton in Porco Rosso, etc., but then you get Billy Bob Thornton as Jigo and it just doesn't work

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Not anime per se, but I always thought Dean Stockwell in "Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker" was pretty awful.

Half of any good performance is the actor and the other half is the director.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
drat that WAS Dean Stockwell wasn't it? It's been years since I've watched that movie and well before I'd clued into the fact I'd seen Dean Stockwell absolutely everywhere without knowing his name.

Yeah he was pretty flat as old Tim Drake while going up against Hamill at his absolute peak Joker voice.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I appreciate Sara Ragsdale's turn as Shizuku in 100 Girlfriends. I imagine its very hard to nail non-verbal characters well with the obvious limitations that has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Maybe controversial but Sean Schemmel's voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me and I cannot stand the Funimation DBZ dub because of it. Everything about the Funimation Dragonball dub on the other hand is literally perfect in every single way, until Goku spends three years training and comes back with Sean Schemmel's voice. DBZA Goku easily takes top spot and it isn't even close.