Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The first Lupin movie (Mystery of Mamo) is real fascinating dub-wise in that it got 4 different English dubs. The first of which was a dub only intended to be shown as an in-flight movie on Japan Airlines, and of course one of the dubs uses the voice cast that were in the Part 2 tv show dub.

I'm usually not wild about Lupin dubs, though I do find it an interesting piece of history. It's rare enough to see something get two different dubs, never mind twice that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Good soup! posted:

Also the later dub going with a George Bush Jr. impression for the President when Jigen/Goemon hear the recording between him and Mamo, lol wtf

Yeah it's real jarring when the president also has henchmen that are absolutely meant to be prominent 70s political figures, like how one of them is undoubtedly based on Kissinger.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

While we're throwing names out there I'm sad of how Mix season 2 didn't get a dub. I remember when that first season came out, Funimation had a simuldub going on that almost kept up with the Japanese airing. I was real impressed at how it captured the cadence of a Mitsuru Adachi series in a way that made sense in English, wound up being one of my favorite dubs in awhile.

I was hoping that season 2 would get a dub to give me a great excuse to rewatch episodes while it was airing, but alas.