Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If you're anything like me, you wish there was a space in ADTRW to talk about dubs and dub voice actors. Well, now there is! Finally, we can have riveting conversations like:
  • The Cowboy Bebop dub is pretty good, isn't it?
  • Why are all the Sentai Filmworks dubs so bad?
  • The Kaguya-sama narrator is an affront to god and man and Ian Sinclair will pay
  • The same tired, circular argument about whether dubs should even exist and their inherent inferiority, both moral and objective, to subs
  • No seriously, why are all the Sentai dubs so bad?
In all seriousness, I think it'd be nice to have a place to talk about dubs versus the original subs without it turning into, you know, dubs vs. subs. And even if it does turn into that, well, at least we're not having that conversation in the chat thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Favorite dub of all time, personally, is probably Steins;Gate. I'll admit it has some issues (certain aspects of certain characters, mainly Kurisu, aren't captured quite as well as in the sub; the script has a lot of now-dated references and can be a little overly florid and dense, making it hard for a new viewer to parse), but I still love it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

*bravely* I love Kaiji Tang

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

For real though, Tang's got a good voice. He's good in more hard-boiled roles because there's a natural gravel there but I think he really shines when he gets to take advantage of how inviting and jovial he can sound.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's pretty good. I like when Denji says a Testicle Devil went apeshit on Aki's nutsack

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Edgerunners has onscreen subtitles for dialogue over the phone that matches the English script

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mean, this is gonna be a weak answer, but it works if the celebrity can voice act, you know? Having a recognizable voice certainly helps but knowing how to properly project your voice and sound good is gonna be the thing that matters.

When I watched Weathering with You, Alison Brie sounded really good and Lee Pace was fantastic, but Riz Ahmed, who is a good actor, sounded flat and almost bored. I don't think he was intentionally phoning it in, and "flat" wasn't the worst choice for his character, but he couldn't project the vocal strength to back it up and it unmoored the performance.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think he might have just been miscast, honestly. Part of his appeal as an actor is that he's very good at underplaying scenes. He's not a big, grandiose actor's actor, is what I'm saying. He's more... quiet and reserved, I guess? He's good, but it makes him the wrong choice for a hardass cop trying to catch the protagonist.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Delicious in Dungeon is very good, yes. I think all of the main four are doing a bang-up job. Rudd and Damien Haas (Laios) are both pretty new to the VA scene (obviously, in Rudd's case) from what I can tell so I'm glad they're acquitting themselves.

Besides that, I've been watching Undead Unluck, the dub of which is totally passable. The main reason I bring it up is that language is relatively important in some scenes, with characters usually speaking English diegetically, and the dub handles situations where translation matters amazingly:

https://twitter.com/ctlovesanime/status/1762896347764809818

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Seems to be Bang Zoom. They don't seem to have an in-house dubbing studio, no. Though on that note, when I watched Summer Time Rendering on Hulu, that show used Roundabout Studios and they cast every single character with an Asian actor, which was kinda neat (though it did end up spoiling who the villain would be, because he was one of like two actors I recognized).