Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Outlaw Star's dub does still rule, can confirm. Bob Buchholz does this great line read for Gene after Aisha tries to turn into her tiger form and realizes that they're on a asteroid and has no moon so it doesn't work with: "Idiot. NOW RUN!"

Unrelated it's also true Sentai seems to have the same direction philosophy that ADV had which is mostly "louder."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Good soup! posted:

I said it in the Gundam thread but I'll always be sad that the series didn't quite find it's footing in the US after Wing hit it big, because IIRC that affected the dub for Zeta, though the actors strike at the time certainly didn't help. Ocean went with their budget studio, Blue Water, and while it's not a terrible dub despite its reputation (for some reason??), it definitely shows in some of the supporting cast. They did well to find actors who sounded like their Ocean counterparts--imo the guy playing Amuro is an OK take on Brad Swaile's voice and voice of Char isn't as smooth as Michael Kopsa's but is still quite good.

Ocean Group really does feel like feast or famine. Sometimes you get Black Lagoon! Sometimes you do... not.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

Speaking of Berserk it also has a great dub and they kill Goku.

The original dub had Carrie Keranen as Casca and she's just the nicest person. Practice as Trails of Cold Steel's Sara Valstein prepped her for the role of alkie caregiver with Misato in the Eva re-dub (which was... oof).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sloth Socks posted:

Anyone catch the Pluto adaptation on Netflix? Pretty standard crew of anime VAs, decent enough performances, and one badly translated kid's song, but uh they did spring for Keith motherfucking David for Dr. Tenma. . I didn't see it coming and it was delightful.

Always love seeing 'real' actors in anime roles. I remember how hard they pushed the little-remembered sequel to Armitage III, Dual-Matrix with Kiefer Sutherland and Juliette Lewis in the leads. The original had Elizabeth Berkley! (Were they any good? No. Voice acting is a skill.) Then there's Macross Plus which is remembered entirely for the soundtrack but it had Bryan Cranston in the lead.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I forgot a lot of the ones I liked for One Piece were sung by sex pest Vic Mignogna. Oh well. Funi stopped doing it by at least Brand New World anyway.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Regalingualius posted:

surprised there's been no mention of chainsaw man's yet

Is it that good? I mean, I'm not surprised. Most dubs now are honestly at least 'fine.'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I remember coming across the El-Hazard OVA dub and how amazing it was in a time when this was not normally the case let's say. It's even a master class of localization since the main villain has five sidekicks that in the original are named after Japanese comedians people outside of Japan aren't going to know so in the dub he names them after the Marx brothers.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Good soup! posted:

Hajime no Ippo absolutely deserves a better dub, as the original script is something you could have tons of fun with adapting

I wish sports anime did better overseas.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Last Celebration posted:

It’s cool that they want Asian actors to play the MCs of the LAD game dubs, but also just get Keith David, please just hire Keith David, his voice isn’t even that far off from Kuroda.

Yeah. Like getting Lily Gao for Ada. The idea is sound and of course the poor woman did not deserve to be bullied off social media but I don't know how they were directing her.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

On other topics. You know who doesn't get enough credit? Patrick Seitz. He's rarely cast in leading roles but he's usually excellent barring some exceptions (My Senpai is Annoying he just sounded off). If you need a guy with a deep voice he's your man but that doesn't stop him from having quite a good range. Recently he killed it as Handler Walter in Armored Core and he oversaw the dub for Pluto.

I really like him as Franky in One Piece, too. Honestly all of OP's dub cast is good. Many are happy that they basically just do their normal voices like Sabat and Eric Vale and then you have Sonny Strait as Usopp who basically lives off lozenges.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Last Celebration posted:

Tbh his Franky is one of the few things of him I’m not fond of from the clips I’ve seen, it just sounds kinda…surly? Like they told him to sound almost mean in Water 7 since he starts off as a bad guy and never told him to dial it back when he’s a good guy. Dude is generally pretty great though, especially at voice direction, which feels like a super underrated part of dubs along with script adaptation.

Nah, once he gets further on down the line he switches to more enthusiastic.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

His version of Binks' Brew is amazing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

If you want to talk dubs you can't go wrong with Tony Oliver Lupin. The rest of his crew is also really good.

Yeah, Sonny Strait is a good VA of course but his Lupin feels a little off, especially in the more serious Lupin varieties like The Woman Called Fujiko Mine.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sean Schemmel's apparently kind of a jerk in person so it's not even "but he's a nice guy." Certainly not on the level of some Other ex-Funi VAs, just, well, kind of a jerk is the best way to put it I guess.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

It's also funny because he had a small role on like two episodes of Paw Patrol and since it was a union job, it paid him way more than he had earned in his entire stint as Goku

Yeah, some folks definitely abuse Texas being a right to work state. If you want to be a voice actor and just a voice actor you eventually leave Texas like Laura Bailey, Travis Willingham, etc. or you do other stuff like direct and script adaptations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wow. Respect to Steve Blum working at the place that made Re-Animator and Ghoulies.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The latest Naruto game's dub is like this:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/-8a-Vd8_XwI

Weird, right? It absolutely sounds like CC2 used AI to just cut and paste the spoken words and Maile Flanagan has already said that is not how she recorded it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CC2 said the Naruto thing was just an accident in editing and mastering. https://www.ign.com/articles/bandai-namco-working-to-fix-voice-over-issues-in-naruto-x-boruto-ultimate-ninja-storm-connections

Not sure how that works since it literally sounds like they smashed two different lines from Flanagan together but okay, I guess.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SungWon Cho getting the dream job of not having to match mouth flaps with Senshi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

You know that came from a real encounter, which makes it funnier but also kinda sad.

https://twitter.com/DanielVanThomas/status/1777462412263776707