Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

smarxist posted:

give in to your urges and drop some bombs on this thread full of children op

lol

Go on, flame me for my horrible snype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

exmarx posted:

greetings. how come you posted the short version ?

wampalord posted:

Hello, posters of C-SPAM!

Based on all the recent events, I am stepping down as IK.

Before I do, I would like to make one effort post about my thoughts about the whole situation. I apologize in advance if this all seems long winded and hyperbolic, but also I know I have earned a lot of goodwill from many posters here and would like to address the community with the best and fullest explanation I can muster.

I tried as hard as I possibly could to fight for this community and make the mods/admins see sense. And while I deeply regret that so many posters have lost faith in the forums (and I 100% understand why they have) I at least feel like I can walk away with my head held high, knowing I went out swinging for the fences.

The PPJ saga or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Mods

I think something that has been lost in the time since all of this occurred is the loving scope and stupidity of this entire situation and loving poorly it was managed all around. PPJ throwing himself on the sword and getting permabanned before he could fully explain the situation or actually, you know, apologize, also poured gasoline on this fire. The re-opening of QCS was also a mistake as it allowed many posters with clear grudges against C-SPAM and the people who post there to poo poo up the discussion surrounding all of this. While the discussion was confined to C-SPAM, I was at least able to probate people who were clearly intent on disrupting necessary discussion.

The most shocking aspect of all of this to me, is how so much of it could have been avoided with the simple and effective trick of communicating with your user base. I realize the mods are unpaid volunteers, but the role is in essence a customer service job and as someone who has worked many customer service jobs, the kind of response the mods have given here would get you fired from literally all of them.

Personally I consider the initial powder keg moment to be the “Happy Holidays Dickeye” month probe. Very shortly after it happened, a thread was created in D&D appealing the decision, since QCS was closed. Many posters from both D&D and C-SPAM questioned the obvious unfairness of the probation, and rather than say “I’m sorry” and undoing the month, PPJ decided to dig his heels in and completely ignore the requests of the posters of his subforum while insultingly reducing it to 14 days as a “compromise.”

If an apology and a full lifting of the probe (or even just making it the standard 3 day probation that the D&D primary thread was known for) had happened right then and there, there is an extremely high chance literally none of this forums drama would have happened. PPJ would have gone on happily playing Rust with his Nazi buddies while secretly moonlighting as Discord Tailor Soldier Spy and no one would have been the wiser.

There appears to be this giant misconceived fear from the mods that if they apologize for or even acknowledge a bad decision, the baying crowd of crazy C-SPAM posters will call for their blood. In reality, we have found exactly the opposite to be the case. When LK came in and actually apologized and tried his best to explain what happened and engage in a dialogue with the community, he was treated extremely fairly and helped calm tensions at a point when they were incredibly high. I don’t understand this reluctance to tell a community that was wronged that you’re sorry for what happened, even if you weren’t directly involved.

I would like to quote a part of PPJ’s now-infamous OP to hammer home how incredibly loving stupid PPJ was in the hopes that nothing ever happens like this again:

quote:
Finally another goon and I got tired of this. We messaged Lowtax and said, "hey can you like, uh, just delete the gaming garbage discord and remake it if you're going to use it going forward for streams or patreon or anything going forward. as it is it's complete dogshit full of posts and posters you really would not be associated with any sort of donation drive (the only people posting comments on it are people who were permabanned from SA as it is)"

He said, wait, what the gently caress? Point me to them and I'll punt their asses off the server.

I said that was too much work and you wouldn't be able to get everybody. So bring GDN in. GDN is, if you don't know, the Goon Discord Network

Without wanting to come across as defending Lowtax and all of his recent actions, Lowtax’s initial impulse here (ban all the Nazis) was 100% the correct decision and PPJ told Lowtax “no, don’t do that” and proposed the solution that led to user personal information being compromised as well as all of the resulting fallout.

What in the absolute gently caress is the thinking behind this kind of decision? I honestly can’t comprehend it.

I’d like to say I’m extremely disappointed with logikv9 for just kind of letting all of this happen and never communicating with me when I was going all hands on deck to try to manage the chaos. I had a rough loving week dealing with all of this poo poo and getting absolutely 0 backup from anyone with mod/admin power made it all that much harder. I don’t think I should have had to PM him or anything for him to realize that I was working overtime and probably could have used assistance.

At least Captain_Maclaine reached out to me afterwards to apologize and explain that he was away when all of this went down, and he also had the decency to resign once he realized what exactly had happened. Silence has been damning throughout this whole process and I never had a problem with logik at all before this went down but unfortunately it seems like he’s another example of how not to mod a community.

The political lessons I am taking away and my thoughts about C-SPAM and the forums

We often joke a lot here about politics, and memes like “don’t trust the liberals, they will always betray you” have become part of the forums culture and consensus. Well, folks, those memes aren’t just jokes.

Take all of this as an incredibly abject lesson in how political power plays out. Yes, of course I realize that I’m talking about posts on an internet forum and not “real life” politics but this whole thing is such a perfect microcosm of what’s going on in the world politically these days that I can’t help but find it all extremely educational.

My hope is that President Bernie Sanders is the first small step we take towards possibly unfucking our country and society. I am and always will be an optimist at heart; I know that flies in the face of the inherent cynicism of Something Awful, but that time has passed. The mentality of “lol why do you care?” when applied to something that has life or death stakes is a poisonous one, but I can see why it’s practically impossible to separate it from this forum at this point. Many posters seem to cling to the forums status quo as comfort and think that changing the forums too much will invite disaster. I think that the community should grow and adapt with the times.

I keep coming back to that word. Community. Because that’s exactly what we are and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Digital spaces are quickly becoming just as important as real ones, and this subforum has led countless posters into the world of real life political activism. poo poo this subforum has a decent chance of being fundamental to the election of a loving Senator (Go Jess! Keep up the work Nichael!)

Never let anyone tell you that you don’t matter or that it’s pointless to fight for a cause or care about politics. Let the passions of your hearts burn strong.

Solidarity forever, goons.

lmfao i had thought it was a bit short, it was the first copy i could find on my phone using search

Homeless Friend has issued a correction as of 10:08 on Nov 8, 2023

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
5 page double spaced essay lol

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

looks like an earnest person sharing their feelings about a community they enjoy and feel a prt of :shrug:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Mokotow posted:

looks like an earnest person sharing their feelings about a community they enjoy and feel a prt of :shrug:

that was the fun part of the 2019 drama, they were dead serious

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Unfortunately I think the similarly heartfelt and cringy effortpost that got Jeff to inexplicably declare me the Voice of CSPAM back in the day is in the thread that got disappeared into the mod forums.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I would like to say, in this the D&D embassy, that I have never farmed D&D for quotes because they occur naturally without prompting on any given page.

My mother in law still believes in voting as a valid strategy and thinks I pay attention to US politics enough to explain to her why democrats kept voting for Jeffries until the republicans brought in a young earth creationist significantly worse than the previous guy. I decided to go ask USCE because I assumed there must have been some kind of backroom deal that fell through or something and I thought the odds of USCE knowing and caring about electoral politics was higher than succzone. I genuinely thought D&D might be useful for information. I had faith that this was your moment to shine.

lmao that USCE, with total sincerity, immediately defended the right of US representatives - people whose only job is to vote - to protest vote and the futility of sorting garbage candidates for lesser evil strategic voting. I swear I did not intend to provoke the swarm. I genuinely did not expect Discendo Vox to tell me that the only people responsible for electing a republican speaker were the republicans.

So please, take my sincere apology for the ruckus. It was my mistake for expecting anything.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
looking for a rules clarification......does nix count as d&d/are we allowed to flame him

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Ohtori Akio posted:

looking for a rules clarification......does nix count as d&d/are we allowed to flame him

Ive been forum banned from D&D, so I'm definitely not that.

You can flame me, but I will place a powerful curse on your family if you go too far

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

i thought hes one of yours

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Nix Panicus posted:

Ive been forum banned from D&D, so I'm definitely not that.

You can flame me, but I will place a powerful curse on your family if you go too far

its ok. i forgot what i had in mind.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
wampa was a good egg if only for making sure the ppj logs got to an anonymous behatted cat for dispersal to the greater forumsphere

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Homeless Friend posted:

that was the fun part of the 2019 drama, they were dead serious

Everyone was and everyone wrote super long very serious posts about very serious issues. It was a very serious time.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

i fly airplanes posted:

i would like 2 apply for asylum

chain please

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Majorian posted:

literally shaking

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Nix Panicus posted:

I would like to say, in this the D&D embassy, that I have never farmed D&D for quotes because they occur naturally without prompting on any given page.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

It's supposed to be open season for flaming in here and instead it's nothing but reaching across the aisle. Pitiful.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

FLAME ME! COME ON, DO IT! WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Is wampalord the goon whose dad bought an account to tel him to log off

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Majorian posted:

Everyone was and everyone wrote super long very serious posts about very serious issues. It was a very serious time.

Hell, I still do.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

DAMMIT, D&D, USE YOUR FLAMES!!!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I cast Fireball at this thread, dealing 8d6 fire damage to everyone in it. You can mitigate half of the damage by making a DC 15 dex save.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

docbeard posted:

From the river to the sea
Rule 2 point 1 4 section b

lol

i fly airplanes posted:

Good luck with that!

speng31b
May 8, 2010

i fly airplanes posted:

im formally revoking this guys diplomatic immunity or whatever

fizziest
Nov 5, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i fly airplanes posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

From cars to motorbikes to trains
May they all run over i fly airplanes

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

speng31b posted:

sometimes democracy works :unsmith:

vilerat 'em, boys

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

speng31b posted:

That's good because he definitely got hit by the fireball

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Ohtori Akio posted:

hes cspam but also insanely tedious so its easy to get it mixed up

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

ours is a noble people

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

smarxist posted:

vilerat 'em, boys

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Airplane guy might be ok, but only if they never learned how to land

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

smarxist posted:

vilerat 'em, boys

Submitted the request for a new mod.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

That's everyone in cspam

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Submitted the request for a new mod.

"Nix Panicus has information leading to the arrest of Hillary Clinton."

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
Do I count as cspam or d&d or can I be forumsfluid

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i'm assuming i'm supposed to hear the always sunny theme here

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of

tokin opposition posted:

Do I count as cspam or d&d or can I be forumsfluid

we believe in the strict forum binary here: gamer or political

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Fajita Queen posted:

That's everyone in cspam

:pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007