Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Kawalimus posted:

Who in the world looks at a guy like mcdaniels track record and is like "I want that guy and no one else"

"He must have learned from his mistakes during his previous tenure!"
- Man who doesn't learn from previous mistakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Kawalimus posted:

Who in the world looks at a guy like mcdaniels track record and is like "I want that guy and no one else"

I will never put any level of stupidity past the Cleveland Browns.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The idea has been expressed that the Ravens should make Mike McDonald the assistant coach/DC, pump up his salary as much as possible to incentivize him to stay as the Head Coach in waiting. They did this at GM with Decosta under Ozzie Newsome, but I'm not sure how feasible it is that Harbaugh and McDonald buy into a similar concept.

Personally I think they should all do it. It clearly serves all parties* best.

* My football interests.

Where has this idea been expressed, Twitter randos, Jerry Coleman, or some legitimate place?

sharknado slashfic fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 7, 2023

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Ken Mucusick. He's a local Ravens specific analytics guy. So it's basically a fan idea, not anything that has been reported on or expressed by anyone affiliated with the Ravens. I'd just had similar thoughts. Macdonald is very much Harbaugh's guy, so it wouldn't shock me if he passed the reigns. That's of course assuming Harbaugh isn't a lunatic and finds the idea of retiring at 62 attractive. A very bad bet.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Ken Mucusick. He's a local Ravens specific analytics guy. So it's basically a fan idea, not anything that has been reported on or expressed by anyone affiliated with the Ravens. I'd just had similar thoughts. Macdonald is very much Harbaugh's guy, so it wouldn't shock me if he passed the reigns. That's of course assuming Harbaugh isn't a lunatic and finds the idea of retiring at 62 attractive. A very bad bet.

Yeah the Filmstudy guy, I was kinda hoping it got floated in the press from the FO or something. Ah well.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

How quick we forget the Joe Judge experience

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
McDaniels got booted from Denver and went back to NE to win more ringz and enough time passed where the narrative was "he's grown as a person and learned from his mistakes" plus he made Mac Jones look like a competent QB so that's basically why he got the job.

I absolutely hated the hire from the rip and knew it wouldn't work out so it was basically just waiting to see how long until he crashed and burned which didn't end up taking as long as I thought. I remember being cautiously optimistic at first but as soon as I heard the story about him getting pissed at Carr for daring to audible out of his play calls, and winning the Seattle game as a result, then I knew it was doomed. You can't be that thin skinned about your precious playcalling especially when it leads to actually winning games, like who seriously gives a gently caress?

The biggest dickhead I've ever seen wear my team's colors and it's not even close. gently caress him, I'm glad he'll never be a head coach again and I hope he poo poo his pants in anger at the locker rooms cigar celebration after winning Sunday.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I heard a story that when Antonio Pierce was giving a speech to try to rally the team he talked about his experience on the 2007 Giants and McDaniels pulled him aside and was mad about it. what a miserable human

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

It was about the Giants team believing in each other and working hard in the belief that they can beat any team like with the undefeated Patriots in that Superbowl and the quote was along the lines of "don't ever talk about the Patriots like that again" like a goddamn toddler

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

So... Stafford's hurt hurt I guess

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1721971070511484937

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Well this is a much more fun option than starting someone nobody has ever heard of, I support this very much

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I'm sure he'll fit in well.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

He’s going to help Stetson Bennett get his nose out of a bathroom stall and into a playbook.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The objectively, scientifically True stat DVOA says that the Ravens are the third best team through nine games in the last 40 years.

https://www.ftnfantasy.com/articles/FTN/108654/week-9-dvoa-ravens-and-browns-approach-historical-greatness

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

AndrewP posted:

The objectively, scientifically True stat DVOA says that the Ravens are the third best team through nine games in the last 40 years.

https://www.ftnfantasy.com/articles/FTN/108654/week-9-dvoa-ravens-and-browns-approach-historical-greatness

That's impossible, Kawalamis told us that the Ravens suck and aren't contenders!

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

FizFashizzle posted:

He’s going to help Stetson Bennett get his nose out of a bathroom stall and into a playbook.

is that whats happening? I haven't heard anything but whispers

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The panthers signed Blake Martinez and he’s here to set the record straight

https://x.com/josephperson/status/1721994533875908923?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

bows1 posted:

is that whats happening? I haven't heard anything but whispers

There were always rumors in athens about alcohol and coke. He was a pretty hard partier.

quote:

“I got a chance to hear his voice and he sounds really good and that was really cool to hear," McVay said.

RELATED: Rams head coach says it is 'less likely than it is likely' that Stetson Bennett returns this season

The head coach declined to provide a timetable for when Bennett might return to the team for football activities. He previously asked reporters to respect his decision to keep the matter private.

"Out of respect for him and the situation, I'm going to leave all the specifics and particulars in-house," McVay told reporters on on Sept. 13. "And I want to be able to do that out of respect for that situation, so I'm not going to really have any follow-up information or anything that I'll give in that regards

That sounds like substance abuse to me.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 44 minutes!
I hope Stetson gets the help he needs but there's no way he ever plays an NFL snap at this point right

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

AndrewP posted:

surprised Alex Smith's "this kid's about to take my job" season was that good halfway in

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

indigi posted:

surprised Alex Smith's "this kid's about to take my job" season was that good halfway in

That was the previous season. 2018 was Mahomes' first season as a starter.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Lol that Wentz got a job after not playing at all since last year, and likely will have the locker room at his throat within a week.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Titans should do the right thing by Tannehill and cut him.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

shyduck posted:

I hope Stetson gets the help he needs but there's no way he ever plays an NFL snap at this point right

Not necessarily. He has an uphill climb because of his draft position but people get back on the wagon all the time.

Closest comparison is manziel (as far as off field stuff goes) but Johnny REALLY loving fell off.

Blackmon is the saddest one that I can recall.

Not looking great for Bennett, overall.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

He’s going to help Stetson Bennett get his nose out of a bathroom stall and into a new study bible.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003
Probation

FizFashizzle posted:

Not necessarily. He has an uphill climb because of his draft position but people get back on the wagon all the time.

Closest comparison is manziel (as far as off field stuff goes) but Johnny REALLY loving fell off.

Blackmon is the saddest one that I can recall.

Not looking great for Bennett, overall.
I look at his age, too. At 26 he's already older than half the starters in the league. I'm not saying anything about talent comparisons with said younger QBs, but I'm curious as to how much the Rams or anyone else is willing to invest in the guy. Maybe I'm wrong and he'll be the next Weeden, but yeah. Who knows.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I have nothing but distaste for the Raiders, but man does Antonio Pierce seem dope as hell and I really hope he succeeds, because he seems like exactly the sort of dude who should be a HC.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
News:
https://twitter.com/PWellz/status/1721933812840411258?s=20

Views:
Bill surprised he only got a one-way ticket to Germany.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Looking forward to all the fans and teammates hating him in about three weeks.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Android Apocalypse posted:

News:
https://twitter.com/PWellz/status/1721933812840411258?s=20

Views:
Bill surprised he only got a one-way ticket to Germany.

lol this isnt happening

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

NieR Occomata posted:

I have nothing but distaste for the Raiders, but man does Antonio Pierce seem dope as hell and I really hope he succeeds, because he seems like exactly the sort of dude who should be a HC.

Former player, is just himself, his guys loving love him. He's giving me Dan Campbell vibes in the best way, while seeming like his own dude.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

awake thinking about bj hill, dj reader, dax hill, dj turner, dj ivey, and trey hill on the bengals. sure would have been nice to get charlie jones back this week

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

shyduck posted:

Honestly from watching preseason he just doesn't have NFL arm talent. Dude looked like he was nearly getting picked off whenever he threw an out cos it was so slow.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Kevino07 posted:

That was the previous season. 2018 was Mahomes' first season as a starter.

the good old days. Tyreek and Kelce and good Sammy Watkins. Defenses not playing cover 2 shell all game. 4 verts playcalls several times a quarter.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

MikeCrotch posted:

Honestly from watching preseason he just doesn't have NFL arm talent. Dude looked like he was nearly getting picked off whenever he threw an out cos it was so slow.

That's how he looked in college.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

This is gonna rule if we get another Dan Campbell type coach this season

I have a habit of having Vegas teams as my second since family lives there (and flights and tickets are super cheap) so I could get in that train reaaaal easy

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003
Probation
It was a surprise Bennett was even drafted IIRC. He's not big, he's not fast, he's old, and it's no secret he QB'd two of the most talent-rich teams in cfb history where they probably could've played some of these games without a QB and still won. But being a Heisman finalist (lol) and the TCU championship blowout probably helped sway people enough, and this wasn't exactly a QB-rich draft. He would probably prosper in the XFL.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 8, 2023

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Pron on VHS posted:

the good old days. Tyreek and Kelce and good Sammy Watkins. Defenses not playing cover 2 shell all game. 4 verts playcalls several times a quarter.

It's always fun when something hits the league that defenses just have not seen before and can't prepare for in a week.

see also: 2019 Ravens

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

shyduck posted:

It was a surprise Bennett was even drafted IIRC. He's not big, he's not fast, he's old, and it's no secret he QB'd two of the most talent-rich teams in cfb history where they probably could've played some of these games without a QB and still won. But being a Heisman finalist (lol) and the TCU championship blowout probably helped sway people enough, and this wasn't exactly a QB-rich draft. He would probably prosper in the XFL.

Also, if you have the chance to have someone named Stetson Bennett on your team, you take it ten times out of ten

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Black Lighter posted:

Also, if you have the chance to have someone named Stetson Bennett on your team, you take it ten times out of ten

Stetson Bennett sounds like a sentient cowboy hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1722277337474183323

the Patriot Way is dead. long live the Patriot Way