Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
It's election day and it's kind of tragicomic if you actually pay any attention. In my county there are also a ton of ex-LEO's running, like this guy running for Director of the School District who direly needed a proof-reader.

His opponent was a fixture entrenched in the system for decades. :shrug:

What do you got?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I have an interesting case of the self-correcting nature of party politics. I'm in bright blue Minneapolis, so all three choices I have for city council are Democratic-Farmer-Labor, but two of them are like "I love cops!" The third is Ilhan Omar's former campaign manager. Oh and there's also a fourth funny guy who paid $250 just so he could be listed on the ballot for the sole purpose of putting "abolish bike lanes" as his party affiliation.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Pennsylvania still has voting by mail. This is awesome because it let me carefully fill out my ballot as I researched all the candidates. The big thing this year is the PA Supreme Court. It's still Democrat controlled, which means that threw away a bunch of GOP gerrymandered redistricting last year and, most importantly, tossed out Trump's attempt to overturn the 2020 election and allowed voting by mail to continue.

It's going to stay Democrat controlled BUT there's a chance a Republican judge, Carolyn Carluccio, could be elected. She hasn't said anything about abortion rights, but she's received the endorsement of a major anti-abortion group in the state. More concerning, she's mostly funding by Jeff Yass. Who is he? The richest man in Pennsylvania (probably), who helped fund a bunch of the Republicans who supported the January 6th insurrection, and who donated directly to a bunch of that "STOP THE STEAL" bullshit leading up to it.

I'm feeling pretty good after we squashed Dr. Oz and Doug Mastriano last year, but it's wild how much money is flying into our state to try and turn us into a evangelical fascist nightmare.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I live in a very small town, but still, I keep a low profile. So the old ladies at the polling center don't know who I am. But, since I appear on the rolls, we can chat it up. I love it, I work each old lady individually. Since I know they love it.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I'd mentioned it in a previous thread; I live in a blue district, but since nobody pays attention to school elections, we're getting some guy running unopposed on the platform of outting children's sexual and gender identity to parents and teachers.

JetSetGo
Jan 1, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I've worked as an election coordinator for a few years, this is a fancy way of saying I'm the guy legally responsible for keeping a voting place open/closed on election days. I supervise typically a group of senior citizens who do the actual work of registering voters and handing out the ballots while I plug in the scary electronic equipment.

When that whole voter fraud poo poo happened I thought it was loving hilarious because these dorks wove this mass conspiracy to hack computers when if you just sat at a site long enough one of the judges will just start loving up paper work, or another direct's coordinator would disappear or get drunk forcing a district to stay open later or just fall into chaos.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

feelix posted:

I have an interesting case of the self-correcting nature of party politics. I'm in bright blue Minneapolis, so all three choices I have for city council are Democratic-Farmer-Labor, but two of them are like "I love cops!" The third is Ilhan Omar's former campaign manager. Oh and there's also a fourth funny guy who paid $250 just so he could be listed on the ballot for the sole purpose of putting "abolish bike lanes" as his party affiliation.

Our local school board election had a lady who had policies that were 70% "ok, I can work with this" as a candidate, but one of her big policy points was "I think law enforcement in the schools is a good thing" but her opponent was a straight up "Our kids just need discipline and why aren't our schools on budget, I will make them do a budget" guy who had zero qualifications.

I'd like to run for a board position because I'm not a crazy person, but I only taught for six years and don't have any kids in the district, so I'm certain those would get me passed over. Yet we've got crazy like this running who might actually win.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I don't know the details of her platform, but having like one cop that works with the school seems like a pretty normal thing to me? If you think about it divorced from the context of "instead of figuring out how to prevent kids from wanting to do a school shooting we're gonna put cops in schools"

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I can't vote in America :(

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Voting in America

- James Brown

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

redshirt posted:

Voting in America

- James Brown

this is how i read the thread title

also that interview where james brown is high as gently caress and just keeps responding to every question with one of his song titles is a metaphor for political discourse in america, well played mr. brown

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

School board elections absolutely seem to be the wild west right now.

Our school board has one woman (who I think will win) that decided to run after the school pulled Persepolis from the curriculum of her son's class and her ads have just been "vote for me, I'm not going to pull books from the school". On the other hand we have a 71 year old living corpse who has said the school needs to follow a "Judeo-Christian" path and complained about kids turning gay from learning about gender neutral bathrooms.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Its wild to me that you can be on a school board and not even have kids.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

A Fancy Hat posted:

complained about kids turning gay from learning about gender neutral bathrooms.

I peed in near the river once, turned me gay real fast.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Hollismason posted:

That 71 year old has kids, they're just all grown up and don't talk to her any more.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Saalkin posted:

I can't vote in America :(
It's particular topical in America because it's election day but I don't want to exclude any non-Americans, so feel free to share 'Voting in [random country]' stories!

GodDamnArtist
Oct 11, 2002

Creating disasters and running away from them since 1981.
In my area all the candidates are trying to blend in and sound perfectly innocuous. But start digging around and more than half of them show their true colors with their 'delightful' coded language. AKA ban all the books my church doesn't like.

Christ, just focus on making sure the school isn't filled with roaches, that the teachers are paid fairly, and that the books are newer than 2005. :mad:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

county elections are today, but i checked my precinct on the county voting site and it's closed with no sample ballot

i guess there's nothing up for election at all here

GodDamnArtist
Oct 11, 2002

Creating disasters and running away from them since 1981.

Bad Purchase posted:

county elections are today, but i checked my precinct on the county voting site and it's closed with no sample ballot

i guess there's nothing up for election at all here

If it's like mine, it's a lot of small tiny areas and sub districts within the county. Some of the unincorporated parts of my county have a vote I think, and there is a school board election for an area right next to mine - literally 10 houses down from my place. But I guess I live too far away to vote in this crazy time. :shrug:

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
The ballot in Fairfax County in VA is like 18 inches long. There are 10 categories? offices? to vote for, some of which have multiple seats; plus a bond referendum.

Whereas last year I had exactly one bubble to fill in.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Cast my ballot for abortion and weed. 😎

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Hollismason posted:

Well if you're on the school board with kids you're going to bend everything to benefit your kids and gently caress everyone else.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Apart from a new Mayor, the local elections are all pretty tame stuff like school board. But I don't know anything about any of these candidates because it's such a small election. I tried to look that stuff up and even talked to one of the mayoral candidates, but I still have no idea apart from D vs R. So, I'm not going to vote this time. I am the problem. #hatersgonnahate

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Apart from a new Mayor, the local elections are all pretty tame stuff like school board. But I don't know anything about any of these candidates because it's such a small election. I tried to look that stuff up and even talked to one of the mayoral candidates, but I still have no idea apart from D vs R. So, I'm not going to vote this time. I am the problem. #hatersgonnahate
If you're like many of us who used to read all the issues and vote accordingly but became radicalized to the left by psychopathic white supremacist terrorists in the Republican party and no longer give them any agency whatsoever, there are resources like the progressive voters guide which can help you vote down left-leaning party lines. I usually use that and then make educated guesses on the ones they don't cover (which I assume they feel less passionately about anyway).

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I voted!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

There's not anything to vote for in Nebraska. Not a god drat thing. It's all shambles already.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

There's not anything to vote for in Nebraska. Not a god drat thing. It's all shambles already.

Odd sentiment being repeated in this thread. I'm in one of the top 5 largest cities in WA and I think this is the first time I've ever voted where there wasn't an issue on the ballot. Just filling positions. I could be wrong though.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Jelly posted:

What do you got?

We've got an anti-trans dumbass pretending to be trans as a joke who is running for a school district office on a platform of undoing all the "woke" stuff they've enacted. The school district is like, we don't know who that guy is, he's a wingnut, if he wins it'll suck for your kids.

He's gonna get a non-zero number of votes.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

chainchompz posted:

We've got an anti-trans dumbass pretending to be trans as a joke who is running for a school district office on a platform of undoing all the "woke" stuff they've enacted. The school district is like, we don't know who that guy is, he's a wingnut, if he wins it'll suck for your kids.

He's gonna get a non-zero number of votes.

Is this the Canada guy that the right latched onto, or a new one?

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib

Jelly posted:

If you're like many of us who used to read all the issues and vote accordingly but became radicalized to the left by psychopathic white supremacist terrorists in the Republican party and no longer give them any agency whatsoever, there are resources like the progressive voters guide which can help you vote down left-leaning party lines. I usually use that and then make educated guesses on the ones they don't cover (which I assume they feel less passionately about anyway).

That's actually, like, crazy helpful. Thanks I'll try to wrangle these ballots over to the town hall today. :cool:

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Just voted bithc

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I'm voting for Blameless B simply because it will upset nom epique and he will not be able to respond back

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Kro-Bar posted:

Cast my ballot for abortion and weed. 😎

feelix posted:

Just voted bithc

Wilkins Micawber posted:

That's actually, like, crazy helpful. Thanks I'll try to wrangle these ballots over to the town hall today. :cool:

:yeah:

Voting rules and you all rule

Toxic Mental posted:

I'm voting for Blameless B simply because it will upset nom epique and he will not be able to respond back

lol

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
We (central Texas city) had fourteen state propositions, one (1) contested school board position where platforms were largely indistinguishable, and a couple bond props. Turnout was higher than I expected under the circumstances.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

VOTING IN AMERICA, FEELS GOOD!

110723_5
Nov 8, 2023
Nobody can move beyond a 2 party system working in Washington DC #Youth #2023

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Google Jeb Bush posted:

We (central Texas city) had fourteen state propositions, one (1) contested school board position where platforms were largely indistinguishable, and a couple bond props. Turnout was higher than I expected under the circumstances.

I hope Prop 9 passes, although I don't know anything about it expect the part about raising pay for retired teachers. My dad is a retired teacher and right now his income is either below the poverty line or very close to it.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

If you vote in America, you don't even get a democracy sausage.

That's sad.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I voted even though there were only minor races (NJ legislature).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
Voted in NM. 10,000 Mules!! :evilbuddy: