Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

thread delivers.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

:pcgaming:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

remember when everyone had one of these guys? i remember.

110723_8
Nov 8, 2023
consumer oriented military design

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fart simpson posted:

remember when everyone had one of these guys? i remember.

ya I had one.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
mine would overheat with openwrt on it, so i hacksawed up an old northbridge heatsink and super glued pieces of it to all the chips on the wrt and left the top cover off

110723_8
Nov 8, 2023
boy o boy is this thing learning long sentences

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

110723_8 posted:

boy o boy is this thing learning long sentences

do you have any hobbies other than donating money to jeffrey?

110723_8
Nov 8, 2023

fart simpson posted:

do you have any hobbies other than donating money to jeffrey?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVTDGUEIruI&t=117s

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Jonny 290 posted:

mine would overheat with openwrt on it, so i hacksawed up an old northbridge heatsink and super glued pieces of it to all the chips on the wrt and left the top cover off

every router from this era would overheat. they had like a 9 month lifespan on average, i swear. the disposable routers period

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

well-read undead posted:

every router from this era would overheat. they had like a 9 month lifespan on average, i swear. the disposable routers period

they also had nat table memory on the order of kilobytes so that's why everybody was always "you gotta reboot your router every 72 hours"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
this is my $49 edgerouter lite and i havent had to configure or reboot it in three years. a wrt would poo poo its pants at a quarter of these connections established

long way baby, etc etc

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

this is my $49 edgerouter lite and i havent had to configure or reboot it in three years. a wrt would poo poo its pants at a quarter of these connections established

long way baby, etc etc

too bad ubiquiti sucks as a company

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

nudgenudgetilt posted:

too bad ubiquiti sucks as a company

a company that sucks? now ive heard everything

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

linksys with regard to 54g

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
all companies suck we gotta just learn to deal with it

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fart simpson posted:

a company that sucks? now ive heard everything

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

i remember

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

post hole digger posted:

thread delivers.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Yeah I got one of those revisions where Linksys decided to completely change the hardware to garbage specs and use the same model number. Was absolute dog poo poo and somehow would gently caress up pulling down email. Didn't even have enough ram to even work correctly and they shipped it broken that.

Outcry was so bad they created the wrt54gl (aka the hardware before they hosed it) to try and quell people. I'm still so pissed about it I haven't bought a Linksys in almost 20 years.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

TerminalRaptor posted:

I'm still so pissed about it I haven't bought a Linksys in almost 20 years.

lol i did the same but also with netgear and d-link because alllll of it was garbage. so i ended up buying an airport extreme and enjoyed having a router that just worked all the time without having to think about it for the next 10+ years

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i had one of these but it was the v5 or whatever that had way reduced specs and couldn't run tomato or ddwrt

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

TerminalRaptor posted:

Yeah I got one of those revisions where Linksys decided to completely change the hardware to garbage specs and use the same model number. Was absolute dog poo poo and somehow would gently caress up pulling down email. Didn't even have enough ram to even work correctly and they shipped it broken that.

Outcry was so bad they created the wrt54gl (aka the hardware before they hosed it) to try and quell people. I'm still so pissed about it I haven't bought a Linksys in almost 20 years.

yeah this one

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the wrt54gl did get a new burst of life because the ham operators figured out to hack the firmware to let it run on what is basically channel -1 if you just do the math, so it became the core of the 2.4 ghz ham mesh networks.

later on they hacked better devices; i had a setup for it for a couple of years with a 600 milliwatt bullet m2 into a patch antenna. Motherfucker kept a 54mbps link to the radio on Green Mountain, seven miles away

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i had one of these and my dad had some tech guy come to our house and set it up. he put a mac address filter on it, probably in revenge for bringing him to our house

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

apparently i bought one for $69.99 in 2004 from newegg, op

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I stopped reading at 69

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis posted:

I stopped reading at 69

imessage me :wink:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

obsessing over getting a V4 so it would support the full firmware rather than the cut down V5+ version, and then never using it as anything except a basic wifi router

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i remember dd-wrt had some special edition that ran on those 2mb flash versions, worked pretty ok

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
still have mine somewhere.

it was great in college and then when it was well past its prime I used it as a wireless bridge when I moved to the city. ganked someone’s open WiFi that was only visible at the other end of my apartment and ran a cable to my room while I waited for Verizon to install my DSL

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jonny 290 posted:

long way baby, etc etc

i've got a little mikrotik with an incomprehensible model number that just sips power and supports a little over ~29k simultaneous connections

it's the second one i've had since the ol' 54gl had to be replaced because it couldn't keep up with the torrents. i actually kept a pair of the 54gls in use for another five years or so because i had a wireless bridge setup to give my mom internet at her apartment down the street where i used to live. they were rock solid for that. they basically just got surplussed because i moved.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

that era of wifi and router janitoring sucked so bad

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

polyester concept posted:

and the wrt54g with some variety of open source firmware was a significant improvement over anything you could buy at the time in the consumer/soho space

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
This page isn’t loading has anybody tried restarting the router?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

infernal machines posted:

i've got a little mikrotik with an incomprehensible model number that just sips power and supports a little over ~29k simultaneous connections

it's the second one i've had since the ol' 54gl had to be replaced because it couldn't keep up with the torrents. i actually kept a pair of the 54gls in use for another five years or so because i had a wireless bridge setup to give my mom internet at her apartment down the street where i used to live. they were rock solid for that. they basically just got surplussed because i moved.

mikrotik ftw

ive got their old rear end poe router and it handles my 500 Mbps broadband and 4 wifi APs like a champ

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

polyester concept posted:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

pining for that era as consumer routers now basically don’t have a web interface and the app they want you to use gargles balls and requires an account. maybe next year I’ll try to get a prosumer setup going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lol