Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jenny Agutter posted:

pining for that era as consumer routers now basically don’t have a web interface and the app they want you to use gargles balls and requires an account. maybe next year I’ll try to get a prosumer setup going

ugh yeah

this app future sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
get a mikrotik they're dirt cheap and they have a fully functional web ui

the interface is not friendly and the documentation is all wikis and forum posts, just like god intended

if you learn to use one you will feel like you have accomplished something

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

linksys warthog

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

i just use whatever my ISP sent me lol

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Hed posted:

it was great in college and then when it was well past its prime I used it as a wireless bridge when I moved to the city.

drat I didn't know they had range like that, respect to linksys

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

OldAlias posted:

i just use whatever my ISP sent me lol

i did that until i found out this centurylink router has a firmware bug that breaks things like homekit and airprint, that CL has been aware of for at least two years, and still hasn't fixed. got an edgerouter-x last week and everything works perfectly now.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

you could set the tx power and they had an rp-sma connector so you just slap on your own directional antenna and they go for a good long ways

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 9, 2023

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Jenny Agutter posted:

pining for that era as consumer routers now basically don’t have a web interface and the app they want you to use gargles balls and requires an account. maybe next year I’ll try to get a prosumer setup going

i've got an asus mesh network dealio and it has a web interface for everything. there's an app too, but you never need to use it, and most settings are only accessible on the web interface anyway

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ngl, asus make routers

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
only wireless ive ever used is airport express. i'm on my second one, first one died like 9 years ago

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i poo poo on mikrotik only because i didnt keep up with the vuln-list listserv or w/e and that bosnian piece of poo poo got 0dayed and i ended up getting my IP banned from amazon, netflix and google because i was flagged as running an open http proxy

That being said, that was on me.

i will never again run any network hardware that isn't ubiquiti, and i don't give a poo poo if you're annoyed at their subscription model for their newest products so don't bother clicking the button and typing. get an edgerouter, it works forever, no monthly fees, you're good.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I had a wrt54gs? I think? back in the day. it could not run ddwrt

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Silver Alicorn posted:

I had a wrt54gs? I think? back in the day. it could not run ddwrt

that was the value optimized model they came out with afterwards with half the ram. there were eventually builds that would run on it but it was a dog

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

i poo poo on mikrotik only because i didnt keep up with the vuln-list listserv or w/e and that bosnian piece of poo poo got 0dayed and i ended up getting my IP banned from amazon, netflix and google because i was flagged as running an open http proxy

i will never again run any network hardware that isn't ubiquiti, and i don't give a poo poo if you're annoyed at their subscription model for their newest products so don't bother clicking the button and typing. get an edgerouter, it works forever, no monthly fees, you're good.

fuckin wrekt

they're latvian tho

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

infernal machines posted:

that was the value optimized model they came out with afterwards with half the ram. there were eventually builds that would run on it but it was a dog

Yep, and I tried janitoring that thing far longer than I should have. I replaced that thing with a Buffalo router and then wondered why I waited so long.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jonny 290 posted:

im annoyed at their subscription model for their newest products

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

that's the power of overdriving the antennas through open sores

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

yo what the gently caress, i just found out my condo is wired for ethernet. been living here over a year and finally peaked behind one of the phone jacks to see its just wired with two of the twisted pairs from some cat5e. time to convince my wife to let me put a router in the linen closet

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jenny Agutter posted:

yo what the gently caress, i just found out my condo is wired for ethernet. been living here over a year and finally peaked behind one of the phone jacks to see its just wired with two of the twisted pairs from some cat5e. time to convince my wife to let me put a router in the linen closet

wrt54g?

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

nm, wrt54g u?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

:hai:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Jenny Agutter posted:

just make sure it's run somewhat sensibly (i.e. all the phone jacks going to some central location, probably punched onto a 66 block). phones can be daisy chained, and sometimes they'll wire it that way but just use 5e for convenience

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Raluek posted:

just make sure it's run somewhat sensibly (i.e. all the phone jacks going to some central location, probably punched onto a 66 block). phones can be daisy chained, and sometimes they'll wire it that way but just use 5e for convenience

they all meet in the aforementioned linen closet behind a wall plate, it’s where the coax cable comes in and presumably the pots when that was around. inside the closet wall the cables all have the outer insulation cut back maybe 4-6 inches. good idea on doing a continuity check though, might save me some troubleshooting later

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
it's good that they made these stackable, you know for when you have a need to have 10 WAPs on top of each other.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
you could stack your cable modem, fast ethernet switch, and wireless router if you wanted, i guess. the wrt54g wasn't the only thing available in that form factor

e: i recall they had separate router (BEFSR41) and wap (WAP54G) so i guess you could have up to 4 if you also had a separate modem and switch

Raluek fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 13, 2023

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

yes why wouldn't you stack things prone to overheating, seems like a great plan

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

when you have a need to have 10 WAPs on top of each other.

man save some for the rest of us

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

wet access point

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

that’s a lot of macaroni in a lot of pots

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fart simpson posted:

wet access point

ive realized this is just a well, actually

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fart simpson posted:

wet access point

:shlick:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I work at a 95% ubiquiti powered wisp and we saw the writing on the wall during the last ubnt training where they have gone subscription and full app even on the non-unifi gear which is lmao, superceding even their own management systems

we have 7k+ ubnt devices network wide and we're running away as fast as possible now

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my ubiquiti unifi dream machine is very needs suiting

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

DJ Commie posted:

I work at a 95% ubiquiti powered wisp and we saw the writing on the wall during the last ubnt training where they have gone subscription and full app even on the non-unifi gear which is lmao, superceding even their own management systems

we have 7k+ ubnt devices network wide and we're running away as fast as possible now

what are you switching to

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

what are you switching to

cambium for a lot of things (3.65 cbrs currently and soon 6ghz)
we use mikrotik for <900m 60ghz stuff but cambium is not at all competitive in cpe cost* and 'tik is total goofy poo poo garbage in 5ghz, so the answer is ubnt for the foreseeable future :sigh:

*generally customers pays msrp for the cpe or 36mo lease @4%/mo so a $1200 cpe is a non-starter

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

this dude is trying to turn a fruit into an operating system

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

this dude is trying to turn a fruit into an operating system

tomatoes are vegetables gang member joins the fight

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

Jonny 290 posted:

they also had nat table memory on the order of kilobytes so that's why everybody was always "you gotta reboot your router every 72 hours"

I once saw this product you could plug into an outlet, then plug your wireless router's power into that, and it would connect to your wifi and when the wifi stopped working, it would power cycle the router for you.

It was one of those genius solutions for a problem that doesn't need to exist

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
i do not like how ubiquiti is just all unifi and dream machine now i just want edgerouter and edgeswitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Wild EEPROM posted:

i do not like how ubiquiti is just all unifi and dream machine now i just want edgerouter and edgeswitch

they still make and sell all of that stuff: https://store.ui.com/us/en?category=all-wired