Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

pining for that era as consumer routers now basically don’t have a web interface and the app they want you to use gargles balls and requires an account. maybe next year I’ll try to get a prosumer setup going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

yo what the gently caress, i just found out my condo is wired for ethernet. been living here over a year and finally peaked behind one of the phone jacks to see its just wired with two of the twisted pairs from some cat5e. time to convince my wife to let me put a router in the linen closet

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

:hai:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Raluek posted:

just make sure it's run somewhat sensibly (i.e. all the phone jacks going to some central location, probably punched onto a 66 block). phones can be daisy chained, and sometimes they'll wire it that way but just use 5e for convenience

they all meet in the aforementioned linen closet behind a wall plate, it’s where the coax cable comes in and presumably the pots when that was around. inside the closet wall the cables all have the outer insulation cut back maybe 4-6 inches. good idea on doing a continuity check though, might save me some troubleshooting later