Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Lifehack
Only photograph anuses and it will always look like rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I've been mucking around with a 1938 Leica IIIa I was given. I've chucked the 50mm f2.8 Elmar from 1958 I bought for my IIIg originally, although I have a '49 Summitar which is now almost always mounted to it. These were taken on God's Own Film (Fomapan 100).

The other oddball I have is I recently acquired a Leica M1 - it's an M2 sans rangefinder. I'm not sold on the M over my screwmount Leicas for a stack of reasons (the RF telescope on the screwmounts are great), but I can get why the M has a real following. This was definitely shot on a roll of Fomapan 100, but I can't remember if this is on the f2.8 Elmar or the Jupiter-12.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
First of all scanning is relaxing. Sure it takes time but it's an important part of the process. Unless you are printing it's likely the first time you really get to see your photos which to me is still magical. It's also when you get to decide what the final images will look like. It's a great opportunity to think about your photos and how they all fit together. Or to think about photography in general!

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Foma 100 ftw

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I’ve always wondered: how hard is it doing darkroom prints of colored negatives? I know how to do B&W, even if I haven’t for a while, and prints with enlargers but I’ve always been told color negative film was designed from
The ground up to be done via machines

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

It's a far more rigid process with less opportunity for creativity than black and white printing. Dodging and burning a colour print introduces colour shifts and you can't change contrast. The whole process has to be done in complete darkness (unless you have a very expensive safelight).

The process is essentially:

1. set colour filtration to recommend for the film stock
  2. Do test strip to determine exposure time
  3. Do test print and assess using colour print viewer
  4. Dial in compensation on colour filtration head to remove colour cast
  5. Repeat 3 & 4 until colour casts are removed

For me the additional effort isn't worth it for the reduced artistic input. I'd rather scan and edit the few colour photos I take and get them printed with a nice inkjet.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I'm not sure yet, but i might sell my Osram Duka 10 low pressure sodium safelight. Sodium is the one you need for color paper.
*If* i am gonna sell it, the price will be 50 euro, willing to ship worldwide.
Works perfectly fine, and it is complete in its original box with user manual and stamped warranty form from 1985.
If anyone might be interested, let me know. Whether i actually will sell it, depends on some other stuff i'm trying to get rid of. My tech room is too full of interesting old electronics.

Even with the dedicated sodium safe light, you need to turn it all the way down for working with modern color paper, because the modern stuff is more sensitive than what they used when the safelight was new.

I would like to have fully analog color prints just for the sake of doing it without a computer, but i feel like i don't have the energy to get into yet another workflow. If i were to do it, i'd do it in a communal dark room so i can use the RA-4 processing machines.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 11, 2023

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I would be very interested in this if you decide to let it go

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Ok, I went to the place with the dark rooms that sells film to buy film and walked out with a professionally refurbished Yashica Mat 124G. All the cameras I inherited that are medium format take 620 film and I really just don't want to deal with that. I really need to find all my undeveloped film stash and send em over.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

some delta 400 in a p&s

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I love that sequence

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
I know Cinestill is supposed to be evil, but shot my first roll of it and liked how several turned out. I know they aren't perfectly sharp I shot all of them handheld, but I was usually out and about

Also open to feedback- what do you think of the last one? I don't really know what my subject was supposed to be, but I thought it would be a unique perspective

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008

Recoome posted:

I've been mucking around with a 1938 Leica IIIa I was given. I've chucked the 50mm f2.8 Elmar from 1958 I bought for my IIIg originally, although I have a '49 Summitar which is now almost always mounted to it. These were taken on God's Own Film (Fomapan 100).

The other oddball I have is I recently acquired a Leica M1 - it's an M2 sans rangefinder. I'm not sold on the M over my screwmount Leicas for a stack of reasons (the RF telescope on the screwmounts are great), but I can get why the M has a real following. This was definitely shot on a roll of Fomapan 100, but I can't remember if this is on the f2.8 Elmar or the Jupiter-12.

I just bought a iiif last month for myself. Shot my first roll of film and eagerly awaiting for it to get developed. What are the risk of light leaks on this camera? I have the older version of your lens, the Elmar is legendary though and what put Leica on the map.

Both of your pictures look great. Did you have to get a new rangefinder mirror on yours? I bought from KEH the initial one was rated “excellent” and the mirror was in terrible shape, they have a great exchange policy and sent me another one in great shape, bright mirror and I suspect it had been CLAed as it functions more smoothly.

lollybo fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 12, 2023

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

lollybo posted:

I just bought a iiif last month for myself. Shot my first roll of film and eagerly awaiting for it to get developed. What are the risk of light leaks on this camera? I have the older version of your lens, the Elmar is legendary though and what put Leica on the map.

Both of your pictures look great. Did you have to get a new rangefinder mirror on yours? I bought from KEH the initial one was rated “excellent” and the mirror was in terrible shape, they have a great exchange policy and sent me another one in great shape, bright mirror and I suspect it had been CLAed as it functions more smoothly.

Nice camera! I really rate these Barnacks are great user cameras so I don't think you can go wrong with them. The mechanism is extremely simple and really the number of these still kicking around is a real testament to how great they really are.

The risk of light leaks are really small - the primary issue will be shutter pinholes or something like that. Anything prior to the Leica IIIc will have some issues with light getting around the baffles if the lens is removed in strong light, but that'll be it. I had a really oddball light leak with my IIIg because some of the vulcanite had come away from between the slow speed dial and the lens mount, as well as from around the lens mount. I just used RTV silicone black to fill it in rather than re-covering the whole thing but that would've worked as well. The advantage of these bottom-loaders is theres just not a lot of ways light can get in.

I'll be getting a new mirror/optics clean on the IIIg in the next 12 months - it's not terrible but my IIIa absolutely smokes it regarding how nice the RF telescope is. The most annoying thing for me was doing the vertical alignment on the RF for the IIIg - there's not a lot of documentation as it's a bit more of an oddball Barnack but I ended up turning the prism with a toothpick and now it's awesome.

e: the biggest trick is loading, for sure. It took a few rolls to get "the touch" but now it's dead simple to get the roll, pull it so it's 22 sprocket holes long, cut a 20 sprocket hole leader, and then seating the film. It's to the point where I can change film in and out and not lose a frame as long as it's going into another Barnack.

Recoome fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 12, 2023

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

lollybo posted:

I know Cinestill is supposed to be evil, but shot my first roll of it and liked how several turned out. I know they aren't perfectly sharp I shot all of them handheld, but I was usually out and about

I don't want to start a pile on, but my problem with cinestill (ignoring the ongoing corporate controversy) is that every single one of these would look better without being covered in red halation blobs

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

That's very true but if you are some kind of sicko who likes that then buy Reflex Lab film cause it's exactly the same thing

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

big black turnout posted:

every single one of these would look better without being covered in red halation blobs

:hmmyes:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Does anyone have a specific light meter app for Android that they find works well? The guy at the shop actually said that's what he uses for metering, but his was an iPhone app.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I think halation blobs look neat in black and white - esp around candles n poo poo

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

carticket posted:

Does anyone have a specific light meter app for Android that they find works well? The guy at the shop actually said that's what he uses for metering, but his was an iPhone app.

This is the one I use when I don't have any other light meter on me

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.willblaschko.android.lightmeterv2.free

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Megabound posted:

This is the one I use when I don't have any other light meter on me

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.willblaschko.android.lightmeterv2.free

Thanks. I'll have to check it against my DSLR results and see if it's close. I was way more comfortable with everything film, including trusting the camera light meters, when I was doing it regularly. I guess I'll still probably pick up a good modern incident light meter.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

In the last thread I mentioned I wanted to see how different gammas of one film stock impact the resulting scans. I wanted to do this because (1) this article argues that Zone 8 density should be ~1.25 while my Zone 8 density is often ~2.0, and (2) I don't want to gently caress up some expired film I had recently picked up. The idea was to do two test rolls of Delta 100 where the only variable is developing time, characterize the film speed and gamma, and then do some actual subjects using another two rolls, so I can compare how different gammas impact scans of high dynamic range and low dynamic range scenes. I just finished the speed/gamma characterization and things are not going too well.

Methods:
I am using a light panel to create a uniformly lit surface, and I use my camera to shoot a "dose array": exposures from -5.5 stops to +5 stops, along with one blank witness frame so I can measure base + fog. The setup looks like:

I keep the aperture fixed and only adjust exposure time, making sure that +5 lands on 1 s.

Developing:
I use 12 mL Rodinal in 900 mL water (1+75) at 20 C for each roll of 120, and I use constant agitation in a Simma roller. On one roll I assumed ISO 100 and developed for 15 minutes, while on the other roll I assumed ISO 20 and developed for 10 minutes.
Stop: 45 mL IlfoStop in 900 mL water (1+20), 1 minute
Fix: 190 mL Ilford Rapid Fixer in 760 mL water (1+4), 5 minutes
Rinse: 4 times rinse/agitate/dump with tap water, two final rinses with water that was filtered and then distilled

Measuring:

The resulting roll is cut up into four strips, placed on the light panel, and I use my spot meter to measure how many stops darker the frames are relative to the blank witness frame. To eliminate ambient light, I place the light meter in physical contact with the film holder sheet and I put a cap on the eyepiece of the spot meter (though this last point only impacts the high density measurements). Stops are then converted to density in a spreadsheet.

Results:

The data are plotted. Film speed is determined as the place where I get a density of 0.10. So if I meter at ISO 100, and the -4 exposure gives me a density of 0.10, then the film is indeed ISO 100. But if I get a density of 0.10 at the -3.5 exposure (half a stop more light than expected), then the actual film speed is ISO 70 (half a stop slower than assumed).

Fudge factors:
My Sekonik can only use 1/3 stop increments in ISO, while my Hasselblad can only shoot in half stop time increments. If I don't have a frame with a density of 0.10, I have to make an educated guess. In the ISO 20 roll, I had to use the lens wide open which resulted in some vignetting.

Question:
I am not surprised that the roll that was developed for 15 minutes came out with a high gamma of >1. But I was hoping that the second roll would give me a gamma of 0.6. Unfortunately, it appears that if I insist on reaching that gamma by just adjusting develop time (nothing else) I would end up with a film speed of ~ISO 10, which is comically slow compared to half box speed. So, what is the easiest parameter to tune? I am thinking the constant agitation is the next thing to adjust. I had initially bought the Simma roller so I would get consistent results. I come from the photolithograthy world, where one either agitates constantly or not at all; anything in between will give inconsistent results. Since I don't like the results of stand developing, I decided on constant agitation. But if this locks in high Z8 densities I will try a roll with normal black and white developing.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I've been shooting 16mm in this Minolta-16 MG and it's good fun. This is Double-X in HC-110, a bit overexposed.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

that glow is nice

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Nice ergodox nerd

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Thanks nerd!

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
You're welcome. I have the exact same one at home and the black one at work.

On topic question: do y'all have multiple size development tanks? Right now I only have a Paterson 3 reel but I feel like I'd like to have a single reel tank so I don't *have* to shoot 3 rolls.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

On topic question: do y'all have multiple size development tanks? Right now I only have a Paterson 3 reel but I feel like I'd like to have a single reel tank so I don't *have* to shoot 3 rolls.

You can just fill it part way up.

Personally I'm lazy and have only developed a single roll of film like, 2-3 times in 15+ years.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
How do you deal with inversions when it's going to be taking the film totally out of the liquid?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Lol, I've got black with legends at work and white with blanks at home too.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

How do you deal with inversions when it's going to be taking the film totally out of the liquid?

It's fine, you're thinking too hard about it. I run single reels in my 2 reel tank all the time.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Buddy, I develop 4x5 in a Paterson tank with no holders!!

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

On the bottom of a paterson tank there's written how much liquid you need to use. 290 milliliter per 135, 500ml per 120 in my case. I always add a tiny bit extra just to be sure...

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

My 2 reel tank says 500ml but I always put 600ml.
Once I had bubble shadows show up on my negs which was due to lowered volume in the tank because of a leak I assume. Switched to 600 and I've never had that issue before.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

theHUNGERian posted:

[nerd poo poo]

Tried "normal" (not constant agitation) B&W developing where I do 5 inversion in the first 10 seconds of every minute and things look better.

I'll stick to this recipe for now and only make changes to the development time as needed.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I checked the Yashica light meter against that phone app, and they both reported the same. I checked my Zeiss Bullseye against that app and the camera meter read a few stops low. I did some reading from a guy that repairs these cameras and apparently the meters are just awful in the context of modern film speeds and only really good with sub-100 ISO films. I think I used to use that meter, but I can't remember. I'll have to experiment with it once I'm developing my own film again.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

carticket posted:

I checked the Yashica light meter against that phone app, and they both reported the same. I checked my Zeiss Bullseye against that app and the camera meter read a few stops low. I did some reading from a guy that repairs these cameras and apparently the meters are just awful in the context of modern film speeds and only really good with sub-100 ISO films. I think I used to use that meter, but I can't remember. I'll have to experiment with it once I'm developing my own film again.

You also don't know how center-weighted the camera meter is vs the other methods. Just shoot Portra 400 and leave the meters at home!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Counterpoint

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Megabound posted:

Counterpoint

This is awesome. What is it called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

carticket posted:

This is awesome. What is it called.

The light meter is a TTArtisans one, and it's a 3D printed cold shoe to NATO strap adapter.