Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Megabound posted:

Counterpoint

Haha, that's awesome. I've been thinking about a Canon 7 for a long time (hung onto all my old LTM glass when I sold my Bessa years ago) but the lack of a cold shoe to mount one of those meters was a bit of a drag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I live in a post metering, post focus world

It’s called art sweaty look it up

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I am awaiting Pentax’s new film camera

once that releases I will pull the trigger on shooting black and white and developing at home

I’ve been having a dalliance with the Ricoh GR III X and I want Pentax to keep being obstinate and existing

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Dropped off three rolls to get developed... And I just realized I had a 4th roll that I discovered when I opened my FM. Oops (both opening it with film in, and forgetting to have them develop it). I guess I'll use that roll for practice.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Has anyone used the AstrHori AH-M1 light meter? It seems to be in the same sort of class as the TTArtisan one.

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
Just got a test roll developed from my 1950s Leica IIIF. No light leaks, and my exposures generally looked good though a few may be off by a stop or two. I generally relied on the sunny 16 rule, and a light meter on my cell phone when the scene has difficult lighting or too high of a dynamic range.

Shot on Leica Elmar, I have an uncoated version from the 1930s, people said you can get more contrast out of this lens with a hood. I kind of like the old timey low contrast look. Overall I'm impressed with the look, not the sharpest by today's standards, but the lens is almost 100 years old at this point.

Now that I know my camera doesn't have light leaks, I can focus on composition and try to take better photos

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

lollybo posted:

Now that I know my camera doesn't have light leaks, I can focus on composition and try to take better photos
Your stuff is already pretty great, I especially like the 2-headed cat. Shooting with a nonagenarian lens is awesome. More, please.

tropical
Aug 14, 2003
Ahh say whut?
I’m currently taking an Intro to Black & White Photography extended studies class at NSCAD in Halifax. I’ve got 15 years of DSLR photography experience but never had a chance to do the darkroom stuff before. I’m heading over to the photo department right now to work on prints for my final project.

I’m shooting on my dad’s late 70s Nikkormat FT2 with Nikkor 50 f/2 and 43-86 f/3.5 lenses, using Ilford HP5+ 400 film.

The class is almost over (last class is next week, 10 weeks total) but we’ve learned film processing and making prints with old school art school equipment. We have done both chemical prints and machine prints. It’s been a blast.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
So I'm one of those weirdos who is thinking about getting into film photography. Had a life event happen and realized I just have no physical pictures. (Yes I could just get digital pics printed, no that doesn't scratch the itch)

So my father in law said I could take one of his old cameras. There are three that are at all worth anything (not like monetarily, just in the sense of fixable/functional/not just old crap point and shoots)

Minolta SRT 200

Had a busted lens on it, clearly has something loose and broken in the view finder but not a broken glass just some strip of metal. Seems to be in slightly better shape than the next .

Minolta SRT 201

Back cover held on with tape, pulled that off and it will close fully with some effort. Viewfinder and lens are in better shape seemingly (as in not literally falling apart) but looks more heavily used so not sure.

Argoflex 75mm

Best shape of the three but kinda gimmicky looking and not sure if I wanna just straight into medium format.

So the question: I've heard that the minoltas are worth using but these will need some repairs or at least a thorough cleaning and maintenance. Is it worth spending the money on that or just getting a serviced one online that'll work right away or just something else entirely to avoid starting out with a headache.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
What's your budget for getting a decent working camera? Personally I'd shoot a roll on the srt 201 to see if it even works well or not. If it's got issues then you can weigh your options from there. I spent $300 between the two of my Pentax bodies getting them cleaned and serviced, and that didn't include anything to do with the lenses.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

a dingus posted:

What's your budget for getting a decent working camera? Personally I'd shoot a roll on the srt 201 to see if it even works well or not. If it's got issues then you can weigh your options from there. I spent $300 between the two of my Pentax bodies getting them cleaned and serviced, and that didn't include anything to do with the lenses.

For a budget to get started, probably around $200-300. I found a few independent camera stores nearby that do service and repairs, so I may at least go get a quote, though having a reference point for how they currently work might be good.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

The Minolta SRT series is ubiquitous, any of them will do, and while there were design revisions the fundamentals of them never really changed other than a bit more information in the viewfinder, a hot shoe and a film load indicator. The 201 is technically the more premium camera but not in any real way that will matter to you as a first time film shooter.

However, for like a quarter of the price of a service you could get a known working SRT to cut your teeth on to see if you even get along with the camera. I'm a Minolta diehard and while I paid for my 303b to be serviced that's because it's a camera I'm never going to part with, I will absolutely not be able to recoup the cost of the service in sale.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Megabound posted:

However, for like a quarter of the price of a service you could get a known working SRT to cut your teeth on to see if you even get along with the camera. I'm a Minolta diehard and while I paid for my 303b to be serviced that's because it's a camera I'm never going to part with, I will absolutely not be able to recoup the cost of the service in sale.

What are some reputable second hand camera shops online? Looking around it seems like the range is under $50 for "as is" no claim to level of function to $200+ for verified working cameras. Unless that's what you mean when it comes to how much service will cost.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I don't go to online shops, join your local film photography Facebook page and there'll be a bunch of photographers selling to other photographers, if you say you're looking for a starter SLR someone will probably offer you a great deal.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Megabound posted:

I don't go to online shops, join your local film photography Facebook page and there'll be a bunch of photographers selling to other photographers, if you say you're looking for a starter SLR someone will probably offer you a great deal.

Thanks for the tip.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also passed over this when digging through the cameras they had because I assumed it was just obsolete and not notable, but the FIL also had a Polaroid Automatic 100 (and another very early large polaroid I'd have to go back and check).

I assume outside of a very difficult and niche application that's not worth much?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

lollybo posted:

Just got a test roll developed from my 1950s Leica IIIF. No light leaks, and my exposures generally looked good though a few may be off by a stop or two. I generally relied on the sunny 16 rule, and a light meter on my cell phone when the scene has difficult lighting or too high of a dynamic range.

[snipping the photos]

Shot on Leica Elmar, I have an uncoated version from the 1930s, people said you can get more contrast out of this lens with a hood. I kind of like the old timey low contrast look. Overall I'm impressed with the look, not the sharpest by today's standards, but the lens is almost 100 years old at this point.

These look really good. I didn't do amazingly on the first few rolls of my IIIg because I was including too much sky in my metering which meant that at times some parts of the picture was too dark.

Here's me mucking around with my IIIg using the 50mm Summitar. Some mates and I shot a roll to a theme around nature in hidden places, so naturally I went to a really lush area near me that's a little off the beaten track and took photos using Ferrania P30.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

Crain posted:

What are some reputable second hand camera shops online? Looking around it seems like the range is under $50 for "as is" no claim to level of function to $200+ for verified working cameras. Unless that's what you mean when it comes to how much service will cost.

https://kamerastore.com/collections/35mm-film-cameras?pf_t_system=System-Minolta%20MD

I've been happy with this shop and they have some Minoltas for sale in good condition, though not exactly the same one.

Havana Affair fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 25, 2023

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So, I've got a Zeiss Contarex. It's old and worn, and the focusing screen is not great (fresnel across most of it with the standard microprism + split in the center). The 50mm f/1.4 takes some gorgeous photos, but it is really firm focus and is like three quarter turn near to far. I've also got a 135mm f/2.8 for it, which is also nice but also a lot of work to focus.

My other 35mm is a Nikon FM. I've got a modern 50mm f/1.8 that takes about 15° of turning for full focus throw. I use this camera for action. Are there any good zooms with short manual focus throw that I can get for this body? I think I have an old kit lens somewhere, but it looked pretty low quality. Something that covers 35-150ish would be awesome if anyone has ideas. I don't know where to look as a resource for this (i.e. reviews of old glass).

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Outside of Leicas what are some good rangefinders? I wanna get one for my carry everywhere camera since my Dynax 9 is a big ol’ tank that makes it hard to constantly have on me. I’m big into Minoltas so I was looking at the CLE but I’m open to all suggestions really. I want to compare my options before I drop money on one

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Outside of Leicas what are some good rangefinders? I wanna get one for my carry everywhere camera since my Dynax 9 is a big ol’ tank that makes it hard to constantly have on me. I’m big into Minoltas so I was looking at the CLE but I’m open to all suggestions really. I want to compare my options before I drop money on one

Fwiw, the CLE is my favorite camera I own and I landed on it after trying multiple fixed and interchangeable lens rangefinders

e: fair warning though, after collecting a handful of m mount lenses I decided that I could justify a digital leica

e2: its biggest downside is its frame lines. The lack of 35 and 50 is a bit of a hindrance if you want to have a lot of lenses

big black turnout fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 25, 2023

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The Canon 7 or P is great value for money. It does limit you to the screw mount lenses, but there are plenty of good ones.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

big black turnout posted:

Fwiw, the CLE is my favorite camera I own and I landed on it after trying multiple fixed and interchangeable lens rangefinders

e: fair warning though, after collecting a handful of m mount lenses I decided that I could justify a digital leica

e2: its biggest downside is its frame lines. The lack of 35 and 50 is a bit of a hindrance if you want to have a lot of lenses

Good to know! I was also looking at the Hexar RF but I don’t know if it was internet hyperbole or not but people rem to say the electronics of those are failing at a high rate

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Yeah I considered the Hexar but ended up being able to get a better deal on the CLE. It's hard to know if it's hyperbole

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Dr. VooDoo posted:

For LTM, I really rate the Canons. The Canon Barnacks are better than the Leica versions. The Zorkis/Feds are also great.

For fixed lens, I have a soft spot for the Yashica RFs. I have an Electro but I picked up a Lynx 14E for a mate and it’s the bees knees. While the Electro has a respectable f1.7 lens, the Lynx has a f1.4 lens and it’s absolute crisp. The advantage the Lynx has is that it’s purely mechanical and a 45mn focal length is great on a rangefinder.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Canon VL and L are great and a lot cheaper than a P. Nikon SP (or any of their other rangefinders) if you want one of the prettiest cameras ever made. The Voightlander Bessa R2 is also phenomenal. And as mentioned the Minolta CLE, best paired with the lenses Minolta made for it.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
You should buy a fuji gw690

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Thanks for all the suggestions! These are all great and I'm gonna compare them all and see which one hits me the most

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Oh, seeing as you're big into Minolta they did many other rangefinders if your ok with fixed lens. Their Minolta 35 interchange lens rangefinders are good but not as good as others mentioned.

The Minolta V2 is probably my favourite fixed lens rangefinder of theirs and you also have the Olympus SP and RD for phenomenal fixed lens rangefinders too.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
The Olympus SP was my runner up but the model I got had an inaccurate meter so I gave up on it

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

Crain posted:

I also passed over this when digging through the cameras they had because I assumed it was just obsolete and not notable, but the FIL also had a Polaroid Automatic 100 (and another very early large polaroid I'd have to go back and check).

I assume outside of a very difficult and niche application that's not worth much?

The Automatic 100 uses packfilm, which has been discontinued and the attempts to revive it are not straightforward. I’d give it a miss.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

You should buy a fuji gw690

Another vote for the GW690!

If you can find a meticulously maintained G(L)690 for little money then it too is a dope system. Much quieter than the fixed-lens version, and the 65/100/180 mm lenses are just as amazing as the 90 mm on the GW690. But nothing on that system can be fixed, so I would not want to spend much money on it.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Megabound posted:

Canon VL and L are great and a lot cheaper than a P. Nikon SP (or any of their other rangefinders) if you want one of the prettiest cameras ever made. The Voightlander Bessa R2 is also phenomenal. And as mentioned the Minolta CLE, best paired with the lenses Minolta made for it.

There’s a bunch of versions of the Voightlander Bessa; R2,3,4 A versions, M versions. Is there a version thatbgebrallybseen as better and more reliable? I’ve also had someone recommend looking at the Zeiss Ikon ZM

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I think they're all seen as reliable and good and you just need to find which one has the combination of features you want.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

On the extreme end of 'carry everywhere', the Olympus XA. Lovely little bean of a camera.

Also, if you don't mind a slower to use camera, the Barnack Leicas are honestly really portable too. If you pair it with a collapsible lens then it's legitimately pocketable even. I imagine the same is true of the Canon copies but I'm not too familiar with them.

The CLE is really nice but it has a lot of weird quirks. It has a meter, but you can only use the meter in aperture-priority mode iirc, they made the baffling to disable it when you switch it to manual. And yeah, the aforementioned lack of 35 and 50mm framelines because of pettiness on the part of Leica.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

When I was shooting last weekend, I opened my Nikon FM for the first time in 7 years and, of course, find a roll of HP5+ partly used. I shot three rolls that day and dropped them off to get developed and I was saving the HP5+ to do myself for practice.

I was at the shop this weekend, and they showed me my negatives pre-scanning, and I get two rolls of the event I shot and one roll of ???? I accidentally gave them the mystery roll instead of my third. Anyway, did some finagling and swapped in the correct roll for the scanning step. Brought the mystery roll home and whipped up a scanner with my DSLR and SAD lamp.

I kind of like the way they came out.

I intentionally sized the mask for the full width of the film and cropped wider. I wish I had a macro, buy I don't, so these are like 1MP cropped from the center.

Turned out to be my sister's wedding (I was not the official photographer). Lost two frames completely, and then a few in varying stages of this:

Some of the frames have neat shadows of sprocket holes from the accidental exposure, but I'm not gonna share photos of my sister's wedding.

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008

I like all your photos, but especially this one- I liked the chiaroscuro as well as the subtle subject of the woman in the middle. Which film did you use to take this one?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

lollybo posted:

I like all your photos, but especially this one- I liked the chiaroscuro as well as the subtle subject of the woman in the middle. Which film did you use to take this one?

I used Ferrania P30. It’s nominally 80 Iso but I’m not super sure.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

So just in case anyone in here doesn't follow the film news that every Youtube, Podcast, Reddit, and Instagram outlet has been reporting on for weeks, Harman Technology (affiliated/synonymous with Ilford Photo), have created the first brand new color film emulsion in many years, coated actual film with it, stuck in 35mm canisters, and begun selling it to the public. It is an "experimental" formulation and package for now. A limited edition run from which the proceeds will be used to further R&D refinements to the film going forward. It has "a look" which is very much "contrast". Various photographers who beta tested it have had some results. The 3 videos I've found most helpful:

Grainydays:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjyWK4P2sM0
He does a factory tour an interviews with several of the folks at Harman/Ilford for some more in depth background on the process

Mat Marrash:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAC3UvhP3aA
Has some great info on how best to scan and color correct so your images don't look like 1968's cross processing experiments while on acid (unless you want that, then go wild)

Shaka1277:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5PrGMxUBb0
Has a very interesting result when cross processing in E-6 chemistry, virtually eliminating the grain present in the scanned result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I saw the grainydays video in my feed and it’s genuinely cool how stoked the Ilford chemists seem to be trying a new thing