Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

toadee posted:

Shaka1277:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5PrGMxUBb0
Has a very interesting result when cross processing in E-6 chemistry, virtually eliminating the grain present in the scanned result.

At least from all the photos (Youtuber and non-Youtuber alike) I've seen of Phoenix 200, he probably has the best scans so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Is there any way to get info about this emulsion (and see what it looks like) outside of YouTube?

Edit: https://www.harmanphoto.co.uk/harman-phoenix-200

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 3, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do they sell it online at all? The nearest store I can find with it on their website is down in Chicago

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
It's kind of everywhere online yeah

https://filmphotographystore.com/products/35mm-color-harman-phoenix-color-200-1-roll

e: looks like fpp is on backorder

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1790521-REG/harman_photo_1182094_harmon_phoenix_color_negative.html

https://www.freestylephoto.com/1182094-Harman-Phoenix-200-ISO-35mm-x-36-exp.-Color-Film

https://brooklynfilmcamera.com/collections/35mm-film/products/harmon-pheonix-color

big black turnout fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 3, 2023

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
You know what, I couldn't put my finger on it but I just realized, a lot of these Phoenix 200 photos I've been seeing around look a lot like old Anscochrome.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I developed a roll of ektachrome from October-ish and figured I'd share a couple of the shots I liked best. Sometimes I have an idea and take a picture but it doesn't really translate to how I want it. Like the composition is off or theres no main focus on anything. For example, the picture of the road and the picture of the cows. They were both nice scenes but not as cool as I thought they'd turn out. On the other hand I like the shot of my bike and it came out marginally better than I expected. It was the end of the work day and I raced sunset to grab a picture before it got totally dark. I missed the right lighting a little but it was mostly supposed to be a fun ride to kill the last couple frames I had on the roll.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I bought some point and shoots, one for me and one for a friend, ran a test roll through yesterday.

Very happy with both, the top one is the Fuji Cardia Travel Mini OP and the bottom one is the Fuji Cardia Mini Elite OP, and they have a push button switch 45 and 28mm lens. I really like them.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
"I'm just holding it for a friend" uh huh sure thing buster

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

It's for the guy who designed and made this:

He came over and we both built those cameras, so I got him this one to take on his honeymoon, something nice and easy to use to make some memories with.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I also love bin

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008

a dingus posted:

I developed a roll of ektachrome from October-ish and figured I'd share a couple of the shots I liked best. Sometimes I have an idea and take a picture but it doesn't really translate to how I want it. Like the composition is off or theres no main focus on anything. For example, the picture of the road and the picture of the cows. They were both nice scenes but not as cool as I thought they'd turn out. On the other hand I like the shot of my bike and it came out marginally better than I expected. It was the end of the work day and I raced sunset to grab a picture before it got totally dark. I missed the right lighting a little but it was mostly supposed to be a fun ride to kill the last couple frames I had on the roll.

I really like the look of this film! Really cool color. I think your motorcycle shot would benefit from a closer crop (I took the liberty to try it)- it makes the fall foliage and motorcycle larger in proportion, and I would argue they are the more interesting subjects, the road being less interesting. You may have been using a fixed focal length camera, but I still think it's okay to crop film photos. You can lift your shadows if you want, but I like the cool darker look with the bike in shadows, that's a stylistic choice.

Perhaps the one with the fence and tree would look better with a closer crop too?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
The motorbike shot could use a crop but I'd do it as a landscape crop across the middle of the frame to keep that lovely background. The portrait crop above feels too crowded.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Finally got my Leica III back from being serviced locally(don't ask me why a leica iii was what i ended up starting with, i bought it on a whim when I didn't know poo poo about poo poo). Been like 6 months, the shop I went to is run by one guy who only takes cash and it's literally like walking out of a time machine when you go in there. Cool shop, just took a while. Anyway, looking forward to shooting some film again and being told it all looks terrible.

I read the OP and wow I'm glad I never got around to buying any Cinestill rolls. Will be telling my(vanishingly small group of) film friends about that immediately. I came across Atlanta Film Company yesterday while perusing available film stocks and bought a few rolls of ECN2 stuff and some repackaged expired Fuji 125T. Hopefully they aren't secretly terrible.

My dad also bought me a Canon 85mm f1.9 as a Christmas present. Can't wait for that to show up.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Honestly I feel like the Cinestill thing is a bit overblown. They got a trademark, it's probable they shouldn't have, but it's also almost certain they just hired a trademark representation firm who just looked over all this stuff and filed it for them, and if the PTO said yes then its really on the PTO for being idiots. They haven't sued anyone, they just sent letters that said "hey, we have a trademark for this title, please stop using it". I'm cynical enough now to wonder if the original guy who complained about it so vehemently (the dude who sells Reflex 800T, the film that is also Vision 500T with remjet removed), did it just to drum up sales. The Catlabs people also totally misclassified what was sent to them, and this is not taking sides it's literally in the letter they showed. It wasn't ever a threat to sue or any sort of lawsuit, just a "hey, this is in violation of our trademark fyi". Which is what you have to do btw if you own a trademark on something. If you DON'T send those kinds of letters or try to enforce it, you abandon your rights to it, something that would be pretty silly for a company who clearly just paid a trademark firm to do all of this stuff for them. It's not the greatest situation, but it's also like getting annoyed at a player for fault's in a game's core ruleset. If you don't like it, complain about the PTO or how trademarks work in general. In the meantime, just rename your film " 400 + 400 W", and enjoy the boost in sales from people who feel great about sticking it to the man. In actuality all of this stuff Cinestill did was probably a net benefit for people like Reflex.

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008

Admiral Bosch posted:

Finally got my Leica III back from being serviced locally(don't ask me why a leica iii was what i ended up starting with, i bought it on a whim when I didn't know poo poo about poo poo). Been like 6 months, the shop I went to is run by one guy who only takes cash and it's literally like walking out of a time machine when you go in there. Cool shop, just took a while. Anyway, looking forward to shooting some film again and being told it all looks terrible.

I read the OP and wow I'm glad I never got around to buying any Cinestill rolls. Will be telling my(vanishingly small group of) film friends about that immediately. I came across Atlanta Film Company yesterday while perusing available film stocks and bought a few rolls of ECN2 stuff and some repackaged expired Fuji 125T. Hopefully they aren't secretly terrible.

My dad also bought me a Canon 85mm f1.9 as a Christmas present. Can't wait for that to show up.

Nice camera! I also got a iiif earlier this year. The shots I showed the last page was also done with this camera and Elmar 3.5. Another poster had Leica iii shots too to share.

The camera is just really nostalgic and fun to use. I am really happy with the pictures the pre World War II lens can produce.

What is that epic looking lens you have in that picture? What other lenses are you planning on getting? There are a few Russian lenses that are decent and pretty cheap. I have an industar 61D that is usually on my Zorki that is compatible.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

lollybo posted:

Nice camera! I also got a iiif earlier this year. The shots I showed the last page was also done with this camera and Elmar 3.5. Another poster had Leica iii shots too to share.

The camera is just really nostalgic and fun to use. I am really happy with the pictures the pre World War II lens can produce.

What is that epic looking lens you have in that picture? What other lenses are you planning on getting? There are a few Russian lenses that are decent and pretty cheap. I have an industar 61D that is usually on my Zorki that is compatible.

Soviet lenses are not totally compatible with regular LTM cameras. This is because as part of reparations, when the Germans handed over the factories to the USSR, there were 2 standards available for thread pitch available, Contax and Leica. Contax were bigger than Leica in the 40s so the Soviets used the Contax thread pitch on both their Contax mount and LTM mount cameras, instead of having to produce 2 different sets of lenses for the Kiev and the Fed. If you're after cheap LTM lenses that will focus perfectly across the entire focus range then your best bet is Canon.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
^^ I've heard that as well, but people seem to have no issue with any of the Jupiter lenses that I've seen on YouTube. I also have an Industar collapsible 50 that is(at least functionally) identical to the Elmar 50 and that has not given me any trouble.

The big rear end lens on it right now is a Leica 135 "Hektor" f4.5. For whatever reason that particular one is the most affordable Leica glass you can get from this era(presumably the low speed). I picked it up for about 140 bucks a year or two ago.

I'll edit this post shortly when I get on my computer to post some example shots with both!

edit: film is kodak colorplus 200. i don't remember any aperture or speed settings - this was before my camera was serviced, and it would hang up on anything below 1/60, so these are the good ones.

These all got scanned from a professional lab in Denver and I haven't done any cropping or color correction from what they sent me.

Admiral Bosch fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 15, 2023

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

The Jupiter is wide enough that while your critical focus will still be off your depth of field is wide enough to hide that fact. All of these lenses will have issues with critical focus wide open, and longer lenses will be more noticeable, but they can certainly be good enough if you're just zone focusing at apertures like f/8 and above.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

lollybo posted:

I really like the look of this film! Really cool color. I think your motorcycle shot would benefit from a closer crop (I took the liberty to try it)- it makes the fall foliage and motorcycle larger in proportion, and I would argue they are the more interesting subjects, the road being less interesting. You may have been using a fixed focal length camera, but I still think it's okay to crop film photos. You can lift your shadows if you want, but I like the cool darker look with the bike in shadows, that's a stylistic choice.

Thanks, slide film is the bomb! Its definitely sensitive to contrast but when you get something decent it looks great. And I don't normally crop my shirts but I'll have to go back and take a second look at all of the eh pictures I have. I can probably pull something decent out of them like you did for me. All of these were shot with a 50mm prime lens on my Pentax me super

Those Leica shots are great. Are most of those bodies pre-war designs? Id love to add some WWII era camera bodies to my collection but the price is woof

a dingus fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 15, 2023

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Thank you! I don't remember when all the letter updates were rolled out, I think IIIc was the last one before/during the war. You could also send in your body for an upgrade kit. Mine is an unmodified III with German markings (Z instead of B for bulb time, zu and auf on the bottom latch etc) with a serial date production year in 1935. Little weird to think about but whatever.

I like how (generally) affordable screw mount lenses are but if I had known more going in I probably would have gone for a Canon P just for quality of life improvements. As it stands I'll probably use this for a long time and look for an M mount body at some point in the future and get an adapter to keep using the lenses I have.

I'm a CNC machinist by trade but rarely have time for projects of my own, but whenever I do I'd like to make a double-shoe adapter - I ordered a modern digital lightmeter and I really like the idea of it sitting on the camera next to my big goofy universal viewfinder you can see in my picture. E: although now that I think about it that might introduce parallax issues... Dunno how drastic though.

Admiral Bosch fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 15, 2023

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Impulse bought a 35mm point and shoot and picked it up today. Ran a roll through it to make sure it works so now patiently waiting for that to come back hopefully in time to know its safe to take some pictures at holiday parties. I have a F100 and FE2 but those are a bit too cumbersome to try and take with me when walking with the dog and other places.

Here it is with my now expired and no longer made film and the new poo poo. Since I have Nikon glass for the fe2 and f100 I'm also tempted to grab a F3 to cover manual focus SLR body.

Also when looking at various film stuff on line it seems with the sous vide sticks people are finding C41 pretty easy to develop at home now so I might try and get a set up going for that later.

Heres a lab scan of my dog with some E100 that I forgot I took and developed a few years ago.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
E100 is GOAT & so is your dog. Also if you have a big spaghetti pot and appropriately sized chemical bottles you can stick the bottles into the pot with the stove on super low and get a nice consistent temperature. That's how I used to develop and I never had any big problems.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
Finally scanned two rolls of Santacolor 100 film I shot in the summer. The film is in reality Kodak Aerocolor IV which is an air surveillance film. It has a very red base which needs to be compensated while scanning and it has a ton of grain to my eyes for a ASA 100 film. I was looking at some family photos from 1990s shot on some probably pretty cheap film and I think it has kind of a similar look to those. Santacolor claims you can push it to 800 without messing up the colors but these are all shot at box speed.

Pretty nice summer film since it's so slow that you can use bigger apertures but I think overall I prefer the warm colors of Kodak Gold. When I preordered this everyone was out of color film and the big selling point was that this could be bought cheaper (or at all) than any other color film but now that availability is better I don't know if there's much point to it anymore. Kodak sells it only in massive bulk rolls and it has to be spooled by the distributor.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
That's super vibrant, though. I really enjoy how much those berries are popping out of the picture.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
Hello film thread! I spent the last year or so "dealing" with my anxiety by buying and trying a zillion old film cameras from eBay. I shot over 6000 frames on film according to my scans directory last year and it's been a lot of fun. I'm even starting to get to the point where I take a photo, it comes out how I pictured, and I actually like it!

Here's my current fav camera and daily driver, an F2 with a DP-1 finder:

Along with a gratuitous wide open shot:

I haven't had it long enough to take any shots I really want to show off, so here are some from other cameras over the past year that I really like:

Arista 400 - Canon EOS 1n

Adox CMS 20ii - Canon EOS 1n

Arista 400 - Ricoh Auto Half

And my favorite of all, this is one that I'd love to blow up to the size of a wall and have a look:

Arista 100 - 6x9 medium format - Franka Rolfix

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Silverfast users: How do they handle their licensing? If I buy a Mac OS license, do I need a separate license to use the software on Windows, or are they transferrable between OS's?

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
So I decided that slide film wasn't expensive enough for me and I wanted to try and make some videos. Does anyone mess around with 16mm? Is there a film or video thread? This is a Bell & Howell 70DR. Before Bell & Howell became some as-seen-on-TV brand that sells old people garbage they don't need they actually made some nice cameras. Apparently this one is the VW beetle of movie cameras, being designed in the 1920s and produced relatively unchanged until the 1970s.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

a dingus posted:

So I decided that slide film wasn't expensive enough for me and I wanted to try and make some videos. Does anyone mess around with 16mm? Is there a film or video thread? This is a Bell & Howell 70DR. Before Bell & Howell became some as-seen-on-TV brand that sells old people garbage they don't need they actually made some nice cameras. Apparently this one is the VW beetle of movie cameras, being designed in the 1920s and produced relatively unchanged until the 1970s.

Heyyy, I didn't mention it in my last couple posts but I'm also about to start dicking around with this poo poo. I picked up a Kodak Brownie 8mm(regular/double, not Super 8) for a few bucks at a flea market. It seems like it's going to be pricey no matter what, but shooting 16mm will probably be more readily available for you. The famous Dwayne's Photo develops movie film. To find any double 8 I had to order a roll+dev+scan bundle from FPP. It'll be a while before I really shoot it, I have a long ski weekend planned in February that I'll probably shoot the whole reel on.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Nice!! If the 16mm doesn't go terribly Ill probably mess with 8mm a bit too. This Revere 8 Model 44 was given to me by my grandfather and probably spent some time in Guam when he was in the Air Force during Korea. I didn't think you could get straight 8mm until I started getting into 16mm so good to know there's a place that not only sells but develops it.

Im not looking forward to seeing what the development and scanning costs are for the 300ft of film Ill have will be but :shrug:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Silverfast users: How do they handle their licensing? If I buy a Mac OS license, do I need a separate license to use the software on Windows, or are they transferrable between OS's?

I wound up emailing their support team. They said this: “As long as the computer supports the operating system you want to put the software on, you can install the software on both computers. The license is tied to the scanner (for the scanner software) but works on all Mac and Windows operating systems that shows supported. “

I didn’t realize they tied your license to the scanner but that kind of makes sense

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
It's actually tied to the model I think, not even the individual unit. I bought a scanner that came with it, returned it because of an issue, and got a new one, but didn't have to change my license from the key I got with the first

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

a dingus posted:

Haha I literally have just done the same thing, except with a Filmo 70DL. I’ll post more about it when it arrives.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just shot my first role tonight and it was an experience! Make sure your viewfinder lenses are indexed to your filming lenses. I'm pretty sure I shot half my role with the wrong lens so we'll see how it comes out. Also I can definitely appreciate having a reflex viewfinder because trying to keep things in focus while you're shooting is nearly impossible unless you stop and restart.

Edit: looks like the 70DL doesn't have a gear that automatically changes/indexes the viewfinder lens, so I'd recommend marking them somehow so you can quickly see if youre using the right viewfinder lens

a dingus fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 26, 2023

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

Got a shiny new lightmeter. Now I just need my buddy with a printer to make me a 2-to-1 adapter so I can use my universal viewfinder.

Edit: a short time later and my print is done. It's so goofy and I love it.

Admiral Bosch fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 27, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oooh who makes that light meter?

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
This guy. I found it in a review of different cold shoe mounted meters. Shipping to the states took... idk, two weeks maybe. Seems to be a pretty good quality product at least from using it today, we'll see how accurate it was. Til now I had either been doing sunny sixteen or using a free app on my phone.

https://hedeco.de/

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

I have the same light meter and it's really slick. My only complaint about it really is that it doesn't have a lock on the dial or a cap on shutter speed/f-stop, so if you leave it on while on a camera hanging off your neck, it'll rub up against your body and scroll to something silly like f/165 or something like that :v: Just need to remember to turn it off when you take your reading.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Lol I did notice that, but the screen does turn off after a few seconds so hopefully it won't be a huge issue going forward. There's also some screen lock functionality that I haven't messed with just yet.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Good lord that's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Admiral Bosch posted:

Got a shiny new lightmeter. Now I just need my buddy with a printer to make me a 2-to-1 adapter so I can use my universal viewfinder.

Edit: a short time later and my print is done. It's so goofy and I love it.

I know everyone is gushing about the lightmeter but I'm a fan of the VIOOH universal finder. I was originally looking for a KMZ turret finder because they increase/decrease the mag for the focal length but I found a VIOOH for cheaper so went with that. It's pretty bright given the age and apparently easier to clean. The ONLY downside is that you really are looking at the light at the end of the tunnel when using the 135mm setting.