Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Maybe I'll carry my camera and film separately in my smallest camera bag and just ask them to hand check that, rather than my whole big rear end backpack, 30 miles of cables and whatnot

No. Just give them your film in a clear plastic ziplock. No canisters or anything. Flew six times in the last couple of months (Denver, SF and Chicago) and didn't have an issue.

Made sure there was no film in my camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

^ Those are rad. Too bad about the line. I guess if you have a loupe, or something, try and see if it's on the negative.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

If you've got even a passing interest in doing B&W in the future, it might be worth it to grab a setup for developing your own. You can sometimes find little kits on Marketplace with a changing bag/tank. B&W is pretty forgiving and the chems generally have a long shelf life.

Was intimidated by this for years. Especially the thought of trying to get the film into the spool while using a changing bag. It turned out to be really easy. Just first practice a few times with a sacrificial roll.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

We have any opinion on buying used camera gear from Japan via eBay? I'm seeing excellent condition Nikon F4 bodies for ~$200, shipped, from sellers with good feedback. Versus $350 from Keh.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Wild that you can order something from Japan and have it show up 6 days later.

Just blew through a roll of film. This thing is a joy to use.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

New gear equals chasing the household around for snapshots. Seems everything is in working order.

And, while I was looking for something else, I found a Nikon 24mm f/2.8 D lens that I didn't know I owned.

Got water spots on some of the negatives. Going get some distilled water for the rinsing.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

The Clermont Lounge truly is both the best and the worst strip club in the world.

lollybo posted:

Whoa that sharpness owns. Is that 35mm or 120? Did you use a sharpening process?

Thanks! 35mm film. HP5+ at 400. Scanned with a Plustek 8200i. Think it was pretty much auto settings with tweaks to the black, mid and white points.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

afen posted:

It's not too shabby at all! I found it very easy to use, and most of the photos came ut great.

Portra 800:

UltraMax 400:

I really like these.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I've dealt with airport security in SF, Chicago, Philly, NYC and Paris, in the last six months. I keep my film in a clear ziplock bag without canisters or packaging. Haven't had an issue getting it checked by hand.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Is there a good guide on starting B&W development for someone who’s never done it?

I have a few rolls of ilford sitting around and it might be fun to develop them myself

If you want to hit the ground running, these two are all you need:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1519010-REG/paterson_ptp547u_film_processing_starter_kit.html
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/253370-REG/Paterson_PTP125.html

The one-shot dev kit is a bit over priced, but it's super convenient for getting started.

I'd just recommend sacrificing a roll of film to practice loading the reels with a few times. Once or twice outside the bag. And once or twice inside.

Oh and I also needed distilled water for the rinse. Otherwise I get spots.

Was just in Paris for a bit. Took some photos. Nikon F4, 50mm f/1.4, Ilford HP5+, Plustek 8200i.

Few more here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/milliron/albums/72177720315772628/

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Nikon F4 will work with G lenses but you can’t do manual or aperture priority. It has no way on the body to control the aperture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

a dingus posted:

The biggest thing I'd do differently is using a tripod for sure

Yeah, that immediately jumped out at me. So used to seeing super stable video. Adds to the retro feels though.