Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
So I'm one of those weirdos who is thinking about getting into film photography. Had a life event happen and realized I just have no physical pictures. (Yes I could just get digital pics printed, no that doesn't scratch the itch)

So my father in law said I could take one of his old cameras. There are three that are at all worth anything (not like monetarily, just in the sense of fixable/functional/not just old crap point and shoots)

Minolta SRT 200

Had a busted lens on it, clearly has something loose and broken in the view finder but not a broken glass just some strip of metal. Seems to be in slightly better shape than the next .

Minolta SRT 201

Back cover held on with tape, pulled that off and it will close fully with some effort. Viewfinder and lens are in better shape seemingly (as in not literally falling apart) but looks more heavily used so not sure.

Argoflex 75mm

Best shape of the three but kinda gimmicky looking and not sure if I wanna just straight into medium format.

So the question: I've heard that the minoltas are worth using but these will need some repairs or at least a thorough cleaning and maintenance. Is it worth spending the money on that or just getting a serviced one online that'll work right away or just something else entirely to avoid starting out with a headache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

a dingus posted:

What's your budget for getting a decent working camera? Personally I'd shoot a roll on the srt 201 to see if it even works well or not. If it's got issues then you can weigh your options from there. I spent $300 between the two of my Pentax bodies getting them cleaned and serviced, and that didn't include anything to do with the lenses.

For a budget to get started, probably around $200-300. I found a few independent camera stores nearby that do service and repairs, so I may at least go get a quote, though having a reference point for how they currently work might be good.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Megabound posted:

However, for like a quarter of the price of a service you could get a known working SRT to cut your teeth on to see if you even get along with the camera. I'm a Minolta diehard and while I paid for my 303b to be serviced that's because it's a camera I'm never going to part with, I will absolutely not be able to recoup the cost of the service in sale.

What are some reputable second hand camera shops online? Looking around it seems like the range is under $50 for "as is" no claim to level of function to $200+ for verified working cameras. Unless that's what you mean when it comes to how much service will cost.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Megabound posted:

I don't go to online shops, join your local film photography Facebook page and there'll be a bunch of photographers selling to other photographers, if you say you're looking for a starter SLR someone will probably offer you a great deal.

Thanks for the tip.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also passed over this when digging through the cameras they had because I assumed it was just obsolete and not notable, but the FIL also had a Polaroid Automatic 100 (and another very early large polaroid I'd have to go back and check).

I assume outside of a very difficult and niche application that's not worth much?