Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm a little curious about doing film photography, but I feel like it would only be worth it to try if I also dove into doing my own B&W development in my garage, so that the experience truly is different from my beloved R6ii. If I want to just slow down and take photos more carefully, I can just force myself to do so when I am out shooting with made up rules.

Is developing your own film at home hard? Is it really error-prone, easy to gently caress up your prints? Also, you can develop a negative as many times as you want, right, so if you blow out the exposure on a print you can just start over. Whenever I used to get film developed from CVS back in the day, they would return the developed photos and the negatives. Or is developing a negative and turning it into a larger print a totally different process and once you develop your negative, the exposure, highlights, contrast, etc is set?

blue squares fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

You can expose a negative as many times as you want but you can only develop it once. Developing is the process of making the film inert as you probably already know. I can't answer your other questions beyond to say b/w is infinitely less complex than colour developing and I was doing b/w dev in a high school course without issue so probably anyone can do it.

I think I'm mixing up developing and printing. You develop a negative and then it is what it is. You can scan it digitally (and further edit) to print, or print it from a negative using the traditional non-digital method

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Why is scanning so unenjoyable?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

big black turnout posted:

You don't even need a tent, just a changing bag that can fit on a kitchen counter

you'd need a tent for the printing, though, (I think) which to me seems like the most fun part (speaking as someone whose understanding of film developing comes from watching movies where characters stand in a red-lit darkroom and hold up strips of negatives)