Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
I know Cinestill is supposed to be evil, but shot my first roll of it and liked how several turned out. I know they aren't perfectly sharp I shot all of them handheld, but I was usually out and about

Also open to feedback- what do you think of the last one? I don't really know what my subject was supposed to be, but I thought it would be a unique perspective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008

Recoome posted:

I've been mucking around with a 1938 Leica IIIa I was given. I've chucked the 50mm f2.8 Elmar from 1958 I bought for my IIIg originally, although I have a '49 Summitar which is now almost always mounted to it. These were taken on God's Own Film (Fomapan 100).

The other oddball I have is I recently acquired a Leica M1 - it's an M2 sans rangefinder. I'm not sold on the M over my screwmount Leicas for a stack of reasons (the RF telescope on the screwmounts are great), but I can get why the M has a real following. This was definitely shot on a roll of Fomapan 100, but I can't remember if this is on the f2.8 Elmar or the Jupiter-12.

I just bought a iiif last month for myself. Shot my first roll of film and eagerly awaiting for it to get developed. What are the risk of light leaks on this camera? I have the older version of your lens, the Elmar is legendary though and what put Leica on the map.

Both of your pictures look great. Did you have to get a new rangefinder mirror on yours? I bought from KEH the initial one was rated “excellent” and the mirror was in terrible shape, they have a great exchange policy and sent me another one in great shape, bright mirror and I suspect it had been CLAed as it functions more smoothly.

lollybo fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 12, 2023

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
Just got a test roll developed from my 1950s Leica IIIF. No light leaks, and my exposures generally looked good though a few may be off by a stop or two. I generally relied on the sunny 16 rule, and a light meter on my cell phone when the scene has difficult lighting or too high of a dynamic range.

Shot on Leica Elmar, I have an uncoated version from the 1930s, people said you can get more contrast out of this lens with a hood. I kind of like the old timey low contrast look. Overall I'm impressed with the look, not the sharpest by today's standards, but the lens is almost 100 years old at this point.

Now that I know my camera doesn't have light leaks, I can focus on composition and try to take better photos

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008

I like all your photos, but especially this one- I liked the chiaroscuro as well as the subtle subject of the woman in the middle. Which film did you use to take this one?

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008

a dingus posted:

I developed a roll of ektachrome from October-ish and figured I'd share a couple of the shots I liked best. Sometimes I have an idea and take a picture but it doesn't really translate to how I want it. Like the composition is off or theres no main focus on anything. For example, the picture of the road and the picture of the cows. They were both nice scenes but not as cool as I thought they'd turn out. On the other hand I like the shot of my bike and it came out marginally better than I expected. It was the end of the work day and I raced sunset to grab a picture before it got totally dark. I missed the right lighting a little but it was mostly supposed to be a fun ride to kill the last couple frames I had on the roll.

I really like the look of this film! Really cool color. I think your motorcycle shot would benefit from a closer crop (I took the liberty to try it)- it makes the fall foliage and motorcycle larger in proportion, and I would argue they are the more interesting subjects, the road being less interesting. You may have been using a fixed focal length camera, but I still think it's okay to crop film photos. You can lift your shadows if you want, but I like the cool darker look with the bike in shadows, that's a stylistic choice.

Perhaps the one with the fence and tree would look better with a closer crop too?

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008

Admiral Bosch posted:

Finally got my Leica III back from being serviced locally(don't ask me why a leica iii was what i ended up starting with, i bought it on a whim when I didn't know poo poo about poo poo). Been like 6 months, the shop I went to is run by one guy who only takes cash and it's literally like walking out of a time machine when you go in there. Cool shop, just took a while. Anyway, looking forward to shooting some film again and being told it all looks terrible.

I read the OP and wow I'm glad I never got around to buying any Cinestill rolls. Will be telling my(vanishingly small group of) film friends about that immediately. I came across Atlanta Film Company yesterday while perusing available film stocks and bought a few rolls of ECN2 stuff and some repackaged expired Fuji 125T. Hopefully they aren't secretly terrible.

My dad also bought me a Canon 85mm f1.9 as a Christmas present. Can't wait for that to show up.

Nice camera! I also got a iiif earlier this year. The shots I showed the last page was also done with this camera and Elmar 3.5. Another poster had Leica iii shots too to share.

The camera is just really nostalgic and fun to use. I am really happy with the pictures the pre World War II lens can produce.

What is that epic looking lens you have in that picture? What other lenses are you planning on getting? There are a few Russian lenses that are decent and pretty cheap. I have an industar 61D that is usually on my Zorki that is compatible.

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
I bought a color skopar 35 2.5 for my IIIf. Ended up making one of those viewfinders from a scavenged Canon owl. I love the mix of old and less old, German and Japanese. Something cool about using glass made in 2000s with a camera where you still have to cut the film leaders, and the highest ISO rating recorded is 100. I'm interested in how the pictures will turn out. I have two pictures, one with the lens hood and one without. Is it kosher to walk around with a UV filter for lens protection without a cap over it and using the filter alone for protection? My seller was nice enough to include 3 nice UV filters. I'm thinking of wearing it under my jacket as well.

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008

These are some gorgeous photos dude, congrats! I ran a roll of HP5 through my IIIF with 1930s Elmar lens. Pretty happy with the vintage look and good sharpness of such an old lens.

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008

Megabound posted:

This is why the Canon VL is the superior LTM rangefinder

I agree the Canon's have quality of life improvements, I choose Barnack Leicas as they are fun to shoot, the quirks are what makes using it interesting. I know the product can be replicated by using the same vintage glass in other camera bodies, but I argue folks who choose rangefinders over SLRs in a way are sacrificing convenience for the artform of photography itself. It's like choosing to drive a stick shift, vintage carburetor run car. If I wanted convenience and a more modern camera, I would get a Voigtlander Bessa R, or better yet, get thread mount adapters for an M camera. You will get a lightmeter, as well as combined rangefinder/viewfinder. But I agree if you want a copy of a Barnack Leica that exceeds the original it tried to copy in many ways, Canons are the good choice, but they aren't Leica.

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008

dema posted:

New gear equals chasing the household around for snapshots. Seems everything is in working order.

And, while I was looking for something else, I found a Nikon 24mm f/2.8 D lens that I didn't know I owned.

pictures

Got water spots on some of the negatives. Going get some distilled water for the rinsing.

Whoa that sharpness owns. Is that 35mm or 120? Did you use a sharpening process?

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
More shots on obsolete gear. First 4 were leica IIIf with voigtlander color skopar 35mm. To be honest, I feel my 90 year old Elmar is sharper when pixel peeping, but in practicality it doesn't matter. Lens does have some heavy vignetting though. Last pic was on a canon 1.4 LTM lens. All photos even the night ones were on Portra, turns out you don't need Cinestill for halation!

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008

Admiral Bosch posted:

Gang. I was thinking about picking up an Ultron 35 aspherical for mine but I decided to upgrade my collapsible soviet 50mm instead.

Canon 50mm f1.4 with a hood and a few filters. Should make me shoot 50 more often, I didn't really like the Elmar knockoff as it required sticking your fingers next to the front element to change apertures.

I swear to god, one day I will have some pictures to post here. The local place(Mike's Camera in boulder) had their C41 machine go down so they had to send my first post-CLA test roll to another location, it's been just about a month on the dot. Called on Monday and they said it should be in the mail yesterday, if it's not here by tomorrow I'll call again. I also have a roll of pushed 500t ECN2 sent out and am mailing a couple more rolls somewhere else after work this afternoon.

Sorry this is an older post, I just bought a canon 1.4 (one of my above photos was taken with it) after seeing multiple positive reviews. It blocks the finder on the Leica III however, how did you get past that part? I ordered a voigtlander Kontur finder, but it’s hard to get used to.

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
I know Cinestill is supposed to be evil

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Have they actually taken action on any other companies that are re-spooling cinema film? It feels like they just made a bunch of noise about it and then backed down.

I haven’t heard of other companies losing actually losing money, which is a good thing. I think the film industry should be supportive of each other to keep it going as long as possible.

Thanks for the compliment- I shoot for fun. I bought a medium format camera and I’m eager to start using it as well. I’m more of a street photography type of shooter so not sure how lugging around a huge camera is going to go.

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008

Megabound posted:

Which camera? My Bronica S2 is the biggest I'd take on holiday but I recently got a Moskva-5 and it's 6x9 and very light and compact.

Very nice that’s quite an advanced camera! How do you like it? I got a Mamiya RZ67 and that thing is quite a tank. I felt pretty conspicuous walking around in a park. Other than the size, this thing is a joy to use. I do have a Zeiss Ikon Nettax coming in the mail that should be smaller.

https://www.cameracenterofyork.com/hats/zeiss-ikon-nettax-75mm-f45?utm_medium=email&utm_source=customer_notification

theHUNGERian posted:

I recently picked up a Bessa II and holy crap is that thing tiny. As in, it is not significantly bigger than my A7R3.

Nice I have seen that camera during my own research, please share photos you take in this thread. I figure the Zeiss Ikon I got has a similar form factor and these cameras are the better choice than cameras like the Hasselblad for long hikes

lollybo fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 29, 2024

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
I noticed a small wrinkle in my Leica IIIf cloth shutter. I honestly don't remember if this was already present when I got my camera. I hope I didn't accidentally damage it if I was putting on and removing collapsible lenses on it.

Send it in or keep shooting? I favor keep shooting as I suspect it was like this prior. My pictures seem to be just fine with the camera.

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
I love vintage cameras, and loved seeing the prior posts on the Praktica, and retina cameras. Crazy how good images produced from these old cameras still are! I have a few pictures I took on an Industar 61 lens on a Zorki 4k. Sorry for horizon not being level- the viewfinder sucks.

Does anyone have experience shooting expired film, specifically Fujifilm Pro400H? I really wanted to try this film, with Fujifilm putting a hiatus on production I bought some with expiration date 2021 off Ebay. The seller was nice and threw in some Portra 800H expired in 10/2023 which I think shouldn't be too bad, as well as a black and white Cinestill film expired 10/2023 as well.

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
Definitely have some GAS right now, on a roll with buying old film cameras. Got an M3 from KEH and first roll developed off of it. Pretty happy with how these turned out. The Zeiss ZM lens has good contrast and saturation. I love how film naturally handles high dynamic range scenes well.

I bought a 5 pack of Velvia off Adorama on backorder. Who knows when it will actually show up. I'm thinking of stocking up on Fujifilm due to the hysteria of them possibly stopping their film production.

I got an old Nikon FE2 off ebay. It seems to be working, but the mirror bumper is disintegrating so I need to buy one of those light seal kits and redo the seals. Theres some crud transferred to the mirror- any advice on how to clean it? I don't want to scratch the mirror.

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
A kid off Facebook marketplace was selling a box of vintage Kodak cameras for $100 that belonged to his father.

One of the cameras is one of those motion picture cameras. It seemed to be working okay when I messed around with it. Several of the cameras worked but had slow shutter speeds I can imagine the lube is very dried up. There's a bunch of folding cameras that I haven't even figured out how to open yet. It has a Land Camera 150 as well in decent condition, that shoots roll film that is no longer made (apparently can convert it to shoot 120 film) The film was interestingly still in the camera but it looked used up

This is cool, film expired in 1931! Part of me is curious to see if it can still be shot and developed

Interestingly, I opened up the box that appeared to be a camera box. It ended up being an entire box of Kodachrome slides!

I offered to give the slides back if they had memories, but he didn't want them and said I can "throw them away". I definitely don't think I will be throwing these away. I can separate the slides that appear to have family members or key memories to give him back later. Hopefully I can find a Kodak carousel and view some of these slides.

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
Some dilapidated rusty things...

And some nicer Spring things...

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
Wow that is the first place I found to have Velvia actually in stock. 30 dollars for a roll of 35mm is crazy, but I ponied up the cash as who knows when it will be next available…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008

afen posted:

I tried a roll of Ilford XP2, and I really like the type of contrast this film has.
pics

Wow these are gorgeous! I really like all of them. What developer did you use?

I ordered some Velvia and it came into my mailbox over the weekend (Saturday). I was out of town this weekend so the film was sitting in the mailbox until I got back today (Monday night) where I live in the Southeast, it dipped into the low 80s for a few hours in the afternoons. Would the film still be good? Looking back, I wish I asked a neighbor to bring them in.