Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

blue squares posted:

I'm a little curious about doing film photography, but I feel like it would only be worth it to try if I also dove into doing my own B&W development in my garage, so that the experience truly is different from my beloved R6ii. If I want to just slow down and take photos more carefully, I can just force myself to do so when I am out shooting with made up rules.

Is developing your own film at home hard? Is it really error-prone, easy to gently caress up your prints? Also, you can develop a negative as many times as you want, right, so if you blow out the exposure on a print you can just start over.

You can expose a negative as many times as you want but you can only develop it once. Developing is the process of making the film inert as you probably already know. I can't answer your other questions beyond to say b/w is infinitely less complex than colour developing and I was doing b/w dev in a high school course without issue so probably anyone can do it.

e: sorry I don't know why I used the word expose, I meant you can make prints any number of times, obv you can only expose a neg in the camera.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

blue squares posted:

I think I'm mixing up developing and printing. You develop a negative and then it is what it is. You can scan it digitally (and further edit) to print, or print it from a negative using the traditional non-digital method

Yeah sorry I used the wrong word and added an edit to my post. You have it correct here.

I've always had a lab dev my film and then I scan it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Agreed scanning is boring, printing is fun though! I like being able to get a physical product out of the process

I find scanning fun and printing stressful! At least I can get the scan dialed in without spending money.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

carticket posted:

I checked the Yashica light meter against that phone app, and they both reported the same. I checked my Zeiss Bullseye against that app and the camera meter read a few stops low. I did some reading from a guy that repairs these cameras and apparently the meters are just awful in the context of modern film speeds and only really good with sub-100 ISO films. I think I used to use that meter, but I can't remember. I'll have to experiment with it once I'm developing my own film again.

You also don't know how center-weighted the camera meter is vs the other methods. Just shoot Portra 400 and leave the meters at home!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I finally bit the bullet and bought Silverfast, since Its on sale through the end of the year.

Its first job was to scan in some old B&W negatives I shot in highschool. I noticed, however that there is a faint blue streak about a quarter of the way up from the bottom of each picture. Its in the same place in each frame, so I have to assume its the scanner. Is this dust on the sensor? How do I go about troubleshooting this.

Scanner is an Epson V370 Photo

Do you see it if you hold the negative up to the light?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The issue with the pentax 67 isn't the mass of the camera itself it's if you want to bring a few lenses along. They're all bricks.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

grilledcheese posted:

this does make me feel better thank you and so sorry for your losses.

^ yes I'm now planning on getting these serviced! If anyone has a recommendation for Vancouver let me know.

Myself and another poster ITT are from Vancouver, I would just say be aware that if you send your camera out of country for service, you'll be charged customs on it when it comes back. I sent my 67 to Eric at pentaxs.com and had to pay an extra $80 on top of the ~$500 repair/CLA. I'm not really aware of a good place for your camera locally but I've been out of the game a couple years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I got my film back from my California trip, and I'm disappointed to find that most of them are underexposed. They were all shot on my ME Super on auto mode for simplicities sake, but it looks like either the meter is off in the camera, or the shutter is fast (I'm imagining shutters normally fail to a slower speed, rather than faster?). I'll have to see if I can rescue them in Lightroom.

I guess I'm glad I got the EOS1, which almost has to have a more accurate meter than the ME. Maybe I'll shoot a roll completely manually metered on the ME and see if its the shutter or meter thats messing me up.

ALSO, is it a valid test to take my 5D and my EOS1 out and compare their metering results (assuming the same lens on both)? My 5D meters fine, so I'd guess if I set it to the same ISO as the EOS1 I could use it to validate the metering on the EOS1?

Yes you can test it that way. Ideally the same corrected focal length so you on don't get a different scene to meter.

When you say you got your film back, you mean just negatives that you're going to scan right? You're not talking about prints? If it's the latter the negs may be properly exposed.