Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I got a Pentax Spotmatic F somewhere years back and never really shot it (I think I acquired my Yashica TLR at the same time and got hooked on 120). I took it with on a weekend trip to Monterey, though, and goddamn I don't know why I was neglecting this thing. I shot a roll doing Sunny 16 and it's just a joy to use. Apparently they did a good job on the metering circuit too so it'll work with modern alkaline 625 batteries? I'll find out soon.

I've got a 50mm f1.4 Super Takumar lens on it, which is kinda all I've ever shot on a 35mm. I'm thinking I'd like to get a couple more primes, what would you guys start with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

field balm posted:

yeah I've got the takumar 28mm 3.5 and it's great

Looks like I can pick one up on ebay for about $60 which is pretty tempting. 58 and 45 seem so drat close to 50, I'd rather go a little further afield.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Oh, I finally got around to finishing out a test roll in the thrift shop XA2 I bought like 5 years ago... it was really hard to rewind and it was so noisy I was certain it was just tearing up the film inside, but when I developed the roll it was just fine, no apparent scratches, no mangling on the sprocket holes. Any ideas what might have been going on? It sounded so nasty I'm hesitant to run another roll through, but I just can't find anything that seems broken or dirty.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Stand dev is easy and looks good, but I only have one steel 120 reel and it's killing me to work my way through this backlog.

I've really come to hate my Paterson tank so instead I ordered more steel reels. I've got a 2L tank and 8x 35mm reels, but somehow only had the one for 120.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Is there a good guide on starting B&W development for someone who’s never done it?

I have a few rolls of ilford sitting around and it might be fun to develop them myself

I am deeply lazy and also frequently use Sunny-16 "metering" so I use rodinal stand development exclusively. Results are... good enough that I don't bother with anything else.

The only downside is that it takes over an hour, so trying to crank through a stack of exposed film takes a while.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Megabound posted:

Did some printing today off 6x9 to 12x16

I'd like to know more about whatever you used to do this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I know we all complain about the price of film and the cost of development and all that, but also, who here will just blow through the end of the roll so they can either move on to a new film stock, get the roll developed or otherwise get it out of their camera for whatever reason?

I just blew 6 frames so I could swap in some black and white. I feel bad about it, and they aren't complete trash photos, but if I wasn't trying to get to the end of a roll, I wouldn't have taken them.

Film is a cruel mistress

that's why I was kind of excited when my latest order of Arista film from Freestyle came in reusable cans (apparently they're having some trouble getting the regular kind)

It's an excuse to eventually buy a bulk loader and start making my own 18-exposure rolls. Or 10...