Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I put all my film in a clear ziplock and hand that off for hand check. No problems yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Megabound posted:

Here's the secret, all cameras have good (prime) lenses and most (prime) lenses have been good for at least 100 years. Don't stress too much about it.

Yeah don’t bother with the MD zooms they’re not good but the primes are great

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

I shot a roll on the most gorgeous day in one of the most gorgeous areas of Iceland, went to rewind it at the end of the day and discovered that the reel didn’t grab the film and I spent all day not noticing that :shepface:

I took a bajillion shots with my digital along the way so all was not lost but still

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

New camera just dropped

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/retro-camera-31147

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

carticket posted:

So, I am a Nikon guy, film and digital. I have my grandfather's FM, and so far that has influenced what I buy for lenses. However, I have access to a full frame digital and there are some lenses I'd like to get for it, but they won't be usable on the FM due to the lack of aperture ring. What Nikon 35mm bodies are able to take advantage of these lenses (would be AF-S I believe)? I have a huge gap in knowledge between the FM and the D70S (which was my first Nikon DSLR) in terms of compatibility and technology.

E: Sorry, I could just look that up. I'm also looking for advice on which ones would be a good buy. I do action photography on the digital side, and also usually shoot a roll or two of film, but the lack of AF kills me on getting much good on film.

I have an N80 that works with all the modern AF-S. It’s alright but you can tell it was the cheap one. I know the F6 does if you want to drop the money for it, maybe F4 or F5 as well?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

I’ve only ever seen DIY conversion adventures but neither have I looked very hard

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

What would y’all suggest as a low-entry 35mm rangefinder?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

My initial search did zoom in on the QL19 and RC, I don’t hate the idea of something small and simple, I’ve already got three SLRs :jeb:

Edit: is it worthwhile avoiding things with old battery types or is finding replacements not that bad?

Edit edit: looks like there are same-voltage replacements for the dreaded mercury batteries

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Slavvy posted:

I have a dumb question.

Let's say I'm taking a landscape shot with focus set to infinity, using a platonically ideal tripod on a still day, so there is zero camera movement and I have no concerns about achieving a particular DOF.

If I can get the right exposure with both eg 1000 shutter speed and a relatively open aperture vs 500 and a smaller aperture, is there any optical quality reason I'd choose one over the other? Or will both result in identical photos?

There’s a certain aperture the lens will be sharpest at so ideally you look up what that is for your lens and set the shutter around that