Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s probably worth noting that in the US most Wal-Marts carry Fuji 400 35mm film.

For those starting out it’s easy to just grab some when you’re testing your camera and learning the ropes.

Also I’d like to personally note that the Pentax ME Super is a fantastic camera that made me fall back in love with photography after quite a significant hiatus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Agreed scanning is boring, printing is fun though! I like being able to get a physical product out of the process

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

All my prints look like rear end but I still love them

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I saw the grainydays video in my feed and it’s genuinely cool how stoked the Ilford chemists seem to be trying a new thing

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do they sell it online at all? The nearest store I can find with it on their website is down in Chicago

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I also love bin

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Silverfast users: How do they handle their licensing? If I buy a Mac OS license, do I need a separate license to use the software on Windows, or are they transferrable between OS's?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Silverfast users: How do they handle their licensing? If I buy a Mac OS license, do I need a separate license to use the software on Windows, or are they transferrable between OS's?

I wound up emailing their support team. They said this: “As long as the computer supports the operating system you want to put the software on, you can install the software on both computers. The license is tied to the scanner (for the scanner software) but works on all Mac and Windows operating systems that shows supported. “

I didn’t realize they tied your license to the scanner but that kind of makes sense

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oooh who makes that light meter?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Based on their hashtags I’m gonna guess Kodak, maybe Gold or Portra?

Either way, the “look” that they have is probably more from Lightroom than the film.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I finally bit the bullet and bought Silverfast, since Its on sale through the end of the year.

Its first job was to scan in some old B&W negatives I shot in highschool. I noticed, however that there is a faint blue streak about a quarter of the way up from the bottom of each picture. Its in the same place in each frame, so I have to assume its the scanner. Is this dust on the sensor? How do I go about troubleshooting this.

Scanner is an Epson V370 Photo

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TheLastManStanding posted:

Assuming it's the same as my V600, when you turn the scanner on it will do a quick calibration test; if there is dust in the calibration zone it will throw off the calibration and you'll get a weird line as a result.

I’ll check to make extra sure the platen is clean, I did forget to wipe it down last night.

VelociBacon posted:

Do you see it if you hold the negative up to the light?

I didn’t put them on my light table but with just a quick peek in the room lighting they looked ok

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I went back and looked closely at some scans I did about a month back and the line is there too. Those were scanned with the epson software, so it’s not SilverFast. Also the negatives are color and about 25 years younger than the B&W negatives where I first noticed the problem.

This is looking like the scanner itself.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 31, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Forseti posted:

Is this an epson? I have a V550 I got off eBay and it had streaks that looked like dead pixels on the sensor or something when I first got it. Turned out to be dirt on the sensors at the top of the bed, the two little squares. I just swabbed them with an alcohol q-tip and it fixed up the issue for me.

Edit: derp, you said it's an epson!

I’m guessing that’s it. I’ll look into how to get it apart to clean the sensor.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thoughts on getting film through airport security (meaning X-rays)? I have a trip to LA coming up in a bit, and I plan to bring my ME Super and some rolls of film with, but I've never traveled with film before. Do I need to worry about running film through the x-ray scanners at the airport? If so, whats the recommended way to get it through security?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Maybe I'll carry my camera and film separately in my smallest camera bag and just ask them to hand check that, rather than my whole big rear end backpack, 30 miles of cables and whatnot

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TSA security person hands me my bag

“Your film has been exposed to 3.6 Roentgen, not great, not terrible”

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They have cloth shutters? drat

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'll throw my hat in the ring for Pentax K-mount glass, the primes anyway, look and feel much more expensive than they actually are these days, which is nice.

By the way, who wants to sell me a 28mm 2.8 Pentax-M lens?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Thoughts on getting film through airport security (meaning X-rays)? I have a trip to LA coming up in a bit, and I plan to bring my ME Super and some rolls of film with, but I've never traveled with film before. Do I need to worry about running film through the x-ray scanners at the airport? If so, whats the recommended way to get it through security?

Someone has just posted a (somewhat) scientific test of running a bunch of different film brands and ISO's through the scanners at the Berlin airport. She shoots a bunch of control rolls, then sends a second set of those same shots through the scanners. I have it timestamped for the results, but the rest of it is interesting to watch if not only for the fact that as an American I cant imagine getting through security 6 times in a row without getting arrested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRlReCTzDV8&t=1216s

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 19, 2024

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That sort of reminded me, does anyone know of any good film photography groups that do photo walks in the MKE to CHI area? I'm in Milwaukee, but I'd definitely drive to Chicago for one

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have a V370 as well and it’s………….fine. I don’t have a DSLR with live view, nor do I have a macro lens, so DSLR scanning is out, and a V600 or higher is just really pricey

So, I feel you, is what I’m saying

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

By all measure the V800 is really good, so other than workflow speed, you might not stand to gain much with DSLR scanning

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Relevant to the thread. Turns out flash bulbs are wild:

Mr.Radar posted:

The latest Technology Connections video on flash bulbs is great, he teamed up with the Slow Mo Guys to film them in 200k FPS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEm-2giH_zw

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Have they actually taken action on any other companies that are re-spooling cinema film? It feels like they just made a bunch of noise about it and then backed down.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I could be convinced that this is a painting

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm just gonna put this out there: the floppy mavica is the most bad rear end camera there :colbert:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

We used to have one at a company I worked for, not only with the floppies to shoot on, but the goofy rear end sony memorystick magic-gate whatever memory stick for when you didnt feel like waiting for the floppy. I genuinely loved shooting on that camera.

In weird point and shoot news, I am searching for a good everyday carry film P&S, and so far my thrift store search has brought me a Pentax IQZoom 110, which I really like, but it has a cracked hinge on the film door, which I didnt notice until after I had already bought it. Its nice though, it has a bulb mode, and a really long lens. I'm worried about light leaks though

Today the thrift store gods brought me a Canon SureShot 76 Zoom. It appears to be physically fine, and is in fantastic cosmetic shape. The lens isnt as long as the Pentax, and it doesnt have a macro mode as far as I can tell, like the Pentax has, but it does have a date mode that understands 2024, unlike the Pentax (I'm sure it thinks its 1924, but when its only printing the last two numbers, that doesnt matter) and it has physical controls for some things rather than all buttons, and it has a really nice viewfinder.

We'll see if it works out

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Went on a film run this morning, and my local walmart seems to have stopped stocking 35mm film? I didnt see a place on the shelf for it at least. They seem to have gone all in on Instax and Polaroid, which I'm not mad about, but they used to stock 3-packs of Fuji 400, which was great for testing cameras, and putting P&S cameras through their paces.

Thankfully my local Walgreens is keeping it real and stocking Ultramax 400, but single rolls only. Oh well, I guess thats what the Canon P&S is getting tested with.

Either way, I'm hoping my local walmart is just out of stock or transitioning to a different brand or something, they still have a ton of 35mm disposables on the shelves, but if they stop carrying 35mm altogether, that would suck

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Will the digitaliza work with the lower end Epson scanners that only have a slot for the top light? Does the 600 light the entire top platen?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Film friends, what’s your recommended camera shop in Los Angeles? I’m headed there in a bit with my ME Super and I’d like to check out some film-friendly shops, pick up some rolls and maybe peruse some K-Mount lenses or something

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s on my list to buy, but Pentax’s 28mm M lens is apparently awesome

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ugh, I wasted the first couple shots of a roll of Portra 800. It wasn’t loaded right, so I think I shot like a quadruple exposure on one frame, then to fix it I had to open the back and reload the film, which was already pulled out a couple frames before it let go of the winder.

So like 6-8 wasted frames. Thanks a lot, hands!!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone here shooting an EOS1N?

I’m pretty heavily invested in the canon ecosystem having gone from a Rebel XS to a T3i and now to a 5D MK1

I love my ME Super, but it would be nice to be able to shoot film with all of my canon gear, along with having good autofocus and more advanced metering. My understanding is that the EOS1N is similarly beefy as and functionally similar to canons digital pro cameras like the 5D?

Anyone have any thoughts on them?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beve Stuscemi posted:

To circle way back on this, I went through security twice with a bag of film and both times, at MKE and at SAN they were happy to hand scan it with no drama around what ISO it was or anything like that.

San Diego even has signs up about asking to hand scan film if it’s over 800 iso.

Overall very easy, although I’m sure ymmv somewhat depending on how the particular TSA agent feels that day.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Help! I keep finding weird film cameras at thrift stores!

I picked up an Olympus IS-1 today, it’s in fantastic shape and looks hardly used at all, which is why I decided to grab it.

It’s a bridge camera, so has the features of an SLR with a non-removable lens. Reviews of the day say it had really good optics for what it was, and a full manual mode makes it more interesting to me.

I loaded it up with some expired Kodak 400 and some batteries and all seems to work great on it, we’ll see how the pictures come out.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FreudianSlippers posted:

Looks like someone put two different cameras in a teleporter and they got merged.

I love it.

It really does look like the lovechild of a camcorder and an SLR, especially from the side that shows the extremely “your parents ancient shoulder-mounted VHS camcorder” zoom button

From the top it looks like some sort of land speed record sidecar

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Help! I keep finding weird film cameras at thrift stores!

I picked up an Olympus IS-1 today

I shot a whole roll of Kodak Max 400 through the IS-1 today. That’s a lot for me, usually rolls will last me a while.

It’s actually a pretty fun camera to shoot with. In P mode it’s as easy as any point n shoot, and in aperture priority and manual mode, it really does feel like an SLR.

It’s got a satisfying shutter/mirror thunk, and the autofocus while not the fastest, was quite accurate in my experience. It really only totally blew the focus one time, shooting out onto Lake Michigan where I think it was having trouble distinguishing how far the water was away from it, which I can understand given that the blue sky and blue water sort of meld together.

I was able to fix it by putting it in manual focus mode and just focusing out to infinity

The viewfinder is quite useful as well, with the aperture, shutter speed, exposure, focus lock and a few other things displayed in it.

I’m not super stoked about the metering display in the viewfinder, it’s simply a + or - for over/underexposure when you’re in manual mode. No indication of how many steps you’re over or under exposed, so sometimes you have to adjust quite a bit to get the exposure right. There is also no way to manually set the ISO. You can tell the camera to do exposure compensation, which sort of covers for that, but this probably isn’t the ideal camera for pushing film or shooting really expired film.

Overall, as a bridge camera, it was designed with P (auto) mode in mind, and it really wants you to shoot that way. It will absolutely let you do everything in manual mode (short of setting ISO), but it’s easiest in P mode. I didn’t get to play much with the macro modes, it can shoot macros both in wide and telephoto, and is apparently pretty decent at it.

I’ll probably load it back up tonight and shoot some more with it, because overall it’s a pretty fun camera to carry around. I might try some low light stuff because the manual shutter speeds go to something crazy like 30 seconds.

For a cheap thrift store find, I’m happy!

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 29, 2024

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Boy howdy am I jealous of that leather Olympus bag. That’s awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That’s a very cool shot