Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Bought a camera at an antique store today because I wanted the lens, but now I have a film camera body sitting around as a bonus. Hopefully this doesn't awaken anything in me. I looked at how much film costs and boy howdy it is not going to awaken anything in me :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

a dingus posted:

If you approach film photos the way you would with a digital camera you're gonna have a bad/expensive time. The fun comes from being very deliberate in what you shoot, enjoying the anticipation of getting your film developed and then revealing what you created. I might use 1 or 2 rolls a month which is like $25-$50 if I'm not trying to save money at all. IMO not terribly expensive relative to other hobbies.

Yeah we'll see what I do with it. I did buy a roll of Lomochrome Metropolis because my favorite custom Fuji film sim is intended to replicate it, so I'm curious to compare them. But mostly it was a nice Super-Takumar 55 for cheap.

Neat to look at too. My film days were pinhole cameras, disposables, and lovely fixed lenses in 35 and 110, I never played with the slightly more elaborate film cameras.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 4, 2024

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The light meter on my film camera is busted and the phone app I got does not line up very well with what my digital camera meters at, my phone camera is trash so it probably isn't detecting light properly. So I'm just going to sunny 16 and zone system raw dog it and see what happens.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Finally finished a cheap roll in my Pentax, now to run one through the Minolta and find out if I got light leaks or some other bullshit.

Shame you guys missed out on me trying to wind the film back in before I went online and found out there's a rewind lock button on the bottom.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Dumb question time but the internet is just AI articles: when people talk about for example shooting a 400 film at 800, it is literally just setting the camera to 800 and shooting as if that were the speed of the film, right? So it's basically just like using a stop of exposure compensation on digital? I know pushing ISO is about developing.

I also got some expired film from a relative, I assume I'm going to want to overexpose that a bit. It wasn't stored in a freezer or anything so it's definitely degraded some.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 27, 2024

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

big black turnout posted:

Re: pushing: you shoot the film as if it's 400 iso and it's important that you or your lab know that it was pushed because development also needs to be adjusted

Okay, now I'm confused about a different thing. I thought pushing just meant leaving it in the developer longer, you could do that to any film regardless of how you shot it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

dupersaurus posted:

Edit: is it worthwhile avoiding things with old battery types or is finding replacements not that bad?

Edit edit: looks like there are same-voltage replacements for the dreaded mercury batteries

Replacements are available. The one I got for my Spotmatic doesn't work but I think the light meter is just busted. I have some other weird modern battery for a Yashica that works fine. You may need to finagle a bit with a bit of rubber to get the battery to sit in place properly, I haven't had to but I've read about it. The minor voltage difference between the mercury batteries and the replacements doesn't seem to matter.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Huh. I didn't know that'd affect the meter, good to know. I have zinc-air in the one that works so that should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Got my test film back and looks like my cameras work properly, hooray. Can't see any light leaks even, though I think I should give the negatives a good look for that instead of my lovely pictures.

After I finished I was sitting around and thought "huh, I think I did the exposure backwards" and boy howdy did I. Whole bunch of trash. But I was really just checking if the cameras work so it's okay. Probably still going to clean the seals up and get some yarn in there even though it doesn't seem like there's a problem, they're old so it's time anyway.