Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Yay a new film thread. When the last one started, I talked about developing my own black and white film but I didn’t actually start until around the end of the thread. Now I am the master developer (not really)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

toadee posted:

Shaka1277:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5PrGMxUBb0
Has a very interesting result when cross processing in E-6 chemistry, virtually eliminating the grain present in the scanned result.

At least from all the photos (Youtuber and non-Youtuber alike) I've seen of Phoenix 200, he probably has the best scans so far.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
You know what, I couldn't put my finger on it but I just realized, a lot of these Phoenix 200 photos I've been seeing around look a lot like old Anscochrome.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
The person's Instagram says their theme is "the boundary between film and digital", so I wouldn't be surprised if some (or a lot) of those photos are done on a Fuji X series camera.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Cassius Belli posted:

hopster piss beer.

Man, remember like 10-12 years ago when IPAs were all the rage?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I bought pretty much all of my camera gear the past couple of years from Japanese sellers on eBay. Everyone’s covered everything about it: ignore the EXC++++/MINT/NEAR MINT ratings, read the descriptions, and look at the photos VERY carefully.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I will stan the Bronica GS-1 all day but I will say that I've been massively enjoying shooting with the Bronica S2A. I never really put much stock into 6x6 but shooting the format with the S2A has been surprisingly gratifying.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Megabound posted:

The S2s are very satisfying cameras to use and the small lenses are perfect. I usually take the 50 and 75 with me but will happily carry the 200 as well

I take the Holy Trinity with me (50, 75, 150). I’ve been thinking about getting the 200 but I have to curtail my spending for a while.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I've been kicking myself for the better part of a decade when I passed on buying an Arri SR3 package for $3000. :smith:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Film friends, what’s your recommended camera shop in Los Angeles? I’m headed there in a bit with my ME Super and I’d like to check out some film-friendly shops, pick up some rolls and maybe peruse some K-Mount lenses or something

Samy’s and Freestyle Photo

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
The EOS-1N is a great camera. The only nitpicky thing about it is that all five autofocus points are in a single row rather than a traditional diamond pattern, but it's not something that makes/breaks the camera or shooting experience.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Film that’s expired for a couple of years is fine to shoot at box speed.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
If you’re shooting B&W, I recommend shooting Kentmere 400 pushed 3 stops to 3200. It looks great that way.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I have a Sekonic L758Cine that I use for work since that's pretty much the standard in the film industry, but I just bought a Sekonic L308S to use as a backup/walk around light meter when I shoot on one of my film cameras without a light meter (Zeiss Super Ikonta and Bronica S2A). I've found using the incident meter for my film photography to be more enjoyable and more consistent than using any of my in-camera meters. I just take incident measurements with my hand shading the dome to mimic taking a reading in shade and that's what I set my aperture and shutter speed settings to and it's worked out really well.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
If you ever do get a Plaubel Makina 67, be gentle with extending the bellows and make sure it's focused at infinity every time you extend and retract it. The metering wiring is super fragile and is usually the first thing that breaks on them.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Lol yea, I saw that before. The heart of every Makina 67 owner froze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

big black turnout posted:

This is wild to me. I feel like it's the exact opposite and I almost exclusively hear about the vision stocks (and the god awful halation)

The key is to shoot on Vision stock with the remjet intact then developing in ECN-2.